• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Listed as Promoting Smile Precure to Licensees as Glitter Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
As far as I know, Italy airs Precure without compromising its content, and it has worked fine for them. Why is it that the US feels the need to localize things to the point of eliminating any element that might identify the show as Japanese?

This is my concern as well. I feel like the US is looking more and more ridiculous for still doing this kind of thing in 2015. Of course, we're better than we were in the 90s, but I feel (rightfully so) like we're becoming a quick target for mockery as every other country that got PreCure could pull off a dub that didn't have to do major cuts or the kind of significant dialogue changes that Saban Brands is known for doing to make it so-called marketable. I'm not demanding that we leave every single Japanese thing in it (especially if certain things are legitimately in need of cultural context), but...the whole "US ruining everything because it can't treat things with respect" thing isn't being helped here.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought television networks wanted to avoid anime as primetime material because they ultimately have zero control over the product. To even make it viable, in their view, for TV consumption means spending thousands of man hours on 'fixing' every single episode, only to have a license for a show and for a toy line that will eventually expire. And if it is successful, you'll never be able to make any more unless you do your own animation, which will inevitability be a crime against humanity much like Robotech Shadow Chronicles.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
If this is edited to bits and gets on TV, it will do way more positive for anime in America than the hardcore anime fans only release you guys are begging for. Honestly, it's Precure. Hasn't this thing been running for decades and tons of people get a crack at it and it's got spinoffs for days?

It's pretty whored out and everyone is happy to do whatever to put a buck in their pocket with the franchise. Not sure why changing the name to Glitter Force is suddenly the franchise being done wrong.

GATSU wrote:
They can release it however they want. These companies still don't know shit about marketing to girls. That Supergirl show will be more successful than it. Rolling Eyes

Avengers 2's box office receipts is like the size of the entire Japanese anime market. Stuff in that wheelhouse is guaranteed to be bigger than anime and it's not an insult to say so. It's just like, duh, of course.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
Why is it that the US feels the need to localize things to the point of eliminating any element that might identify the show as Japanese?

I get this suspicion that Saban thinks kids in the U.S. are either too stupid or too young to know what Japan is, which is absurd since even little kids who play Pokemon know that it's a Japanese property.
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The choice of title for Saban Brand's English language edition of Smile Precure may sound odd, but if it does air in Canada, I look forward to watching it (long time since a Pretty Cure show aired in Canada) and hope it is a Nielsen ratings hit there as its nielsen ratings success (if to happen) could lead to a new rise of female-led superhero shows on North American television.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
If this is edited to bits and gets on TV, it will do way more positive for anime in America than the hardcore anime fans only release you guys are begging for. Honestly, it's Precure. Hasn't this thing been running for decades and tons of people get a crack at it and it's got spinoffs for days?

Sure, the public at large may be okay with the re-branding, Americanizing, and 17% percent episode count of Precure right now, but I wouldn't expect that feeling to last forever...

Thanks to the Internet, viewers of the show that are curious enough will be able to spot the differences between the Japanese and [edited] English versions of it in a flash.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Y'all need to calm the **** down. Show isn't even out yet and you're already calling it the worst thing ever.

Seriously, chill. It's just a show, for little children.

Last edited by Eldritcho on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
But anyways, since I went though the topic and no one mentioned it yet, I guess no one remembered that the first Pretty Cure actually happened in English, faithfully dubbed, though with name changes to match the characters.

Some of us remember it, the only problem was that it aired only on YTV in Canada, Pop Girl in the UK & Cartoon Network in Australia & New Zealand and it's believed that it didn't do well on either network (it sure didn't on YTV) hence why it's sequel, Max Heart, never got dubbed.

Quote:
I mean, they even keep the title name with no repercussions and even keeps the OP/ED too.

Not exactly, both were changed & shortened for time. The opening used a different song while the ending used an instrumental of that song. They had some footage of both videos but they also used clips from early episodes.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Some of us remember it, the only problem was that it aired only on YTV in Canada, Pop Girl in the UK & Cartoon Network in Australia & New Zealand and it's believed that it didn't do well on either network. It sure didn't on YTV, hence why it's sequel, Max Heart, never got dubbed.
---
Not exactly, both were changed & shortened for time. The opening used a different song while the ending used an instrumental of that song. They had some footage of both videos but they also used clips from early episodes.

Hmm, well that's what I thought, maybe I heard or watched it that way somewhere else, but oh well.

But yeah, in all honesty, we'll have to see one day how "faithful" they'll try to localize this.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the show isn't even out, and people already hate it for being a "hack job", or being "butchered".

I mean, it's not like Saban isn't doing a good job with Power Rangers: Dino Charge at the moment or anything ridiculous like that. Rolling Eyes

This can go either way; how's about we wait for the show to air before we call this crap?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Honestly the titles for the Precure series have always baffled me. This says nothing against the content of the shows themselves, just the odd word salad of their titles.
Surely Suite Precure's title is relevant to the musical motifs of the series.

And as a side note, Suite has a "neutral" setting and far fewer overtly Japanese elements than Smile and most other series, so you'd think it would be a better candidate for international reversioning.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

It's pretty whored out and everyone is happy to do whatever to put a buck in their pocket with the franchise. Not sure why changing the name to Glitter Force is suddenly the franchise being done wrong.
I would have less of a problem with Saban heavily editing their anime dubs if they actually bothered to release the official subbed version on home video for American fans instead of these unstable streaming subbed releases. I'm not sure why some anime fans seem to think the only alternatives to releasing kid's anime in the U.S. is to either heavily edit the show or not have any release at all. Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Cardcaptor Sakura all had several different versions of their shows in the U.S. and they did just fine. The problem again is Saban only releases dubbed only stuff and occasionally streams badly translated Digimon subs on random websites that they take down at random times but won't give us on DVD for reasons unknown. If we could be guranteed Saban would release Pretty Cure subbed on DVD for the fans who want it, I doubt most fans would care. As it stands, we're not likely to ever have it uncut on video.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
I'm tired of these "dubs" who insult the intelligence of everyone watching them. If this tactic was successful at least... But no! Digimon's first 4 seasons were edited, but they were still Digimon and were successful. Then season 5 and 6 got butchered beyond recognition; how did that work out? Carcaptor Sakura was successful in France where it was dubbed true to the original with only annoying name changes to contend with; how successful was the american version again? One Piece got to 50 something episodes under its edited umbrella, FUNimation is about to dub episode 400 uncut and France's uncut broadcast of the show has been highly successful as well. Naruto and Bleach were both successful in spite of their heavily Japanese cultural elements. Bakugan may have had some unsavory edits, but it retained its names, culture and plot and was rather successful still. Jewelpet is being dubbed properly in France and is a big hit.

People aren't pissed because they don't understand its being edited for kids, they're pissed because its entirely unnecessary and highly insulting for the intended audience. At this point, I just think these companies don't know how to do business because Winx Club is a big hit in France, Italy and countless other regions yet its having difficulty in america. Perhaps its not the audience, perhaps its the idiots handling the show.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
There's already the dub of the original Pretty Cure season from Blue Water, Toei, and YTV that has aired in pretty much every English-speaking country BUT the US. 4Kids also briefly had the series at one point before dropping it without doing anything with it. I've never actually watched the show though, nor do I plan on ever doing so, but I do have some things to say about this license:

1. It's clear the series was not making it's way over here any other way.

2. The series is obviously for children, and it makes sense to do all you can to market it to them.

3. The title "Pretty Cure" is a bit strange and awkward anyway.

4. Saban's dubs are usually done with Studiopolis now, and usually turn out fine, voice acting-wise.

I won't watch, but I don't really see how this is a bad thing.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Well I'm never one to judge a book by its cover (even if the books pages have been torn out rearranged with new dialogue and some chapters erased then given a completely different cover) I still can't voice my opinions until I actually read that newly edited book. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10