• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto.com, Crunchyroll, Hulu Begin Shippūden Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I just want to ask all these excuse-makers what you were watching before there were HD quality fansubs? You watched standard definition, didn't you?

It's not like I'm watching grainy video taken through a handicam when I'm watching crunchyroll vids. I don't blame you for prefering HD video, but there isn't that much of a difference, especially since animation in HD isn't the same as watching live action in HD. How much greater detail will you get in HD?

I do agree that Crunchyroll has to up their game. They need to move to an ad-based model instead of PPV. iTunes basically does PPV, but they are a different service entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
They release anime for free, and all some of you can do is bitch about how its not as good as your illegal fansubs which doesn't give the makers any money at all.

Than you make excuses like how the anime company makes all their money off of ad revenue which isn't true that's why DVDs are so overpriced.

There's a reason that anime companies are failing, and its people who simply don't care about a fellow human being.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:

The day I start getting my anime from sites like Crunchyroll is the day that they start releasing episodes for download via BitTorrent, encoded in H264 at the native airing resolution with AAC or Vorbis audio, with softsub tracks. I'll accept nothing less, when it comes to my anime viewing experience, this is my minimum expectation (higher expectations would include Blu-Ray releases). I won't consider a streaming solution at all.

...dude, are you trying to watch a series, or frame it and hang it on your wall for posterity? You don't need all of that gobbledygook to be able to sit down and enjoy the primary purpose of a series: watching its characters interact and live through a story. It's all extraneous fluff. Potentially aesthetically-pleasing fluff, but fluff nonetheless. Plain ol' fashioned standard definition is more than sufficient to comprehend what's going on in a show and enjoy it; hell, I've made do with sub-SD streaming content many times in the past with nary a complaint. I keep reading complaints from the "Blu-Ray or the highway" crowd, and all I see are a bunch of spoiled little kids coming up with excuse after excuse to avoid going the legal route.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Great point, Charred Knight. Furthermore, the fansubbers, according to their Almighty Fansubber Code should shut down these subs because we have some of these anime available from Japan without their assistance.

Fansubs still have their use, but as more titles are available this quickly, they should stop those subs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
If some of you guys don't want to pay for it then watch the subs on hulu.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
With the new streaming options, we are seeing the clear division now between the freeloaders and those who do want to contribute to the creators for their anime. Anyone who refuses now to use one of the streaming options, whether by subscription or via advertising-supporting shows, is simply wanting something for nothing and will never be satisfied.

Two years ago, no one thought the Japanese would ever change their licensing model. Now the producers are literally bending over backwards, their head on the floor, trying to give the U.S. anime fans what they've been saying they wanted: access to anime on the same terms as the Japanese fans. These new options do exactly that. Here's an idea: If you absolutely must have the perceived quality of some current fansubs, then watch them. But also buy your subscription or stream the episodes with advertising in the background. You have what you want, and you contribute. Frankly, that's what I do if the quality of the stream isn't good enough because I watch my anime on a big plasma TV.

If every fansub-watching fan obtained their anime via legal methods starting today, the effect on the industry would be dramatic. Just look at the recent Kadokawa-YouTube news. In U.S. terms, it's not a lot of money, but it probably pays a few artists' salary at least.

Another thing... if you don't utilize the streaming methods now, then it will be looked upon as a failure by the Japanese and the sites hosting it. CR has improved quality in response to fans, and will continue improving if they make money. Other sites will do the same because of competition. But if no one uses it because the quality doesn't meet their standards now, then why should they keep doing it? Or why improve it, if even doing that doesn't convert people from fansubs?

There's no longer any excuse for anyone to avoid contributing in some monetary fashion for anime that is distributed legally to their location. Period.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Good post, pparker.
Waryas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
As for now, they still didn't release zoku natsume even though it aired a few hours ago in japan.
Fansub still has a long way to go ...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Waryas wrote:
As for now, they still didn't release zoku natsume even though it aired a few hours ago in japan.
Fansub still has a long way to go ...

If they're quick about it, they can grab the raw, encode it, and translate before the day ends.

Quote:
There's no longer any excuse for anyone to avoid contributing in some monetary fashion for anime that is distributed legally to their location. Period.

People still say that the quality is subpar, and scoff the idea of streaming media in general.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

Another thing... if you don't utilize the streaming methods now, then it will be looked upon as a failure by the Japanese and the sites hosting it. CR has improved quality in response to fans, and will continue improving if they make money. Other sites will do the same because of competition. But if no one uses it because the quality doesn't meet their standards now, then why should they keep doing it? Or why improve it, if even doing that doesn't convert people from fansubs?

That''s all their is to it people who just look at what Toei, and TV Tokyo have done and scoff at it, are just freeloaders who will make any excuses so they can download their illegal fansubs.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
pparker wrote:

That''s all their is to it people who just look at what Toei, and TV Tokyo have done and scoff at it, are just freeloaders who will make any excuses so they can download their illegal fansubs.

agree some of you guys whine about fansubs is better and cruncyroll is a ripoff just watch the viz subs on hulu for free. Viz and Tv tokyo are doing this for the fans.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
To all the people complaining that the highest quality video is not free, even though the Japanese get to watch anime for free:

GUESS WHAT! THERE IS NO FREE TV IN JAPAN! The television license costs about $150 per year, so the absolute minimum you'd have to pay to see anime at all in Japan is $150 per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence#Japan

Anime in North America is far cheaper than it is in Japan, in all forms.

Stop complaining that you might have to actually spend money (oh my god, the horror!) for your entertainment.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Their not even bitching about spending money their bitching that the free legal version isn't quite as good as the free illegal version.

I can understand downloading fansubs I did it all the time until recently, but complaining about free streaming anime is just stupid. I think this thread should be closed
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Quote:

People still say that the quality is subpar, and scoff the idea of streaming media in general.

That's no excuse at all, and you know it. We finally have completely legal, completely free means of previewing series before buying them on DVD, and even of watching series that will most likely never wind up on DVD. This is the very situation that fans have been clamoring for for years now...and yet some people are still finding nits to pick about it. These streams are at least in the realm of TV-quality, which is more than what's required to be able to watch them competently. There's no place for the old whining anymore.

(And personally, I will never understand anyone wanting to wait a few hours for a torrent to finish over waiting all of a minute or two to watch a high-quality streaming video. The former is about as utterly inconvenient as viewing gets.)
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
So let me get this straight, there are some people out there who are complaining about there *free legal* anime?

Ahh the good old days of when anime was on VHS tape at $30 for 2 episodes and no1 complained because they were glad it got a realease.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9