• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Part

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
The thing that surprised me most about this series was the pace. when i found out its been two years since Rudy was in Roxy's village, i was super surprised. i assumed it had been maybe 6 months to a year.

The other thing that surprised me was the scene in the beginning where everyone was trying to spar with the Superd, I thought O it time skipped ahead to them arriving but the next scene was him leaving the village where he met his father and on the boat back to his home country. i appreciate the comic relief, but it kind of confused me why it was there.

I also need to rewatch the episode when Rudy was in the village. i thought there were more people who could talk (non-telepathically)

I guess we could call this 2 break through episodes in a row, Rudy with his father and Roxy with her parents

That's how languages evolve. Kind of like how in India you have hundreds of dialects, and one official dialect. Its not unheard of for people to prefer to stick to their own dialect than learn another one.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Man God doesn't feel like a presence that belongs to Mushoku Tensei's world, and that seems deliberate for an anime that's extremely precise about every other aspect of its visual presentation.

I absolutely agree with this. I'm so glad that the anime didn't take the easy route and follow the narration from the LNs, where spoiler[Rudeus compares his inability to see or remember exactly what the Man-God looks like to video pixelation]. That was fine as a description in a book, but I'm sure it would have looked terrible in animation.

The distinct visual identity that the anime gives Shirone is another embellishment on the LNs that really elevates the material. I continue to be blown away by every aspect of this production. (A new opening theme for every region the character's visit is another nice touch. I wonder if the first OP will come back when they do finally make it home.)

That said, I have to agree that this isn't a particularly strong moment in the story. A lot of gags and some setup, but the drama just isn't there. I suppose you could argue that it's a breather between more serious story beats, but it's still not a great one. The LN spoiler[does a little to establish Pax as a kind of worst-case counterpart to Rudeus through Roxy's letters earlier on—someone who squandered his talent by refusing to study and embracing his worst instincts—]but it's never well developed or presented enough to be impactful.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't have much of a problem with Pax as presented here because even as he was saying all those horrible he wants to do , it's clear that the narrative (or even Rudy) don't take his threats all that seriously so he kind of looks like a buffoon that just talks big but has no idea what he's doing or how to pull off any of his threats. That's why I think Rudy looks pretty unfazed by his words and instead is mostly exasperated by the holes in his logic and his idiocy.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
The description of the prince as a cartoon villain is pretty spot on and at the time while reading this in the novel I thought it was a bit over the top. In hindsight though I feel like it was a very deliberate stylistic choice. For the most part Rudeus has had this happy go lucky journey and this part is pretty much that on steroids. LN 6/ end of season spoilers spoiler[ In a weird way the lack of tension gives you a false sense of security and leaves you unprepared for how dark the story is about to get. Up until this point you feel like Rudy and crew have a handle on everything, and this clown is no different. The next guy he meets wrecks that sense of security]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of hilarious and sad that yet another of Rudy's little sisters doesn't like him but for entirely different reasons. Rudy's less than stellar behavior as a child finally came back to bite him, including the sacred panties.

Aisha seems like a really adorable, bright, and polite girl. I'm curious how she'd play off Norn.

Pax seemed bad back when Roxy was frying him for sexually harassing her all the time, but it seems like he's gone off the deep end. Even by the show's standards he seems overtly cartoonish in how disgusting and vile he is. I've also seen some people point out how he's basically the worse version of Rudy, so there's I guess some narrative purpose in that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the evil prince Pax talks like a character from a hentai, what with his explicit motivation of wanting to... sigh... rape Roxy in front of Rudeus

Is this such an uncommon thing. Considering our own history, this doesn't really feel like a stretch at all. In the past, a lot of people in power, wanted things, and they just took them. You get in their way, and you were killed. If you wanted to show your power, doing what was listed above in the quotes, was one such way.

There were plenty of evil people in power just like that throughout history. I think we diminish the damning impact of evil, by pretending such things are rare. Saddam Hussein's sons regularly kidnapped women and girls off the streets, and the families were lucky if they every came back alive. Let's not forget what happened to Nadia Comăneci after her success in the Olympics. So I don't think this is cartoonish at all, but rather a thing that happens when evil is allowed to grow into power.
SigTheSauceMan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Uh... wasn't Lilia supposed to be raising Aisha to revere Rudy? So unless Aisha actually approves/is fine with Rudy's perverted nature, someone has some explaining to do. After Norn basically hating Rudy as soon as they reunited, I was really hoping Aisha would be different (but whatever happens next, I'm sure it'll all be sorted out when Rudy inevitably saves Lilia, which Aisha will have no choice but to acknowledge). Also I'm pretty sure Rudy is more than strong enough to break that barrier if it was meant for Roxy since Rudy is already way above Roxy's level.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'm totally confused where they were heading, i thought they were heading back home to take Eris back home to her England like country, Now they are in a Eastern Style Country.

The other thing that seemed off to me is there seemed to be a large time skip. I can never understand (especially with the last couple episodes) what the timeline of the series is. I think part of that was believing until later in the episode Roxy wasn't there.

I can also hear the Ghosts from Season 1 Forums talking about how Rudy is finally getting repercussions for his behavior in the beginning of the series.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
I'm totally confused where they were heading, i thought they were heading back home to take Eris back home to her England like country, Now they are in a Eastern Style Country.

The other thing that seemed off to me is there seemed to be a large time skip. I can never understand (especially with the last couple episodes) what the timeline of the series is. I think part of that was believing until later in the episode Roxy wasn't there.

I can also hear the Ghosts from Season 1 Forums talking about how Rudy is finally getting repercussions for his behavior in the beginning of the series.

Yes they are heading to Eris's country but ofc they are gonna pass various countries of various cultures to get there(also they obviously took a detour cause of Hitogami's advice.)

A lot of time has passed cause while the important events we've seen so far don't last that long,the time needed to traverse these distances(while also fighting some monsters on the way) is quite big.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
due to presentation, the problem with pax is present and correct,spoiler[he gets developed later, which retroactively fixes him, but that's talk for another season]

first about the worl and time of travel, as the anime dropped the ball hard by not showing the world map. center a map of earth in japan, to the right is northamerica ( demon continent) and southamerica ( milis), dead end started in newyork then traveled south ( 1.5 years) to the port, then took a boat to southamerica (milis ), here they travel to the west most port and take a boat to eurasia ( the central continent ), it took them another 6 months to do that last part , much faster than traveling thru the demon continent partly because the roads in milis are bette and partly because getting money from Paul meant they doe not have to stop to make money.

So, they got to eurasia by the china/thailand , etc... side , they will still have to travel to the middle of the central continent, the europe of eurasia, specifically to france. a question that always comes up is why they did not travel thru the north ( Alaska and rusia ), the answer is that the route is super harsh, so it actually takes longer and you put your life at a higher risk,.its cold, it has tall mountains, etc.. mountain ranges are a huge blocker in traveling ( in the map you can see that mountain ranges are always named dragon something, make your own conclusions on that).

yes Rudy's comeuppance on his behaviour is happening, and as he is getting older people are les likely to put up with it, as seen in the beast village and the church.

i like how they turned on the " eris might like rudy" switch, i have learned to trust the staff as there was no need to hammer it if they can do it more elegantly. i noticed that some.foreshadowing this season is actually more elegant i the anime than it is in the novel. ( side jab to the mangas original foreshadowing having the elegance of a hipopotamus wearing a tuxedo ).

oh, i have a small complain from the anime, it failed to convey how elated rudy was about meeting Roxy, that's the reason he acted like an idiot and fell in the trap.

and damn, another intro song, the theory is that they will get recycled if we go back to their area, which worries me if we spend too much time in a single place.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
This episode was hilarious to me, from Zenoba's Otaku obsession with the Roxy figure (and apparently not the real thing unlike his shitty brother), to the reveal that Rudy's little sister new it was him the whole time. But what really slayed me was the reveal that you can actually pre-order that Roxy figure complete with cast off feature so the episode was literally a commercial.

And to be fair, while Rudy was definitely pretty passive here, he WAS saved by his own actions...just in an unintended and delayed fashion.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Rudeus' passivity through the episode was merely just trusting in the providence of the man-god which basically told him to just try trusting him and do what he suggested this time and that things would work out. So all in all, Rudeus did just that and it did turn out well. So that was the lesson.

I do like that the anime is doing things the manga didn't and even doing things better here and there. I do wish there'd be a bit more emphasis on Lilia seeing Rudeus finally, as it's been a long time, and while they have their great little moment to the side, it would've been good to have a small moment of them finally seeing each other again for the first time.

Also the Roxy-Figure scene was great and I like how they even managed to spin the panty-thing into a positive moment.
Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, they could've done better with Zanoba's scenes. Novel did it quite impactful imo, same with Aisha's case, unlike novel, anime clearly showed Eris slipped her tongue a few time, which made the ending kinda predictable.

Btw, since the title of the next episode is "Turning Point 2", every non-manga/novel readers should stay away from all things related to Mushoku if you don't want to be spoiled and experience to be ruined.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think anyone seeing this story for the first time would have expected to see Pax's otaku brother suddenly barge in

I sure didn't, because I didn't know (or notice?) he had an otaku brother. Was he mentioned or shown before this episode? If so, then I guess my goldfish brain still made him seem very deus.exe to me. -_-'
Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
I don't think anyone seeing this story for the first time would have expected to see Pax's otaku brother suddenly barge in

I sure didn't, because I didn't know (or notice?) he had an otaku brother. Was he mentioned or shown before this episode? If so, then I guess my goldfish brain still made him seem very deus.exe to me. -_-'

It was before the turning point episode. When Roxy looked at the sky and Pax coming from behind, trying to molest her, we can see Zanoba briefly as he was passing the door. Though anime-only viewers could not know who he was back then so it's easy to forget.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11