• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
VOTING FOR:
Ash Ketchum & Friends vs. Team Rocket Pokemon
The Digidestined vs. Myotismon Digimon
-Can't beat my childhood memories here on these two match ups!
Team Dai-Gurren vs Anti-Spiral Gurren Lagann
Botan24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Voting For:
Isamu Dyson vs Guld Bowman - Macross Plus
Kaname vs Zero - Vampire Knight
Kouga vs Iga ninja clans - Basilisk
Naruto vs Sasuke - Naruto franchise
Vash vs Knives - Trigun
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Nominating
Sayaka Miki vs. Kyoko Sakura, Puella Magi Madoka Magica pic
Type of Conflict: Competing Magical Girls, Ideological Foes
What It's All About: In order to sustain their magical energy, Puella Magi need to collect Grief Seeds from defeated Witches. When Kyoko arrives in Mitakihara and finds the novice magical girl Sayaka patrolling the area, she takes hostile action to claim the area.
Why They Should Win: The major source of conflict between Kyoko and Sayaka is their opposing beliefs regarding how a Puella Magi should act. Kyoko's cynicism, born of her tragic past, leads her to act only for her own benefit, often at the expense of others. Sayaka, on the other hand, wants to save as many people even at the risk of her own well being. While in most magical girl shows, this conflict would ultimately end with Sayaka attempting to befriend and convert Kyoko to the more idealistic outlook, PMMM has a more sinister worldview, and the two attempt to fight to the death instead.

Mink vs. Veena, Dragon Half pic
Type of Conflict: Full Contact Romantic Rivals, Family Feud
What It's All About: Both these half-human girls have massive crushes on teen hearthtrob Dick Saucer with dreams of marrying him. Beyond that, Veena's father, the king, once sent Mink's father to capture a (female) red dragon, but the latter fell in love with the dragon and betrayed the king, and the grudge lingers.
Why They Should Win: As Mink has the strength of a dragon, and Veena is an accomplished sorceress, when the two get into a spat over their supposed beau-to-be, destruction and hilarity ensue.

Voting For
Isamu and Guld, Macross Plus
Shizuo and Izaya, Durarara!
Team Dai-Gurren and the Anti-Spirals, Gurren Lagann

Voting Against
Natsuro Senou, Kampfer - While I understand the for-the-lulz factor, Key's eligibility requirements specifically state "A strong sense of rivalry or strong adversarial feelings must be present," and by the very nature of being the same person, this isn't possible in this case. Furthermore spoiler[Kaede, the third vertex of this particular love triangle, knows the truth of his female identity and only pretends to be interested in her/him at all because she's the villain and can use this to easily manipulate her/him.]

On another note, I hope someone nominates Alucard vs Alexander Anderson, and Mugen vs Jin. I haven't seen the shows recently enough to feel confident writing up their entries, and don't own either series.

I also plan to write nominations for Nanoha vs Vita, Fate vs Signum (both Nanoha A's), Takeda vs Kenshin, Yukimura vs Masamune (both Sengoku Basara), and Harima vs Hanai (School Rumble), but probably won't have time before Friday. Possibly Daisuke vs Claire (Heat Guy J), too.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
F***ing.... browser crash... Let's try this again.

Nominate:
Kamina/Simon vs Viral, Gurren Lagaan pic
Type of Conflict: Adversaries of Opposing Sides, Respected Rivalry

What It's All About: Kamina and Simon are leaders of Team Gurren and pilots of Gurren Lagaan. Viral is a top soldier amongst the beast men and respected amongst them and the Four Generals. Pushed back and scarred by Kamina in one on one combat and tasting defeat at the hands of Gurren Lagaan, an intense rivalry and thirst for revenge is born in Viral. Kamina and Viral would continue to clash with Kamina growing stronger and stronger with each encounter. Viral respect his rate of growth and finds Kamina a worthy opponent to seek revenge on. Unknownst to Viral, he kills Kamina in one of the encounters. Still thinking Kamina to be alive, he battles with Simon numerous times, only to be overwhelmed by Simon's abilities. Once he learns of Kamina's death, Viral cannot help but respect his powers as well as fathom the depths of human strength. Over the years Simon and Viral form a rivalry of respect for one anothers abilities. To the point where Viral will not allow others to kill Simon. They then find themselves working together to save their world. Eventually their hate for one another gives way; leaving only respect and a new ally for Dai-Gurren.

Why They Should Win: First off I decided to put Kamina and Simon together because without Kamina, Simon's and Viral's rivalry may have never existed. And without Simon, Viral may have never become the person he did at the end. Like many things, Simon inherited this rivalry from Kamina which is a profound idea I found interesting. Their rivalry is a classic one with with high emotions, intense battles, and personals tragedies with tragedies to the rivalry itself.

While the battles against the Anti-Spirals were epic, I found the rivalry triangle between these three more compeling and moving. The sadness and bitterness felt when Kamina died without Viral noticing and the following discovery of that truth giving birth to a respect and rivalry Viral would have never thought of was griping.

*Edit: Less wall of text.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Voting for

- Vash the Stampede vs Millions Knives
- Sayaka Miki vs. Kyoko Sakura
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Supporting
Kamina/Simon vs Viral, Gurren Lagann
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:

Sayaka Miki vs. Kyoko Sakura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)

Vash vs. Knives (Trigun)
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
Voting For:
Spike Spiegel vs Vicious, Cowboy Bebop
Arsène Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata, Lupin III
Domon Kasshu vs. The Undefeated of the East/Tohofuhai/Master Asia, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Rue / Princess Kraehe v Duck / Princess Tutu, Princess Tutu
Pedro vs. That Man, Excel Saga
Shizuo Heiwajima vs. Izaya Orihara, Durarara!
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam

I don't have the time or the energy to actually do the nominations writeups myself, but I just want to throw some ideas out there for those of you who might have:
Gai Shishioh vs. Pizza/Soldat-J, GaoGaiGar
Guts vs. Griffith, Berserk
Alberto the Impact vs. Taisou the Human Dynamo, Giant Robo
Alucard vs. Alexander Anderson, Hellsing
Justy Ueki Tylor vs. Ru Baraba Dom, Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Hachirota "Hachimaki" Hoshino vs. Hakim Asheed, Planetes
Date Masamune vs. Sanada Yukimura, Sengoku Basara
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Supporting
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01 am Reply with quote
Vote For:
Arsène Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata, Lupin III
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Nominating
Triela and Pinocchio, Gunslinger Girl pic
Type of Rivalry: mortal enemies
What It's About: Triela is a child assassin trained by the Social Welfare Agency. She works under Hilshire, whom she is conditioned to love and obey. Although reluctant to admit it, she wants greatly to prove worthy to Hilshire. Thus, although Hilshire treats her as his partner, she counts her ability to kill for him as her worth. Pinocchio is a child assassin trained by the Pandania terrorist organization. He works under Christiano, whom he loves because he raised him. Christiano's approval is everything to Pinocchio. Thus, Although Christiano treats him as a son as well as an assassin, he counts his ability to kill for him as his worth. Pinocchio and Triela comes face to face when the Hilshire-Triela pair goes to investigate a lead. Pinocchio bests the then apparently invincible cyborg in hand to hand combat, knocking out Triela but sparing her life. Devastated by her loss, Triela trains hard so she could win next time, while Pinocchio's confrontation with Triela jarred him from his comfortably invincible position.
Why They Should Win: These two characters provide a great parallel. They are both accomplished assassins who measure their worth to their caretaker by how efficiently they can kill for them--a caretaker well-deserving of such loyalty for the consideration and love they show to the children. Until their duel, both were undefeated. Their confrontation and epiphanies drive them to improve and provide the suspense and anticipation of much of the series.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sayaka Miki vs. Kyoko Sakura, Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Hmm, it'd be more interesting to discuss QB vs mini Senjougahara. The thing going on between Sayaka and Kyoko is just your good old and generic clash of personalities that didn't even last long enough. I won't place a vote against, but that's definitely a weak pairing in my opinion. Although the popularity of the franchise may or may not get them a couple of rounds.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Hmm, it'd be more interesting to discuss QB vs mini Senjougahara.

That was my thought initially but the problem is the Kyubey doesn't really participate in any rivalry, he just is. Anything you come up with is one-sided.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
Ain't it the same for that pair from Durarara? Izaya was always just toying with Shizuo, which resulted in a pretty one sided adversity. I could probably find better examples, but since I don't plan on making a write up for Madoka Magica. I just thought that for such a popular series we'd be walking out with such a weak pairing.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
Voting Against
Kyoko Mogami vs. Sho Fuwa, Skip Beat
Episode 1: Kyoko finds out Sho just brought her to Tokyo with him as a maid and confronts him. Sho issues a taunting challenge to Kyoko to pass him in showbiz.
Episodes 2-18: Sho is seen from time to time. Sho never directly meets Kyoko, or hear anything about her, or makes any effort to find out anything about her.
Episodes 19-20: Kyoko and Sho finally meet face to face with mutual recognition. Sho doesn't believe Kyoko is here, as he thought she already went hom.
Episodes 21-25: Kyoko goes to another project that has nothing to do with Sho, nor do the two meet.

Not so much a rivalry as much as the more popular boyfriend dumping the girlfriend with a goodbye taunt then promptly forgetting about her, with the ex-girlfriend pursuing an entirely one-sided quest for revenge. Sho's alleged challenge of surpassing him in showbiz serves the same function as Makoto's spoiler[French kissing Kotonoha in front of Sekai] in School Days: It's just a way to say "It's over. Get over it."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 20