• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Texas Republican Rep Cites Goblin Slayer As "Obscene" Book To Ban From Schools

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vampiyan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:38 pm Reply with quote
ChiilongCha wrote:
I don't know but aren't there 18 year olds in high school? Wouldn't the ban block their access to the book which they are legally able to read?

I believe this is where the "platforms are not obligated to hose your content" rhetoric comes in. Yes, an 18 year old can read an M rated book legally with no problem, but specific libraries, schools, or stores are under any obligation to stock those books. In general I am against censorship, but people tend to be very selective when it comes to opposing it. If the people upset over these books potentially being banned wouldn't go to bat for the titles they have little care for or even outright cheering when they get removed from the market like Kodomo no Jikan back in the early 00s then it's a bit hard to muster sympathy in kind. A harsh lesion that advocating for censorship of things we don't like will always come back to bite us in the end.

Spawn29 wrote:
When I was in High School, my school had comics and manga in the library for students to read or rent. I remember they had Watchmen, Oldboy, Transmetropolitan, etc. Oldboy is more violent than Goblin Slayer because it's grounded to the real world. Watchmen is more graphic as well.

The stories I could tell of what we read in high school in the early 00s.... Or really, what was allowed in high school in general. Movies, books, games, courses, teaching habbits, words, beliefs. Things were a lot different back then and most modern sensitives would gasp at them. Of course, back then, manga was just starting to take off in America and no one ever took comic books seriously to begin with. The idea of using any sort of graphic novel in a school curriculum was unheard of because they weren't considered real literature. Even years later in college my film studies professor would roll his eyes anytime someone brought up anime films and dismissed them outright. He was an award winning author on filmmaking books too. Although in that anime regard I don't think much has changed given how award shows for animation are treated.

tl;dr true, but also a lot of books we read back then are banned today so times have changed and sensibilities have become more sensitive. The same high school I went to has dropped the books I was required to read in school in recent years like Of Mice and Men and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn citing them as "outdated racist trash"
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:01 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:
Asturaetus wrote:
If they already ban books for obscene content then they should rather start with things like the bible. You wouldn't believe how much debauchery and violence is contained in that book. They even have bestiality in there.

They won't because they are hypocrites. They will be like "It's gods words, so it's okay to teach kids on how to be anti-LGBTQ, etc". This is why I'm not a fan of Abrahamic religions.

Please name public school in America that has bibles? I not American but lived in America on and off long enough to know seperate in of church and state from democrats would be total hell if any public school had bibles available to students.

I use to work as a Media center student in HS back in 2011-2012 and I can tell you we had bibles in the school library both Old and New Testament, they were in the reference section but as far as I could tell no one really went to that section unless they were doing something like class project and that was mostly to use the computers.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
These bans are probably going to hurt Yen Press's bottom lines. Schools and libraries make a good portion of many manga and LN sales. A big reason why many LNs often don't get ported over or take forever is due to explicit content.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:30 am Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
These bans are probably going to hurt Yen Press's bottom lines. Schools and libraries make a good portion of many manga and LN sales. A big reason why many LNs often don't get ported over or take forever is due to explicit content.

I was also under the impression schools and libraries bought books hense why the issue of funding always comes up with them, but someone earlier said books to libraries and schools were donations. Seems to be some mixed information here, if not outright misinformation about this issue. If they are indeed bought then I'm not too sure it would affect Yen Press much. These are probably not the titles that schools are buying to stock their libraries with, unless there was a very big oversight on the librarian's judgement to stock adult books.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:24 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

I was also under the impression schools and libraries bought books hense why the issue of funding always comes up with them, but someone earlier said books to libraries and schools were donations.

Libraries do buy new books, and they are usually displayed in a new arrivals section. But every library accepts donations too. There is no clear cut math on this, because every library is different. Different funding levels, could be variable during the year, and how much staff you have to run the library or the lack of staff. If a library is short of staff or volunteers, then you can bet they won't give a damn on what the content of the book is.

If someone drops off 7 grocery bags full of books at your library, are they really going to waste their time scouring the books for 'content'.

Anyway, if your library has a bunch of PC 'minders' with pitchforks and torches, you can do what many manga readers do, visit your local Barnes & Nobles or BOM store, and graze the manga shelves. Just don't bind the spines please.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

I was also under the impression schools and libraries bought books hense why the issue of funding always comes up with them, but someone earlier said books to libraries and schools were donations. Seems to be some mixed information here, if not outright misinformation about this issue. If they are indeed bought then I'm not too sure it would affect Yen Press much. These are probably not the titles that schools are buying to stock their libraries with, unless there was a very big oversight on the librarian's judgement to stock adult books.

People tend to heavily underestimate how important school and public libraries are when it comes to manga and light novel interest. Naruto and Bleach got big because a lot of kids in high school, including myself, would borrow or read the manga volumes during lunch, or reading time. Now imagine, if they just took that all away. You will lose a significant portion of the younger audience interest. Parents often refuse to give kids streaming services nor will they buy them manga. Even if Yen Press can shove off the lost sales from schools and libraries, it will be a chain effect where they lose audiences who could have easily gotten into them in the first place. The chain effect of lost goblin slayer sales will be a reduced chance of a season 3.
https://animenextseason.com/anime-continue/goblin-slayer-season-2/
lumenotaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:53 am Reply with quote
love the series but warnings and age restriction is appropriate. If anime had been more popular when I was a kid these people's heads would have exploded the OAVs of 80s/90s were nuts
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:08 pm Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:

Umm, if school libraries (or libraries focused for minors) make up a meaningful portion of Yen Press's Goblin Slayer distribution, then that's basically proving the politician's point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6