• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Gets New TV Anime by Liden Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
#Mikachu wrote:
It was handled in a way deemed appropriate in HIS country and HIS country's culture. The fact you don't like the manner or severity of how it was handled is irrelevant to the situation. You don't have to like it nor do you have to contribute to his works in any degree if you so choose. For the record, I personally don't agree with how the whole situation was handled either but whining on an internet forum isn't going to change something that happened and was RESOLVED years ago. Don't give it your attention and move on. Or, you can do as I do and separate a person's works from themselves.

I don't know what you're trying to argue. People have every right to criticize the way the situation was handled because Japan giving slaps on the wrist to pedos, yet harshly criminalizing things like drug use for example is dumb and wrong.

And it's irresponsible and ridiculous to try to separate the art from the artists. You really can't. Art is directly influenced by said artist, and this guys is still alive and well directly reaping the benefits of those who support his stuff. So it doesn't matter what you tell yourself or what you try to ignore.

A lot of us are Kenshin fans, but anyone who actually cares aren't going to support this man and hopefully encourage others to do the same. Similar to things like J.K. Rowling. A lot of us out here loved Harry Potter growing up, but aren't going to support a bigoted TERF who uses her money and influence to directly attack vulnerable communities.

The stuff doesn't matter more than the very real people that were hurt and suffering. So if you don't care, then just own up to that. Consuming your anime is apparently just more important than having some self control and principles to not support a convicted pedo.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
If you ever needed proof that cancel culture is a myth, look no further than Nobuhiro Watsuki.

Tell me about it. This dude should not have a career at all after what the cops found.

Totally. It makes me angry that people still defend Watsuki's for his crimes, but meanwhile everyone is still angry at Michael Jackson, Bryan Singer, Victor Salva, Woody Allen, and Roman Polanski. Two wrongs don't make a right. You are hurting people by buying CP because you are giving sexual predators money to hurt more kids.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't get the appeal of Rurouni Kenshin that people are so nostalgic for it that they're willing to overlook Watsuki's disgusting crimes when there's a lot better samurai anime out there by better creators who are decent people like Gintama, Samurai Champloo, Sword of the Stranger, and Seven Samurai.

I'm surprised you didn't list down Lone Wolf & Cub, Lady Snowblood, Samurai Executioner, Vagabond, and Shigurui. Have you read or seen those titles before? Those titles blow RK out of the water in my opinion.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
If people want to enjoy art from bad people, they can. People still need to be aware of their crimes or bigotry while they enjoy their art. Charlie Chaplin was a total creep, but he still made some of the best movies in human history. HP Lovecraft and J. R. R. Tolkien are racist not-so-nice-people, but I still love their stories.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But even though Kenshin is supposedly big in Japan and Western white fans keep using "cultural differences" as their argument to defend Watsuki, I find it noteworthy they dumped the Kenshin anime on a lesser studio like Liden Films and not a bigger studio like MAPPA or even the original company, Studio Deen.
Loading MAPPA even more than what was hung on them already with their workload production is even bigger crime against the actual people, let them rest already! Plus Deen is actually not the best choice either, and actually even worse than LIDEN when it comes to modern production - Orphen is quite bad, and 7DS last season is notoriously known for it's bottom-hitting animation (which they are outsourced to other studio outside of Japan).

LIDEN in other way got the major breakthrough hit recently with the Tokyo Revengers - so that's probably the reason why they are chosen.

7Ds's movie had a better prodctoion than season 3 and 4

also orphen was fine and wasn't that bad from a production stand-point.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't quote your whole exchange with Badnews, Oby, but since Maidenoftheredhand did, I can see that yeah, I absolutely stand by what I said. In fact, your reply of "context matters" doesn't really work, because you are still trying to defend/dismiss his actions regardless.

I'm not going to shame you or anyone else for continuing to support a convicted pedophile, but own up to it. If you don't care, cool, good for you.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Cleaning up thread. Unfortunately several good posts had to be removed as well, as they referenced posts that needed to be removed.

Last edited by Errinundra on Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:21 pm Reply with quote
YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSS!
ebronstein

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I waited. And waited. In spite of everything (and you know what I mean by that) I knew this day would come. Hopefully when it comes time for a dub we can get the original cast, and and have this include the Jinchu and current Hokkaido arc.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, pretty much everything that needs to be said has been said. Watsuki is a pedophile; he's admitted it. He contributed to harming children by buying CP and nothing he's done in the years since has convinced me that he is truly repentant. He barreled right back into work and profiting on RuroKen as soon as he could instead of stepping back. This comes off more as a guy who wants people to forget his crimes rather than someone who wants to atone for them. He has done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt and the people in the industry who have enabled him deserve side-eye until further notice. My only solace is that the studio doing it has a lackluster track record.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The amount of people bending over backwards to defend Watsuki to the point of claiming "he didn't harm anyone" should be proof that his "punishment" was not only insufficient but actively harmful, giving the public the idea that his was a minor victimless crime instead of what it really was: actively financing the sexual exploitation of children

If you still want to consume and financially support RK that's your choice and no one can force you to stop, but at least take a minute to reflect why you feel so inclined to justify or defend the actions of a confessed pedophile. You can watch the new RK anime if you want without disrespecting child abuse victims by claiming Watsuki's crimes "never harmed anyone" or that "he kept his sexual preferences to himself"
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand about the law at the time he would be facing a fine and possibly a year in prison; also from what I read about it, it was legal up till somewhat recently before that but I’m not quite sure when the laws changed. He ended up getting a fine and lost his job for 6 months.

Anyway, hopefully it’s good kenshin was one of my favourites.
jlaking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
If you look at the YouTube comments on the Aniplex trailer, no one is commenting on the author's CP issue. Seems like that fact did not enter the public consciousness, or that they forgot about it.

Or that Aniplex are deleting posts about the author's CP issue.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
If you look at the YouTube comments on the Aniplex trailer, no one is commenting on the author's CP issue. Seems like that fact did not enter the public consciousness, or that they forgot about it.

I doubt it. People on Reddit are complaining about people complaining about it on this site. Not many going after him on Reddit either.
Lol
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Oby wrote:

You only prove my point with your Harry Potter argument. Fans of the franchise know that the author is terrible but they can't let go of the Harry Potter media and still buying the merchandises and watch the recent Fantastic Beast movies as well as watching the old HP movies in various streaming services which will still give profit to Rowling and support her agenda no matter how hard they denounce her. It's not that much different from Watsuki's case. So, if you're okay with the Harry Potter situation, why not the RK situation?

Reasonably certain that you won't find many people who refuse to support RK in any way but still reads HP. There is just very little overlap between those. (unless they are either very ignorant of what JKR is doing or just transphobic).
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Dynamo- wrote:
jlaking wrote:

I doubt it. People on Reddit are complaining about people complaining about it on this site. Not many going after him on Reddit either.
Lol

Yeahhhh, Reddit has never been like the litmus test for human decency. And "not many people complaining" doesn't equal "bad thing is actually good thing". It just means there are a lot of folks out there who either don't care or totally condone supporting a convicted pedophile. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10