• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Episode 7

Very good episode overall; I'm not someone who needs/wants anime-only additions or filler, but it was somewhat necessary here since they used this episode to finish up the plot thread from last week while getting the final bits of set-up ready for the rest of the arc-proper.

Very different animation style going on in this one and was noticeable right away in the cold-open, to mixed effect(at least for me). A couple of the sequences during the anime-extended fight between Mechamaru and Mahito stand out in particular: the VERY cool chase where we follow behind Mahito as he changes into multiple animals, and the less cool-but-still-cool-looking final clash inside the cockpit. The animation is messy and kinetic, and reminds me of that "Madara VS Shinobi Alliance" sequence from Naruto Shippuden ep 322. However, outside of these sequences I found the style to look....kind of bad semi-often? Characters look janky and off-model; during the latter half of the episode most of the civilian partiers(even the speaking ones based on their manga counterparts) look like they're from a completely different series. I can't recall if season 1 had any "bad" episodes as far animation goes, but this one is definitely the lowest of this season so far(again, aside from those action sequences). And even then, it's more a mixed bag of interesting, weird, and "huh?", rather than "this looks like dogshit". I love animation getting experimental, but this one was a little jarring following the previous 6 episodes of the season.

8/10

If anything, this episode was one of the best action episodes in the series so far. The only thing that really screws it over is the insane levels of ghosting, which can't be fixed in any way until the BD comes out. And that crowd animation in particular looked fantastic if anything else, having 2d crowds and them moving that much is not really easy.

Also, S1 had several scenes with absolutely terrible CG backgrounds and textures, which are pretty much completey absent from this season. It was not at all perfect.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Honestly, I really don't care about Mechamaru. Had Mappa chosen to to expand his screen time rather than show us that random three amigos moments from last week I would care about the guy. Also, his crush kinda came out of nowhere and even didn't fit because the blue haired girl was more into Gojo last season.

By the way, the narrator is Haman Karn!

Miwa wasn't into Gojo romantically. She just was just a fan of his and thought he was really cool. Gojo is basically a celebrity in the Jujutsu world because he's the strongest.

Nobody wants to see a dude nearing his 30s dating one of their teenage students. Come on.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:13 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Episode 7

Very good episode overall; I'm not someone who needs/wants anime-only additions or filler, but it was somewhat necessary here since they used this episode to finish up the plot thread from last week while getting the final bits of set-up ready for the rest of the arc-proper.

Very different animation style going on in this one and was noticeable right away in the cold-open, to mixed effect(at least for me). A couple of the sequences during the anime-extended fight between Mechamaru and Mahito stand out in particular: the VERY cool chase where we follow behind Mahito as he changes into multiple animals, and the less cool-but-still-cool-looking final clash inside the cockpit. The animation is messy and kinetic, and reminds me of that "Madara VS Shinobi Alliance" sequence from Naruto Shippuden ep 322. However, outside of these sequences I found the style to look....kind of bad semi-often? Characters look janky and off-model; during the latter half of the episode most of the civilian partiers(even the speaking ones based on their manga counterparts) look like they're from a completely different series. I can't recall if season 1 had any "bad" episodes as far animation goes, but this one is definitely the lowest of this season so far(again, aside from those action sequences). And even then, it's more a mixed bag of interesting, weird, and "huh?", rather than "this looks like dogshit". I love animation getting experimental, but this one was a little jarring following the previous 6 episodes of the season.

8/10

If anything, this episode was one of the best action episodes in the series so far. The only thing that really screws it over is the insane levels of ghosting, which can't be fixed in any way until the BD comes out. And that crowd animation in particular looked fantastic if anything else, having 2d crowds and them moving that much is not really easy.

Also, S1 had several scenes with absolutely terrible CG backgrounds and textures, which are pretty much completey absent from this season. It was not at all perfect.

I specifically highlighted the action sequences as being great. I was referring to the models of those in the crowd, not how they moved, and I never claimed anything in season 1 was perfect? Confused
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:41 am Reply with quote
Jay_Stone wrote:
I was more thinking about Gurren Lagann instead of Evangelion. Gurren Lagann spoilers:spoiler[That last fight sequence was probably a reference to final moment of the last battle where Simon was fighting the Anti-Spiral. Also, those pencil sketches made me think of the series too.]

It's both of them! The final climactic moment is indeed frame for frame an homage to that moment in Gurren Lagann. While most everything else is directly Evangelion, from the mech and cockpit design, to moments of Mechamaru sliding down hills, jumping over that hill with the behind the back tracking camera, and also kicking an angel after breaking its arms. Great stuff! It figures that a guy named Mechamaru might be an Eva fan in the JJK universe and based his mech off of Eva.

I suspect that Mechamaru did succeed in getting info to JJK. That notebook he left for Miwa feels like a Chekov's gun. A failsafe in case he died. Likely a legalistic way around the pact where he documented things, but technically didn't betray Mahito or Geto until the pact was completed. Mechamaru seems like the pessimistic cautious planning sort. Likely he got done in by overconfidence due to the high of getting a fixed body and the hopium of seeing his friends.

I don't see Gojo or Jujutsu high allowing civilians to get hurt even as a ploy to fall for Geto's trap and then upend it, so most likely Miwa discovers it late, and there may be some late stage info in there that'll help out.

The Kyoto school is notably absent from the teams, likely because none of them are special grade, but Toge is in the OP and didn't make the cut; or because their feeling about Mechamaru might hinder their judgment, but we know from the OP that Todo is going to be involved, and he'll likely have something to say for Mechamaru. I wonder if he and Yuji are together and following behind Gojo acting as Yuji's supervisor? Technically the demands didn't ask that Gojo be alone. Though due to a conflict of interest, Yuji could be supervised personally by the head principal, who has always been wary and critical of Yuji to the point of trying to get the Kyoto kids to kill him. But that guy was associated with Kyoto, unless he can do whatever he wants. Though it could also be Utahime, or Yaga, or a whole new character, like Panda's supervisor.

Well, most likely Todo wouldn't follow orders and would head over to Shinjuku on his own, knowing Yuji was there, and also for revenge for Mechamaru and the Kyoto school's honor.
ShadowC0N1012

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:04 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I suspect that Mechamaru did succeed in getting info to JJK. That notebook he left for Miwa feels like a Chekov's gun. A failsafe in case he died. Likely a legalistic way around the pact where he documented things, but technically didn't betray Mahito or Geto until the pact was completed. Mechamaru seems like the pessimistic cautious planning sort. Likely he got done in by overconfidence due to the high of getting a fixed body and the hopium of seeing his friends.

I hope this is the case. I didn't feel any particular way about Mechamaru, but when it got close to the end of the battle, I was hoping he'd find some way to at least escape. Miwa talking to the robot body was sad once everything was done.

The cut to Shibuya on Halloween seemed to fit the mood for the holiday lol. And based on what a friend has been telling me about this arc (I haven't read the manga), it's about to get hella dark.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I also kind've felt like Mechamaru's crush on Miwa came a bit out of nowhere. It seems like a good idea, but execution-wise I would have liked to see some more foundational work / foreshadowing of it earlier in the story.

Still, I'm enjoying this quite a lot, and am terrified/excited for (my guesses about) what comes next; so much so that, had I the will power for it, I'd be tempted to wait until season's end so I can binge the whole thing. Having to be very careful about spoilers, though; the general hype around this arc seems to really be boiling over from manga readers!
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
This fight was totally fine, but the studio’s (?) choice to blur/ghost the animation made it look way worse than it was. Frustrating.

BTW, this wasn’t the first fight in the manga, but they moved it up because it’s the least important.
MuddyYoshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:52 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
This fight was totally fine, but the studio’s (?) choice to blur/ghost the animation made it look way worse than it was. Frustrating.

BTW, this wasn’t the first fight in the manga, but they moved it up because it’s the least important.

The ghosting is mandated by Japanese TV regulations (thanks Porygon), but it’s the TV network/distributor’s decision to give the ghosted version to streaming services, and for whatever reason whoever is handling the ghosting is doing a truly atrocious job with it. Honestly, it’s starting to make the show unwatchable to me, and I do hope Crunchyroll and other streamers are able to get unghosted versions down the line, though I do find that very unlikely. Otherwise, we just have to wait for the Blu-ray.

Last edited by MuddyYoshi on Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I completely forgot how everybody said the Shibuya arc is trying to imitate the Chimera arc narrator included. We have both Gon and Itadori winning the first simple fight for the sake of hyping the protagonists with some exposition but I don't remember well how much was in the former.

Honestly, Itadori isn't that interesting unless he is into despair like that time from season 1 where Sukuna and Mahito completely mocked his failures. I know Itadori will fight Mahito again but it seems next episode will be focused more on Gojo and whatever Geto plans to use against him. Maybe at least give Itadori more characters to interact in the fights.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Definetily the weakest episode in this season so far, specially since it had quite a few moments of unpolished animation and questionable direction choices. Particularly, the awkward close-ups during the grasshopper curse fight. And of course, the continuous ghosting doesn't help.

Not that surprising when you find out this episode was directed by Hiroyuki Kitakubo, someone who hasn't had any major directoral work in over two decades, and who's latest contribution was just a single episode of Records of Ragnarok.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember that Mechamaru crushing subtly on Miwa was hinted in a Juju Stroll.

Miwa's definitely the resident cute girl. Even Gojo said so!

Also, yeah, this ep wasn't that great except towards the end where shit started getting real. But that's 'great' by JJK standards, so still pretty good.

Wasn't Geto working on long distance teleportation? It should work on anything he touches, right? If he released his domain, then technically he can 'touch' anyone in it, right? So he could clear everyone out of there, unless the domain locking the civilians in there is actually that powerful rules-wise.

I think Yuji and the others are being set up. The other location's domains seem like they are part of the trap and Geto intends that they be destroyed, likely as some trigger to trap Gojo, but ironically tricking the JJK crew into trapping Gojo themselves.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and I recognize that I have been properly spoiled by Chainsaw Man's commitment to eschewing all of the power-scale nonsense and dedicating all of its time and energy on the raw, visceral bloodshed.

True! And so many fans ripped the adaptation apart, true shame that.
ShadowC0N1012

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that people have an issue with the ghosting. I didn't even know what it was until recently (and not sure I completely understand lol). People on Twitter/X were even getting into heated discussions about it in this ep of JJK, comparing it to other anime. I guess I might have lower standards, because the animation looked fine to me. Besides, not everyone can be Ufotable lol. I will say that the fighting in the hallways was a little disorienting.

Overall, the ep was ok. This is still the beginning of the arc, so I'm optimistic about the quality holding up as it goes on.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:45 am Reply with quote
ShadowC0N1012 wrote:
Interesting that people have an issue with the ghosting...I guess I might have lower standards, because the animation looked fine to me

I think I'd not have found it remarkable in most anime; it definitely felt a cut below what JJK has generally provided visually, though,, since I normally associate JJK with easily and clearly followed but complex and impressively detailed fight choreography.

Of course, the script and source material for that fight didn't seem all that impressive either. Transplant one-off Terraformars' side character versus Itadori -- I guess if you're going to throw your weaker art/direction at an episode, that's probably the right one. Gojo's entrance into the bubble in the previous episode, coupled with the general fandom hype (not a manga reader), gave me mild chills, so this one was a bit of a let down to start out the Shibuya arc fights on, for me. Very Happy
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, but we wasted no time after that getting to some of the good stuff! spoiler[Although, I don't think Gojo's sealing hit me quite as hard as I was expecting. And, I'm not sure I like the "Actually, it was I, ... we may not have met before but I'm Brain Demon? ..., all along!" reveal very much. Hoping there's more to that; there's too much narrative meat to Gojo being taken down by his oldest friend.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 58