• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2006 "Kuso Anime" nominated by 2Channelers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Every year, the famous Japanese Internet forum collective 2Ch holds a poll for "kuso anime," literally "shitty anime." A mirror/archive can be found here (in Japanese; reply #740), and my translation (corrections welcomed) follows:

=====Beginning of nominations=====

Grand Prize:
(The worst anime of the year)
Nominee: Galaxy Ange-lune (GA2), Musashi, Yoake Mae yori Ruri-iro na

Corrupted Screenplay:
(The story expected before it aired turned into something completely different)
Nominee: GA2, Tsuyokiss, Yoake, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Corrupted Animation:
(self explanatory)
Nominee: Yoake, Musashi

Make Forum User Go Berserk (i.e. flame stater):
(Fans, anti-fans, and even staff fight in huge flame wars that unrelated to the anime itself)
Nominee: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion, Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru, Kujibiki Unbalance, GA2

Topic Provider:
(Providing fashionable terms that even become news items)
Nominee: Haruhi Suzumiya, Code Geass, Yoake ("Cabbage"), Musashi, Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl

Worst Finale:
(Good or okay in the middle, but the last episode kills it)
Nominee: Magikano, Witchblade, Higurashi, Tsuyokiss, Kasimasi

Inferior Titles:
(Simply not exciting, feels like nonexistent, or feels your strength got drained after watching)
Nominee: Super Robot Taisen OG ~Divine Wars~, Gin-iro no Olynssis, Air Gear, Lovege Chu ~Miracle Seiyuu Hakusho~, Himawari!, SoulLink, Happiness!, Nishi no Yoki Majo (Good Witch of the West), Tona-Gura!, Coyote Ragtime Show

Worst Seiyuu:
(self explanatory)
Nominee: Air Gear, Bokura ga Ita, Himawari!!, Kirarin Revolution, Zegapain, Kekkaishi, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Lemon Angel Project

=====End of nominations=====

I was a bit surprised to see Coyote Ragtime Show got nominated in the "Inferior Titles" category, especially seeing it got generally positive opinions here after many users have watched its first episode through ADV. Shocked

By the way, I'm expecting someone to go berserk after seeing the first nominee. Cool

EDIT: Replace "Worst Last Episode" with "Worst Finale"

Last edited by dormcat on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
really? Tona-gura! made the list?? While it was the basic ecchi/fanservice title, I felt it had some redeeming charm about it. Of course though, one man's treasure is another man's garbage Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Enjeru wrote:
one man's treasure is another man's garbage

Words to live by. Wink Does Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru really start flame wars...about what I wonder.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Grand Prize:

Meh, there were titles a lot worse than Yoake from this year (namely stuff like Kiba). I've also heard rather good things about Galaxy Angel-lune (mainy from GA fans though). Musashi I'm not surprised to see on this list though, as I've heard things about it being named the "worst anime of the century" in Japan.

Quote:
(Fans, anti-fans, and even staff fight in huge flame wars that unrelated to the anime itself)
Nominee: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion, Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru, Kujibiki Unbalance, GA2

Heh, here at ANN it'd probably be Death Note, with the ongoing Manga Readers vs. Non-manga readers feud going on throughout the Death Note thread.

Quote:
Worst Finale:

I'm surprised that Utawarerumono wasn't nominated here. The spoiler["let's go sci-fi" nonsense] toward the end completely ruined the whole thing.

Quote:
Worst Seiyuu:
(self explanatory)
Nominee: Air Gear, Bokura ga Ita, Himawari!!, Kirarin Revolution, Zegapain, Kekkaishi, Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Lemon Angel Project

I actually thought Bokura ga Ita had rather good seiyuu. But maybe that's just me.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Anyone else find it really surprising that bland little Otome wa .... of all things ould be stirring up flamewars? Also interesting how utterly ignored Kujibiki Unbalance got over here despite Genshiken's popularity.

dormcat wrote:

I was a bit surprised to see Coyote Ragtime Show got nominated in the "Inferior Titles" category, especially seeing it got generally positive opinions here after many users have watched its first episode through ADV. Shocked

The studio's entire supply of creativity went into that episode, Its really an awful and at best painfully "meh"show after that. With some effort it could have been a poor man's Cowboy Bebop, but it can't even manage a poor man's Outlaw Star.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Quote:
Worst Finale:

I'm surprised that Utawarerumono wasn't nominated here. The spoiler["let's go sci-fi" nonsense] toward the end completely ruined the whole thing.

I thought its ending was terrible, too but then again the series was never too interesting.

On to my thoughts of the certain categories/nominees...
- Grand Prize: Wow, surprisingly Soul Link didn't get nominated! Shocked I consider one of '06's worst and yet I only saw its first 4 episodes. Laughing
- Worst Finale: I'll definitely agree about Magikano since it was a terrible series over all and Kasimasi as well. EDIT: Ergo Proxy should have gotten a nomination in this category as well.
- I avoided most of the Inferior Titles but Soul Link is the most famous of the bunch.
- I don't see why Bokura ga Ita got a Worst Seiyuu nomination. There's no need to plame the VAs because they play characters that're uninteresting and annoying. Laughing
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I support the horridness of Musashi in every category it's nominated for! I've never been so appalled by an anime in all my life (although the lettuce from Yoake is absolutely terrible).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
GA2 being nominated for so many categories does not surprise me. It's generally disliked by GA fans as a whole for not being what the first four seasons were. Personally, I liked it (does not mean much only seeing it raw though...).

frentymon wrote:
Quote:
Grand Prize:

Meh, there were titles a lot worse than Yoake from this year (namely stuff like Kiba). I've also heard rather good things about Galaxy Angel-lune (mainy from GA fans though).

Ya, that little GA forum of mine and a few others generally likes it. But I can tell you it's generally disliked. Should create a topic about this there now...
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi is under worst finale? Yikes, I better watch out.

Thanks for the translation.

/Stuck on episode 15 due to too many Chinese drama. T.T
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I never did understand all the hype surrounding the Cabbage. Anyhow, I predict that Musashi will sweep the contest.

Last edited by IvoryBirch on Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Not suprised that Musashi got nominated. I only saw a few seconds of it and couldn't watch anymore beyond that. The animation in that show is just awful.

Galaxy Angel-lune... I don't see anything terrible about that show. I've seen some of it and honestly it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It's different from the original GA, but nowhere near "worst anime ever".
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Higurashi is under worst finale? Yikes, I better watch out.

Thanks for the translation.

/Stuck on episode 15 due to too many Chinese drama. T.T

Well Higurashi is planning a second series which might be a continuation of the first season so be aware of that. Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Grand Prize:

Corrupted Animation:
(self explanatory)
Nominee: Yoake, Musashi

Yoake is pretty bad and one of the biggest disappointments of the year (in my experience at least), but the few scenes I've seen of Musashi tell me that it wins this hands down.

Quote:
Worst Finale:

I can somewhat understand Higurashi being nominated as it was rather corny and wasn't really the end. But its getting a new season to tell the remainder of the story.

Kashimashi suprises me as I've heard that it has a really good ending.

Quote:

Like Pleroma said, the first episode is the best, and while the next few episodes are decent, its downhill from there. Good action scenes are sparse, the plot is pretty bland for the most part (and stupid at times) and the characters are pretty dull. The Twelve Sisters have the best designs and they have little screentime (and even less of them destroying and killing) beyond the second episode. And they are still far more interesting than any of the main characters.

darkchibi07 wrote:

Well Higurashi is planning a second series which might be a continuation of the first season so be aware of that. Wink

I think its been confirmed that it is a continuation. There is no reason to remake it this quickly anyway.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I support the horridness of Musashi in every category it's nominated for! I've never been so appalled by an anime in all my life (although the lettuce from Yoake is absolutely terrible).

"He is being revived infront of Gandalfs very eyes!" "What, in front of me? Cool "

"OH GOD I DRANK TOO MUCH WINE" "CUT TIE!"

Gundoh Musashi seriously is some amazingly bad stuff. I'm hoping someone picks it up for release in the US, but knowing ADV (who'd probably be the only ones who'd buy it), they'd try and market it as some awesome Samurai Champloo meets Lupin the 3rd esque anime and not the amazingly horrible piece of shit that it actually is.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:17 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
dormcat wrote:

The studio's entire supply of creativity went into that episode, Its really an awful and at best painfully "meh"show after that. With some effort it could have been a poor man's Cowboy Bebop, but it can't even manage a poor man's Outlaw Star.
Laughing Laughing "poor man's Outlaw Star," that's just about enough for me to stroll over to directory N:\ and delete a certain folder. Maybe I'll check it out on DVD if the English dub is extremely good, but as much as I like the folks at ADV, I trust the tastes of my fellow forumites a bit more, and I'm getting the impression that I'd be better off not watching CRS at all. (After all, I only picked it up as an "Oh shi- it's licensed already I'd better grab these files while I can" DL after it was finished anyway.)

I'm also surprised to see so much hate for Yoake na -- sure, I'll admit it's not a great or even good show by any stretch of the imagination. But from the first 10 episodes, it's been a fairly decent, harmless eroge adaptation with some cute comedy and strategic use of chibis, which you don't see much in anime from the last 3-4 years. Maybe the vitriol is coming from disappointed fans of the game, but I'd place Yoake na in the same category as something like Lamune -- nothing spectacular, somewhat clichéd, but overall a relaxing "lite viewing" way to spend 12 episodes' worth of time for those who like this particular genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2