• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm actually mildly interested in UN-GO, because I have a bit of a soft spot for detective series. I'll keep an eye out for what the preview guide's prognosis on the show is.

The others I'm continued to be underwhelmed by a lot more of the same shows from the same genres that don't interest me.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
Meanwhile, I have RL friends who are undergoing gender reassignment, and I think such a character backstory (ESPECIALLY since the last line implies that it's mostly a set-up for "lol titless" punchilnes) is insulting and crass.

Pretty much every comedic situation ever put in fiction parallels something that has happened to someone in real life. And for everyone of those events, the unfortunate victim of the real life event probably has a friend who now thinks that type of event should never be humorously fictionalized.

And if you all got your way, we'd have no more comedy.

-t
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Hoo boy, guess there's a lot I'll be checking out this season after all. Really hoping that a lot of these shows get simulcast since I try to watch only on fansub (if any) each season and I'm already watching Penguindrum. So I'm interested in trying out:
Chihayafuru
Guilty Crown
Future Diary
Last Exile: Fam
Sekai-ichi 2
Squid Girl 2 (dang, that one starts Monday I think)
Tamayura
UN-GO

LE:F is the only one that has really grabbed my attention so far (although I'm more excited for UN-GO after the spotlight) which is fine by me, if nothing turns out to be really interesting for me I still have a ton of backlog to watch in the meantime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah.. pretty much. At least one person will be offended by any joke you make, and if writers listened to them, we'd have no more jokes/shows. Crossdressing, homosexuality, pedophilia.. all have shows which play them for jokes as well as treat them as serious issues. If you want a more serious look at transgender issues, go read/watch Wandering Son... this will obvious be more of a jokey look at the issue.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
While I agree mostly with what's been said, there is such a thing as tastelessness, disrespect and jokes made out of cruel ignorance.
rowsdower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
rowsdower wrote:
Meanwhile, I have RL friends who are undergoing gender reassignment, and I think such a character backstory (ESPECIALLY since the last line implies that it's mostly a set-up for "lol titless" punchilnes) is insulting and crass.

Pretty much every comedic situation ever put in fiction parallels something that has happened to someone in real life. And for everyone of those events, the unfortunate victim of the real life event probably has a friend who now thinks that type of event should never be humorously fictionalized.

And if you all got your way, we'd have no more comedy.

-t

I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth or lumping me into some hypothetical strawman Legion of Offended Doom, so please refrain from doing so.

I think it's possible to be "non-PC" (as people call it; I think that term has a whole lot of connotations that people fly off the handle at automatically and is therefore a can of worms I don't want to open) and still be very funny and even socially important. I think satire is absolutely fundamental for the health of any and every society, and that genre rarely pulls its punches against its targets.

To me, this whole thing is a matter of perspective and intent. What are the creators trying to convey with content like this? What is the object of the humor - the "butt of the joke"? What character is saying it and are we supposed to sympathize with their viewpoint or criticize it?

In Horizon's case, the main character is the one making the joke. According to his bio, it sounds like he's at least SUPPOSED to be likable in a Captain Tylor-ish kind of way (and now I feel bad for associating Tylor with this). So, he's not supposed to be an utter tool for everyone to roll their eyes at and immediately dismiss as an insufferable douchebag. In other words, a sympathetic viewpoint.

Who's the butt of the joke? A young person who (depending on how they identify mentally) is either a girl who was forced to give up her physical sex for politics and was left mutilated after a mastectomy, or a boy who will never complete his transformation thanks to complications. Even if the character doesn't identify as male or female, it still sounds like they had very little agency over what happened to their body and how it's stuck now.

tl;dr - I think that's a pretty damned horrific butt of a joke, and the fact that it's apparently delivered by somebody the audience is supposed to sympathize with does not help. I'm not changing my mind. I don't want this show to be censored or banned, but I DO wish that we lived in a world where people didn't consider the paragraph above a hilarious punchline.

And if you (general you) believe I'm thinking about this too hard, it's what I do. I'd rather think too hard about a subject than not at all.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

I tend to mean large amounts of negativity towards a show (something like Kiss x Sis for example). Stuff that I know most people do not like is what I check out.

Earlier the negative reaction of one person was enough to get you to say you now had a reason to want to see it. Which one is it? Most people? One person?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

I tend to mean large amounts of negativity towards a show (something like Kiss x Sis for example). Stuff that I know most people do not like is what I check out.

Earlier the negative reaction of one person was enough to get you to say you now had a reason to want to see it. Which one is it? Most people? One person?

Most, but depending on the show one can be enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I was mildly interested in Horizon, despite the character designs not being my cup of tea, but the line about the main character's treatment of the transsexual/transgender individual has put me off. The only way I see it working is if a) it's not a joke, and b) the person identifies as female and thus appreciates the main character's willingness to treat her as such. However...I'm thinking it will ultimately be a case of "harharhar flat-chested man-woman" or something.

Nothing else looks too interesting to me. I'll see what reviews say.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in watching Chihayafuru. I've gotten out of card-game related anime, but the idea of it being more of a shoujo-themed show sparks my interest. Hopefully it'll be picked up by Crunchyroll or NicoNico for streaming, since I think it might be too farfetched for anyone to want to pick up for a license.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Alright, lets do this thing! First of all, we won't get an objective evaluation of this season until at least next fall and the dust settles, but it doesn't look promising. This season has the lowest potential in a long while, and as such I've been basically ignoring it. But here is my quick run down

C3 -- so far, it looks to be a standard harem/moe romance title. Fear is cute, but that's about all I'm seeing in it so far. If the reviews are promising, I'll pick it up.

Horizon -- Okay, you take a very interest idea, and then you take a huge dump on it using the most odious cliche in all of anime as toilet paper. Seriously, Highschoolers save Japan again? Unless, like the entire preview guide gives this 4 or 5, this is out.

Gundam -- Goddamn Gundam. No

Phi-Brain -- The real puzzle is why this was made in the first place.

Un-go -- Is this another BL story like No.6? Anyway, I'll give it a fair shake

Bakuman 2 -- Didn't see the first, so no.

Battle Spirits: Heroes -- "based on the popular trading card game". Hell No.

Ben-To -- Ramen Fighter Miki was enough food comedy for one lifetime. No.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai! -- You heard it here first. This will be 2011's Toradora. Only not as good. But yards above any other show this season

Chibi Devi! -- What is this I don't even

Chihayafuru -- I like the promo art. I hate the card playing. No.

Cross Fight B-Daman -- Kid's stuff? No.

Fate/Zero -- It will be better than the original. Must watch

Guilty Crown
-- Jingoistic wet dream. People have been bitching that noitaminA sold out to the otaku with by doing a Black Rock Shooter show next season. These people don't realize that noitaminA already sold out to the otaku crowd with this show. This show is pure far-right jingoism, designed to appeal to the crazy ultra-nationalists that inhabit 2ch. Just read the description: “ A group of evil foreigners have invaded and seized control of Japan. Only a pure-blooded son of Japan can repulse this foul tide of internationalism and restore the island nation to it's people. Also, he can pilot a mecha.” If there ever was a show that screamed sonnō jōi, this would be it. For some reason, a number of Westerners seem to be high on this show right now, though. I'm guessing that they are either A) unaware or oblivious to the jingoistic theme, or B) far right wingers themselves. But then again, Code Geass had a very similar jingoistic tones, and people lost their heads over it, so I don't know. Anyway, I'm selling this show now, and not regretting it.

Hunter x Hunter -- Remake of a show I didn't see. No

Kimi to Boku. -- Moeblob for the ladies. No.

Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing- -- I didn't watch the first, but maybe, oh, I don't know

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! -- Nah.

Maken-Ki! -- Kampfer was a romantic comedy with girls fighting with magical powers. What made that show interesting was the gender swaping of Natsuru. With out that, you have a really stupid show that will only play with already wornout anime tropes. Or, in other words, you'll have Maken-Ki!. Drop this now, while you still can.

Mashiro-Iro Symphony -- The promo makes me plaster the walls with obscenities. This is based on a eroge which involves an all-girls school deciding to integrate with a boys school. That one line should tell you all you need to know about this one. But I like being prolix. Here's some predictions of what will show up in the first episode: girls wearing frilly dresses, a male lead devoid of any personality or redeeming traits, panty shots, a girl tripping and exposing her underwear to the male lead, a tsundere, an ojou-sama, a childhood friend, and for bonus points, a girl running to class with a piece of bread in her mouth. This will be generic harem at its most genericness.

Mirai Nikki -- I want this to be good, but I'm getting a really bad feeling about it. I'll give it a fair shake, though.

Persona 4 The Animation
-- Never got into persona. No

Tennis no Ouji-sama: Best Match
-- I HATE TENNIS. Wait, make that male tennis. Women's tennis is awesome. I love it when the pull the ball out of their underpants. It turns me on. I'm not afraid to say it.

Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi 2 -- Too gay. No

Sengoku Paradise Kiwami
-- And I thought the previous title was too gay.

Shakugan no Shana III (Final) -- Mark my words, this will be the best Shana, and it will be the only really good Shana, because the story will be tight and the problems with the plot have been removed. Epic.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume -- They were running out of jokes at the end of the first season. The second will suck.

Tamayura - Hitotose -- It doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't sound good either. Pass

Working'!! -- Didn't watch the first.

Totals: 29 total, 3 maybes, 5 yes. Horrible. Just, horrible. I guess I'll be watching Urusei Yatsura instead.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Guilty Crown -- Jingoistic wet dream. People have been bitching that noitaminA sold out to the otaku with by doing a Black Rock Shooter show next season. These people don't realize that noitaminA already sold out to the otaku crowd with this show.

Actually I think that most fans of noitaminA, like myself, have already realized this, I'm not looking forward to the winter timeslot. I'm trying it because the art looks nice and it's going to be two cour so hopefully the pacing will actually work, although I hadn't seen that summary with the anti-foreigner bit, if it ends up being anything like Rideback then I know it's going to bug me the entire time.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the past she underwent gender reassignment surgery in order to succeed the family name, but certain circumstances forced her to stop the process part way. Her lack of breasts is a result of the surgery, but Tori treats her as a girl with tiny boobs.

I don't usually throw myself into debates but when I read this I took it he was treating her that way as an attempt to not alienate her. I could be wrong and just be thinking to positively about it though.
rowsdower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Quote:
In the past she underwent gender reassignment surgery in order to succeed the family name, but certain circumstances forced her to stop the process part way. Her lack of breasts is a result of the surgery, but Tori treats her as a girl with tiny boobs.

I don't usually throw myself into debates but when I read this I took it he was treating her that way as an attempt to not alienate her. I could be wrong and just be thinking to positively about it though.

And I'd have no problems with that and would even consider it somewhat sweet and thoughtful if the character identifies as female and wasn't completely consenting to the reassignment. If they identify as male, it's still very gross.

But it's the "with tiny boobs" that raises my hackles and alarm. The juxtaposition of such a phrase with the reasons WHY is tasteless. Then there's the added context of the truly ludicrous knockers on every other woman in the concept art.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Guilty Crown[/i] -- Jingoistic wet dream. People have been bitching that noitaminA sold out to the otaku with by doing a Black Rock Shooter show next season. These people don't realize that noitaminA already sold out to the otaku crowd with this show. This show is pure far-right jingoism, designed to appeal to the crazy ultra-nationalists that inhabit 2ch. Just read the description: “ A group of evil foreigners have invaded and seized control of Japan. Only a pure-blooded son of Japan can repulse this foul tide of internationalism and restore the island nation to it's people. Also, he can pilot a mecha.” If there ever was a show that screamed sonnō jōi, this would be it. For some reason, a number of Westerners seem to be high on this show right now, though. I'm guessing that they are either A) unaware or oblivious to the jingoistic theme, or B) far right wingers themselves. But then again, Code Geass had a very similar jingoistic tones, and people lost their heads over it, so I don't know. Anyway, I'm selling this show now, and not regretting it.
Pretty sure no one's up in arms about it because it's just some silly anime that probably won't even be that good. You know, like what happened with Code Geass?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11