• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Milky Holmes Cast to Voice My Little Pony in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Also past generations were mostly harmful to little girls, Generation 3 especially spewed the girly stereotypes out the wazoo. The problem with media aimed at females in general in the U.S. is that its treated little girls like their fragile & stupid. MLP:FIM treats little girls and kids in general with respect, thus treating the audience with respect. Thats why adults like it, because its a cartoon that doesn't speak down to its audience.

Noooo Soundmonkey, don't say that! ;n; MLP is a great cartoon and I'm glad that girls (and boys) love it, but it makes me so sad when fans feel the need to dismiss or put down the girly-shows that came before it in order to legitimize their love for MLP. There have been soooo many girly cartoons that have helped give girls hopes and dreams and teach them how to be cool smart people, just like MLP does today. In the 90s we had Sailor Moon and Daria and Powerpuff Girls and Pepper Ann; little girls in the 00s had Ojamajo Doremi and As Told By Ginger and Tokyo Mew Mew and all sorts of cute, sparkly, inspiring shows and movies to watch. Girly cartoons are the bomb diggity, so please don't say mean things about the entire demographic to make one show look better in comparison, it's really not fair!

You misudnerstand me, I was speaking of past incarnations of MLP, they truly were horrid. Yes there are & have always been GOOD female-oriented entertainment, but like media in general there has also arguably been just as much if not more BAD media. This happens with media aimed at males too, but its just not always as annoying. Out of the past generation of MLP Generation 3 was HORRID! I wouldn't even show that to my worst enemy. Given the 2 before that were only guilty of being 80's cheese akin to G1 Transformers & G.I. Joe so they arn't that bad. But yes G3 was a flat out monstrosity!!!

But yes as you stated there are and have been good female oriented animations over the years, G3 of MLP just wasn't one of them though, if that makes sense.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Anime fandom, post-2010s, is not egalitarian. I doubt it ever was. Maybe in the West, but I feel that the driving market force behind anime in Japan have always been males, and anyway it is very obvious now with what producers choose to make.

@Myaow - if it makes you feel better, I prefer the older My Little Ponies over the newer incarnation.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhh, okay, we're cool then! Sorry for the misunderstanding, buddy!
Flower Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Hell Yeah!

I am a Brony

Fluttershy is my Waifu
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
@Myaow: LOL, don't worry, its S'all Good

@DR: I'm inclined to agree, Although I would personally argue anime has been increasingly less egalitarian since 2005 not just 2010.

Also I will admit, the origional 80's MLP did have better villians at times *I love Discord & Night Mare Moon, but Tyrak is deffinantly one of the best villians in MLP history, if not one of the top 10 cartoon villians of the 80's I mean the guy was gonna use a rainbow of Darkness to turn ponies into evil looking dragons to add to his army, now thats bad a$$!*

But yeah G3 the generation right before this one, it was HORRID! *It also had a pony that had a very creepy sock fetish, you know, FOR KIDS! Anime hyper * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSRp6wlgbEM
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a pony with a sock fetish, I see a cartoon pony singing a kids' song about socks.

Actually I don't remember much of older MLP's plot. I just liked the design of the older ponies better. They were chubbier.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I don't see a pony with a sock fetish, I see a cartoon pony singing a kids' song about socks.

Actually I don't remember much of older MLP's plot. I just liked the design of the older ponies better. They were chubbier.

You liked them chubby?

Anywho yeah, that whole sock thing was mostly a joke, but the real problem with the third generation is that it was just a shameless toy commercial, which you could argue thats always what toyetic animation is, but at least some toyetic cartoons & anime at least try to tell a good story, heck G3 of the franchise was even a huge down-grade from the original 80's Generation as well as the second series Pony Tales. Because at least the original as cheesy as it was like the newer series tried to create a world and mythos around it, G3, all it tried to do was con kids and parents into buying an inferior product.

I think, that in part though may be why G4 is so popular, not just with Bronies, but the intended demographic and older females as well, like its 80's counterpart it at least tries.

And a bit random to mention but another big grab at least for me is the songs & the background music, the shows composer Danial Ingram is a genius!

Seriously some of Friendship Is Magic's songs are almost comparable to those from Disney movies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsxfO7dBlA

Edit: @ Flower_Metal, you have it backwards, your Fluttershy's waif. *Don't make her use "THE STARE" On you. Laughing
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Animals tend to look cuter chubby. Fat cats, fat penguins, etc.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Anime fandom, post-2010s, is not egalitarian. I doubt it ever was. Maybe in the West, but I feel that the driving market force behind anime in Japan have always been males, and anyway it is very obvious now with what producers choose to make.

I was definitely referring to the Western anime fandom. In Japan anime fandom and industry skews male, but at least there is manga for literally everybody!

I don't remember MLP cartoons from the past. I remember the toys, but that's about it. I loved the Care Bears as a kid, though. Wonder how that holds up... (*is afraid to check youtube*)
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Animals tend to look cuter chubby. Fat cats, fat penguins, etc.

OK ..... I'll give you that one, Penquins are pretty cute little cusses

@Agent: True the U.S. Anime fan base is more egalitarian then its Japanese counterpart. Hmm, maybe we should invite some female otaku to move to the U.S. .... Yes, that would be quite nice. Anime catgrin

Also theres actually a NEW Care Bears Cartoon on the same network as MLP, its.... OK, but its CGI so the human kids look pretty creepy Anime hyper.

As for the origional, can't say how it would hold up, as I too have not seen it since I was a kid. I do remember the movies though, the one with that evil talking book with a woman's face freaked me out! Laughing
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question. What does "brony" mean? I've seen that in a lot of the posts here but I have no idea what it means.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I posted that fat small penguin on my Facebook about a month back.

It's honestly a little weird to see this level of obsessiveness about a kiddy cartoon with talking animals in it, haha. The closest I got to that was when I was really into Pinky and the Brain before I got into Sailormoon (which meant I got into it early...maybe 12? 13?). I'd like to think that my thing for The Brain was because he was channeling Orson Welles, though. At least, that's what I tell myself.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Heh, I posted that fat small penguin on my Facebook about a month back.

It's honestly a little weird to see this level of obsessiveness about a kiddy cartoon with talking animals in it, haha. The closest I got to that was when I was really into Pinky and the Brain before I got into Sailormoon (which meant I got into it early...maybe 12? 13?). I'd like to think that my thing for The Brain was because he was channeling Orson Welles, though. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Hey, Pinkie & The Brain was far from Kiddy, *seriously its one of the few cartoons I could get my parents to watch with me back in the day Anime hyper*

And I agree, Brains Voice Actor sounded a lot like Orson Welles. Infact he actually voiced Orson Welles in the animated series "The Critic"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA

As for people obsessing over kiddy cartoons, no different overall then obsessing over Pokemon, Case Closed, One Piece, etc, which are considered kids &/or all ages cartoons in Japan *or In Pokemon's Case World Wide*

But i'm bias as i'm one of those weird people that as they grow older increasingly cares less about categories, ratings, etc. I like to take each work for what it is, anything can be gold or garbage, thats my motto.

And again i'd go back to the fact a lot of 90's kids, such as myself grew up with a lot of cartoons that were similar to either visuals or writing. * Again a lot of MLP's staff are also people that worked on Power Puff Girls &/or Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends* So... yeah its kind of taking a familiar style and franchise and making something new of it.... if that makes any sense.

Edit @Sno Brony is a mixture of the words Bro and Pony, Basically Bro's that like My Little Pony, Bronies! Of course older female fans can use the term as well, but some female fans prefer the term "Pegasister"
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
LOL My Little Pony X Milky Holmes
Tv Tokyo > YTV > The HUB
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
If you want to know why anime fans are sick of MLP, I present soundmonkey44 as exhibit "a". At the time of this post the thread had exactly 100 posts, of those just under TWENTY PERCENT are from soundmonkey44. If you tell me something you love is awesome, fine. If you're my friend and you talk about it often, ok. But if you're someone I don't know and you're CONSTANTLY in my face ranting about the amazingness of something it's only going to tick me off and turn me AGAINST the show that makes you so annoying. (if you think I'm an anime weaboo, fans of: Utena, Trigun and (to an extent) Cowboy Bebop have ALL managed the exact same feat)

You know what's really annoying and stupid? When college kids were tromping around in Akatsuki robes at say school or in the mall and screaming lines from the show. You know what's JUST AS ANNOYING 20-30 somethings (male or female) continuously shoving neon horses in my face. If the show is as good as you say, it can stand on its own and doesn't NEED constant defense (or evangelism). State your point, and then let others decide.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12