• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

That isn't quite what I meant. Sony decided to put Funi in charge when they put their SoA (Funi) and Aniplex (Madman and Wakanim) businesses under one umbrella. It was a shitstorm when they folded AnimeLab (Madman's streaming) into Funi's streaming last year, and I ended up not renewing my sub. If control has been taken away from Dallas, whether given to CR or a higher body, I may consider subbing to CR again after also dropping that when Sony purchased it. My worst fear was them folding CR into Funi like they did AL

Colin Decker, who led Funimation Global Group since the JV formation, continues to lead Crunchyroll LLC. His LinkedIn profile indicates his position is at Culver City, California, where its JV co-parent Sony Pictures Entertainment is based on.

Dallas, TX was left off from the location of today’s press release, which only listed Culver City, CA. The press release announcing the completion of the acquisition listed both Culver City and Dallas.

Crunchyroll’s Job website lists Culver City ahead of San Francisco and Dallas in terms of its US offices, with US position listings largely in Culver City and San Francisco, with Dallas/Coppell largely having production jobs. Therefore, it’s likely management of Crunchyroll LLC is largely at Culver City and San Francisco.

The LA Times did have a quote from Decker about the split in content before today’s move.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2022-03-01/sony-bets-on-crunchyroll-brand-as-global-anime-audience-grows

Quote:
The problem was that Sony then had two subscription streamers focused on the market for Japanese animation. Fans had to subscribe to both Crunchyroll and Funimation to get everything they wanted, in addition to Netflix and other services, said Colin Decker, who runs Sony’s anime businesses.

“A big chunk of your content was divided,” said Decker, chief executive of Crunchyroll. “It was a pretty bad experience, and that’s been a frustration that the company has attempted to fix.”

Sony had always intended to unify the services into one offering. Now Sony is making good on that goal to simplify things for consumers by adding more than 1,600 hours and 50 titles to Crunchyroll in hopes of making the app more attractive.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Does this mean CR are calling the shots now? If they are I may consider resubscribing, but if Dallas is still in charge I'm not touching it whatsoever. Dallas pissing over us Aussie fans still has a sour taste in my mouth...

Funimation and Crunchyroll are now OWNED by SONY.... SO yeah it will be impossible to say that Dallas is going to call the shots when Sony now owns Both companies... Regardless There will still be license restrictions when it comes to what country gets what.

BlackPoint. wrote:
Well to be more exact Sony is calling the shots and Sony simply decided that CR has a stronger brand name then funi i would presume else it would have been the other way around.

That isn't quite what I meant. Sony decided to put Funi in charge when they put their SoA (Funi) and Aniplex (Madman and Wakanim) businesses under one umbrella. It was a shitstorm when they folded AnimeLab (Madman's streaming) into Funi's streaming last year, and I ended up not renewing my sub. If control has been taken away from Dallas, whether given to CR or a higher body, I may consider subbing to CR again after also dropping that when Sony purchased it. My worst fear was them folding CR into Funi like they did AL

SO How will one be able to tell if it is controlled by Dallas or not?
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read 6 pages of replies, so I don't know if anybody said this but, haven't we been through this once before? Is this acquisition going to stick this time?

I'm all for everything in one place. The Funi player got changed about a month ago and it's still rotten bananas. I have to unmute videos or they'll suddenly stop playing like I'm streaming over a dial-up. And if it's a Chinese title (I'm looking at you Heaven Official's Blessing; thank you Netflix for taking it over), good luck with that. Either the font is tiny or I have manually turn on the subs.

My subscription is up in April, so I prolly won't cancel it and let it run out. I'm still watching stuff on there. I do worry about CR raising their prices again.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
CR is definitely better than Funi at some aspects, such as subtitle typesetting/positioning. Funimation did tend to translate songs fairly often, like midway through a season's simulcast, whereas CR rarely bothers. Let's hope we get something closer to "best of both worlds" than "worst of both worlds." Though I'm sure the anti-industry crowd and multiple-subscription whiners will find new ways to move the goalposts after this development, as they will also most likely transfer their culture-war grievances with Funimation to the New Crunchyroll. I just hope this doesn't mean that The Company Formerly Known as Funimation isn't giving up on the home-video side of the operation. Though with the Japanese side increasingly questioning* the value of producing Blu-Ray releases at all, maybe that's just where the market is going -- put out shows on TV and streaming, never update anything to decensor / fix animation issues, and hope that the streams/broadcasts generate enough additional sales for the manga/LN source material.

*Link is to Talkback thread; somehow the original article link here gets filtered as a bootleg seller site????

Farhanawesome wrote:
So, what does this mean for Funimation and Crunchyroll's future simuldubs and its staff ? Funimation already had plan to license Love After World Domination and FUUTO P.I in spring and summer. also will CR undubbed anime will have a chance of getting an english dub ?
I wouldn't count on older titles getting dubbed; Funi/CR/Sony know that the action and attention of the viewerbase lies with new/airing shows, so it doesn't make much sense to go back and dub older content. Maybe there's more chance of getting dubs for "catalogue" titles if Sony/CR decide to do home video releases, but of course there's no guarantee those will continue, either.

AstroSeedP wrote:
I hope this doesn't mean that new shows will now be stuck streaming in their simulcast versions forever. Updating to Blu-ray materials was something I did like on Funimation.
That was my first question as well; streaming of uncensored versions of ecchi and violent (though tbh, mostly ecchi) was one of the main reasons I have a Funimation subscription, along with the exclusive titles of course. Though since my yearly sub doesn't renew until the end of June, I'll keep it around until then.

I imagine we might see some form of "audio choice apartheid," where Funimation adds their home-video versions of dubbed anime to CR, but the subtitled versions remain as the old censored/broadcast versions that CR originally streamed. After all, similar things have happened with Funi and HiDive in the past; I'm currently watching Sword Oratoria (the DanMachi sidestory) on the latter, and while I could watch the home-video version in English, Japanese audio is only available with the TV version.

MagicPolly wrote:
GNPixie wrote:
Wonder if the JP studios are okay with the consoladition of Western distributors. If I had to guess, not everybody would be a fan.

I'm not a Japanese studio, but I have to imagine they don't particularly care as long as they get their licensing money.

The problem is that with fewer competitors in the licensing arena, there's less potential for bidding wars for exclusive rights. Japanese companies will still get licensing money, but there's less potential for growth as Neo!CR inches closer not just to being a monopoly (sole seller of anime streaming), but also a monopsony (sole buyer of streaming rights). There was already concern about this back in 2018 during Funi and CR's original partnership.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that the merge will allow cr to actually put forth more effort into the beta side of things, like the anime schedule of when new epsiodes come out that was in the old site design and also the ability to change your username. We have UUID now crunchyroll, time to implement it so that all who had their 12 or so year old forum name can finally change it without having to delete the account and start over.

The upside to this is less subscription streaming services to sub to decreasing the fragmentation of the total streaming services out there, more stuff to better safeguard the site, etc
Though the downside to this is now like ~90% of all streaming anime is now on one site that can go down if, lets say a ddos attack or if something goes awry well poof there goes the anime for a good while.

With the funimerge what'll happen with the vrv service? Will it just be on cr?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:31 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
Also, will the option of both broadcast and home video versions remain? For series that were simulcast, a little after the home video release hit, HIDIVE and FUNimation would add the home video version as an option. Crunchyroll meanwhile typically doesn't offer home video versions of shows it simulcast. For example, The Seven Mortal Sins, if you want to see that uncensored, you gotta buy the Blu-ray or watch through FUNimation's streams.

Yeah, this is really my one big concern about the move. Not only updating to the uncut/home video version, but also access to the proper English cast and staff credits for dubs with a subscription. Crunchyroll in general is very disappointing on that front, even if I prefer them in many other regards. In any case, I sent a request to FUNi support earlier today on the very issue to see if I could get answer from them.

Nice.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:37 pm Reply with quote
And it's bullshit like this that makes me hate crapamation and sony even more.....!!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Still, somehow this gives off more of a 'bummer' feel than when Crunchy/Funi was under VRV. Funiroll was clearly the name they should have used.

Nah, Crunchimation or CrunchyFun woulda been better.
Bvick00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 pm Reply with quote
So Funimation is going to fade out, huh? I didn't expect that, but it makes sense for Sony considering Crunchyroll's global reach compared to Funimation. I have mixed feelings in regards to this - I used to enjoy Funimation Dubs (before they started adding nonsensical political stuff and memes that won't stay relevant in a few years) and I missed that old "You Should Be Watching" intro (the new intro sucks!).

I have seen the Crunchyroll app since the news went live hours ago and yep ; their has definitely been new shows that have been added , but they are premium only and some of them only have the dubs (EN,ES and PT dubs). Once the whole Funimation catalog has been added, I will check to see if it's worth subscribing to or not, since Crunchyroll India has had poultry few shows compared to other regions.
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I didn't read 6 pages of replies, so I don't know if anybody said this but, haven't we been through this once before? Is this acquisition going to stick this time?

It’s been official since last August. Unlike the previous licensing partnership between Crunchyroll and Funimation, both brands and companies are now under Sony, and Funimation Global Group has been renamed as Crunchyroll LLC as of today. Consolidating the Funimation, Wakanim, and VRV services under Crunchyroll allows Sony to focus on licensing and distributing anime across more markets around the world.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
my funimation subscription just renewed today. Guess i am going to have to email funimation if a cancellation and refund is possible

I would not worry about it.. Its still way to early so eventually they might cancel and refund those with yearly membership./

Hopefully. On the Funimation Reddit and discord, there are lot of people trying to get refunds for their funimation subscription.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Wonder if the JP studios are okay with the consoladition of Western distributors. If I had to guess, not everybody would be a fan.

Considering the anime crash of 2008 and how smaller licensors like went under, it is probably easier for JP studios to just focus on anime production rather than worry about the distribution side of things. Reality is an anime monopoly had began really far back then.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:30 pm Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
GNPixie wrote:

Considering the anime crash of 2008 and how smaller licensors like went under, it is probably easier for JP studios to just focus on anime production rather than worry about the distribution side of things. Reality is an anime monopoly had began really far back then.

Heck, in the 60+ years that anime has in the U.S., I would be surprised if there ever was a Top 10 of anime licensors at any time. That is, there were 10 anime licensors that formed the majority of the domestic market share of anime licensing.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
Sigh...they really need to fix the Crunchyroll app on Apple TV. It logs you out of the service like once a week, so you have to constantly re-log in. I also just renewed my Funimation subscription like a week ago for a year...

Edit: Just noticed that my Funimation subscription actually renews on March 5th, so I just barely made it without the renewal! That like perfect timing. My only issue now is that I had the preferred pricing model on Funimation, which was only $60 a year. I assume that's just gone now with the move to Crunchyroll...

Okay, so I’m not the only onenwith that problem! Lol. My Apple TV constantly logs me out.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Figured this was going to happen. Wonder how this will affect physical releases?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13