• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Keijo Won the Gold in Fanservice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
The one offensive thing I find in Keijo!!!!!!!! is the presentation of the lesbian Kusakai as someone who routinely assaults the other girls. That's a tired and insulting characterization of gay people of either gender, but sadly one not uncommon in anime.
shadowbringer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The one offensive thing I find in Keijo!!!!!!!! is the presentation of the lesbian Kusakai as someone who routinely assaults the other girls. That's a tired and insulting characterization of gay people of either gender, but sadly one not uncommon in anime.

to me, from what I've seen of her in the manga, I suppose that she's a deeper character than she appears, even though not much was shown so far:

- she seems to be good at reading situations (for example, she knew that the training camp would have a practice race to help evaluate the trainee's progress), people and adjusting to them (there's even the possibility that she could've finished her opponents of the first East/West war match faster, but instead let her partners fight so that they would improve as players; or that she helped Aoba advance to the Elite Class so that her roommates would improve more with her around, already looking forward to increasing her school's winning chances in the East/West war)
- at one moment in the manga, she comments about being jealous of the bond that Nozomi has with her friends (so it's possible that Mio has a loner personality, despite her flirty appearance)
- while she makes such a visible front about harassing other girls, she never actually tries to get them to love her (as they don't have mutual attraction towards each other, she doesn't attempt to actually force one). It's a big enough difference for me (compared to other anime examples), in Mio's case, in that she's a smart person who can see ahead and (like I said above) read other people and situations, does help people (and is probably wary of helping too much, like with Nozomi's turnip training) and can be scary in the one time she's shown to be angry (when she told Aoba that while she thought that Aoba's shyness was cute, she would never lose to someone who's like that. The anime didn't adapt that, though); being (or acting) flirty fortunately isn't all that defines her behavior and character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7