• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: World Copyright Watchdog Publishes Piece on Manga Piracy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Actually that is a gross misrepresentation of copyright you've got there Xanas...
To use a fine Disney example, just because Mickey is an anthropomorphic animated mouse does not mean your work cannot have one.

IP exists to give the rights to those who create and a framework for how their works should be treated. This let it all be released for free whether they want to or not is the least free, as the creators desires are ignored or even worse limited to only working with one group.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
How many great works have we been deprived of because the creator couldn't make anymore because people pirated the product?

How many scientists, doctors and teachers do we lose because people want to make millions in entertainment?

I have several friends who are studying to be scientists, teachers and even someone who want's to be a doctor. I actually asked one of my friends why he wanted to be scientist and he told me that there will always be a need for science in the world and the profession does pay very well if your very serious about it.

In theory, anyone could become a doctor, teacher or even scientist if they studied hard enough, were motivated/driven and have a desire to continuously learn new material. There are other requirements, but for the sake of the topic, I am going to list those.

I don't know about anyone else and can only speak for myself, but I know when I am completely serious about goal I want to achieve, I do fairly well in accomplishing that goal. However, sometimes it's not nearly as simple as that and hours, upon dozens of hours may go by before the finished result, is even as good as I'd like to be.

Anyway, while I am certainly not saying being a entertainer is easy (read: By no means, it is not easy in the least.) but compared to be a doctor, scientist or teacher, it is much easier to a certain degree. Now I am not going into specifics, as that is one can of worms not even I desire to open, but regardless, that is the reality of said situation.

On topic though, truth be told, manga piracy is a big deal and that being said, action should be taken. However, looking at the actions done in the past and present, I'd wager to say, although we have had some successes, we have also had our failures as well.

This is rather unfortunate, but it doesn't seem there will ever be a fix to problem that has grown in a giant nation wide issue. Going after individual IP's and groups of IP's has only warranted minor success, but given the extreme ease of changing an IP address, it's very hard to say how much success has been had.

There is likely going to be a solution, but I certainly don't have the answer. If I did, we wouldn't need talk about this issue as it would have been fixed already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7