• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Unnamed Memory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Very deeply funny that the show is at its most convincing, inasmuch as it can be that in the first place, and fittingly pleasant to look at, inasmuch as it can be described as "pleasant" as opposed to merely functional, in the finale where Oscar kisses his eventual wife as a 13 year old. Truly the least of its issues though. It's... something, actually keeping up with a series that's dire enough to make Silverman say stuff like "shit all over," "least problematic of this episode's issues," and that last sentence used as the bloody byline.

BlackPoint. wrote:
I quite enjoyed this anime overall no matter what who says what and super excited it even got a 2nd season announced :)

I hope you have a good time!

Jabootu wrote:
Rebecca, don't worry! All your qualms will be assuaged and your questions answered in season two. See you back here in January!

Oh mercy.
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought the series had finished last week, hard to believe it raised its head again to actually end on... that, let alone get a continuation [insert railing against injustices of better series going un-sequeled].
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
So the true Unnamed Memory was the show we watched along the way.

But seriously it takes a lot of balls to speedrun through a romance and fantasy story just to then basically erase it from existence at the end. I would even imagine this is part of why they did it but I'm sure ENGI will speedrun through season 2 as well.

I do feel like we get a better sense of Tinasha's character here where we see that she maintains the act of being so composed and competent to hide how lonely she really feels and how much she wishes she was normal, which is probably why she missed all the obvious red flags about Lanak because he was the only person she ever interacted with.

It's kind of sad that the last we see of the original Tinasha is her hopelessly reaching for her husband whom she'll never see again because he erased their entire timeline from existence. Honestly if given a choice I feel like Tinasha would have told him not to change anything because she's happy as she is and she would choose him over anything else. Even as a proper queen of Tuldarr she seems emptier inside.

Seeing Lanak basically kill himself was satisfying at least.

Oscar saved Tinasha from a life of getting stabbed in the stomach but he instead left her without the love of her life.

I could comment on Oscar kissing 13-year old Tinasha but he had already wiped himself from existence by that point so I'll just let it lie. I hope new timeline Oscar doesn't assault women as a "joke."

So I guess the plot of the next season will be Tinasha putting herself to sleep for 400 years like she mentioned was possible so she can see Oscar again only now she'll be a totally different Tinasha and will be the one trying to pursue Oscar instead of the other way around. I can't say the anime did their romance justice from the books but I'm also not sure if they'll convincingly be able to pull a redo romance that's equal to what we were already invested in. But maybe they'll finally explain the Witch of Silence, the orbs, and Oscar's mother. Maybe.
DolFun The Dolphin Vtuber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow that was quite the ending, definitely took me by surprise.
I had a feeling Oscar would go back and save Tinasha to change history.
I enjoyed this enough and I am looking forward to the 2nd season
andramus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Just for the sake of comparison I'd really like Rebecca to read and review the Unnamed Memory novels. I just checked and discovered she already reviewed volume one back in 2020. Still it would be interesting if she revisited it and the other novels this season covered. Not so much for a review but an analysis of where this anime went wrong and how much the original fault lies with the source material.

I did think Rebecca was being a bit uncharitable towards Oscar's motivations in the finale review. I feel like Oscar always wanted to save past Tinasha from Lanak but felt that doing so would be a violation of sorts of the present day Tinasha.

I think in Oscar's mind his wife wouldn't want him to change her past so he was respecting what he thought her wishes would be. Once he realised that this was a whole new timeline and that this past version of Tinasha wasn't HIS Tinasha he no longer felt bound by what he thought his wife would want. He wasn't tampering with his wife's past but giving a different version of her a chance at a better future.
Glordit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:18 am Reply with quote
They rushed through season 1 knowing it was all pointless in the end!
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:06 pm Reply with quote
So I guess he spent 6 months in the past and then only disappeared once he actively changed the past? I'd like to see what happened with the orb. It seemed to activate, but instead of sending him further in the past I guess it just failed or sent him to a different future which is how he learned that the tale he previously mentioned was what would actually happen...
Considering an entire kingdom was saved it's pretty likely that a whole lot of people no longer exist that we previously met. Though it also wouldn't surprise me if this story goes with everyone basically being the same...

Is it still grooming if she's already your wife in the future?... (joking (...mostly))

Before watching this last episode I wasn't planning to watch the second season as this show was such a disappointment, but since it's coming, I might check out the first episode if it's on a day as empty as this season was just to see the aftermath.

@MFrontier Reversing the roles with her pursuing him this time seems like the most likely route
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6