• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:26 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
TexZero wrote:
No, i believe the problem here is your own standards being way above where they should be for a show of this nature.

Having low standards doesn't make a C-grade show into an A, it just means you'll watch C-grade shows. And there's nothing wrong with that! It's just, some of us don't for whatever reason [no time? no money? alternatives? nothing wrong with that, but no merit either] and for the ratings to be useful they need to draw distinctions not just whether it's good enough for you to watch but whether it's good enough for it to be worth other people's time, given their own preferences and availability.

So if we collapse everything "good enough for you to watch" to an indistinguished A, then... the ratings don't work for me any more, do they? because my standards are higher than yours. "Good enough for you" doesn't tell me whether it's good enough for me. We need to draw finer distinctions between good-enough-for-you shows, so that the ratings work for me as well as you. which... no matter how you jiggle it, it'll look the same as the "this is a C show" you're complaining about. No?

Reviews need to say things about shows that people will find bad. Even if they aren't things you find bad, because you're not the only person who the reviews are written for.

I've never said the C- show becomes an A show.
What i'm saying is don't go into the very clearly labeled C- show expecting anything other than C-.

This is where the review fails as it constantly tries to take the C- and wish it into being the perfect A show it never was and never will be.

I don't mind that critically speaking this anime's humor is dated back in the '90s. The reviwer however takes care to note in pretty much every one of the reviews "another boob joke" or "another accidently grope" trope as if that wasn't going to be bog standard. As if asking for this to be a piece that somehow adheres to their own moral standards of decency. It's the old adage of asking a Tiger to change their stripes. At some point you have to feel that as a reviewer you've ceased being critical and started beating a dead horse for the sake of scoring some internet cred.

There are other elements one could be critical of like how the comedic elements actually land timing wise. How the show uses or doesn't use it's set pieces for the sitcom nature it has. Yet that is few and far between and instead we're left with potshots at the low brow humor and low brow sketches being too trite and trope laden.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:06 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Oh no this show had a boob grab in a beach episode. What is the world of anime coming to.

ANN has historically not been a fan of fan service, especially ones that deal in the popular tropes they find problematic that the wider anime fanbase and Japan love. Uzaki-chan pretty tame compared to what usually riles up ANN and Twitter so I'm a bit surprised it's cause as much outrage as it has. I've been enjoy the show myself, it's cute and funny. But it's obviously not something any of the reviewers here would probably like outside of maybe Theron.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:28 am Reply with quote
'Uzaki-chan' is sounding like "Welcome to the N.H.K." without anything good from it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Posts deleted. Don't be personal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What am I supposed to say about Uzaki getting a part time job at the café, or everyone dunking on Shinichi for being scared of stuff, other than that those scenes sure did happen?

You know... after reading this review, I have a sneaking suspicion that the reviewer doesn't even understand what a slice-of-life show is or how you're even supposed to review one. No horror movie is going to get a good grade if you judge it based on how funny it is.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Quote:
What am I supposed to say about Uzaki getting a part time job at the café, or everyone dunking on Shinichi for being scared of stuff, other than that those scenes sure did happen?

You know... after reading this review, I have a sneaking suspicion that the reviewer doesn't even understand what a slice-of-life show is or how you're even supposed to review one. No horror movie is going to get a good grade if you judge it based on how funny it is.

The alternative is that the reviewer might have negative opinions about those scenes and commenters will complain about that too.

I personally think that those scenes added nothing interesting to the show so I didn't bother to comment on them.

Uzaki working at the cafe seems like such a disaster waiting to happen. Ami and her father have seen Uzaki be nothing but crass and clumsy, and now they want to pay Uzaki to interact with customers at their business? I don't think any sane person would want to risk their business just for a little social excitement from two people who bicker at each other all day. If the interaction is written otherwise, it will not feel earned.
J0HN_L0CKE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This reviewer is a joke. Different opinions are fine, but there is no point in reviewing each episode when they clearly don't like the show. This is a slice of life anime- you've seen what the show is. Putting up review each week to say the same shit is pointless.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
J0HN_L0CKE wrote:
This reviewer is a joke. Different opinions are fine, but there is no point in reviewing each episode when they clearly don't like the show. This is a slice of life anime- you've seen what the show is. Putting up review each week to say the same shit is pointless.

I do somewhat understand the frustration of seeing a negative review each week of something you like, but imagine being the reviewer who actually has to write it. There's only so many different ways you can write several hundred words each week that ultimately amount to "This show is boring and unfunny" and yet he has to force himself to do it anyway because he took the responsibility of doing so. And he can't just drop the show on someone else because that completely throws off that person's schedule.

So while I get why you're annoyed, he has more reason to be. Just understand that.
J0HN_L0CKE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
J0HN_L0CKE wrote:

I do somewhat understand the frustration of seeing a negative review each week of something you like, but imagine being the reviewer who actually has to write it. There's only so many different ways you can write several hundred words each week that ultimately amount to "This show is boring and unfunny" and yet he has to force himself to do it anyway because he took the responsibility of doing so. And he can't just drop the show on someone else because that completely throws off that person's schedule.

So while I get why you're annoyed, he has more reason to be. Just understand that.

Fair enough, it's a failure of the site more than it is of the reviewer.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
OK folks, lets take a breath, step back, and ponder some truths:

1) the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference
2) ANN makes most of its money from adds, as long as you click, they are happy
3) the reviewer hates this show and is troll reviewing (two paragraphs on an old dumb boob joke is trolling - and running up the word count for fun and profit)
4) it is his right to do so and as long as ANN lets him there is no stopping him

So, stop reading the review and specially, stop posting.

When the add revenue stops flowing ANN will stop allowing troll reviews (which they have to pay for) and either not cover a series or find a reviewer to cover it that does not post a troll review every time (nothing wrong with hating a show or showing its flaws, but these reviews are getting annoyingly spiteful - with a side benefit of getting all the fanboys to hate post).
Blarmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Uzaki working at the cafe seems like such a disaster waiting to happen. Ami and her father have seen Uzaki be nothing but crass and clumsy, and now they want to pay Uzaki to interact with customers at their business? I don't think any sane person would want to risk their business just for a little social excitement from two people who bicker at each other all day. If the interaction is written otherwise, it will not feel earned.

No sane person would. However we're not dealing with sane people here. Heck we're not even dealing with people really, in the sense of a character meant to behave like any kind of... actual human.

We're dealing with cartoon characters in say The Simpsons sense of the word, or if that's too generous at least in the sense of a Family Guy cutaway gag. Things that would run the range from just strange behavior, to outright reprehensible criminal acts just wind up part of the cartoon logic.

The show's universe and the way people interact in it isn't exactly intended to adhere to what is reasonable, realistic or even always coherent outside the context of a single scene.

...as to the quality of this particular cartoon. I dunno strikes me as the anime equivalent of Taco Bell. I think there is a lot of very fair criticism one can level at it, and it certainly lacks any nutritional value. However it's good for filling a certain void at 2am.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the intense hatred the reviewer seems to have for this kind of series, I've really been enjoying it - it's a cute slice-of-life following two people whose lives are slowly intertwining as they move ever closer from acquaintanceship to friendship to love. It's relaxing and heartwarming.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's why I can get behind some clichés – like Uzaki and Shinichi sharing an awkwardly intimate night together after getting wasted – over others, like that boob-grabbing nonsense from last week. The more we can get to see Uzaki and Shinichi as adults with lives and responsibilities outside of the same cliché routines we've endured over hundreds of past series, the better Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! will be in the long run.

While I can certainly agree that thus far this was certainly the best episode so far of the series, I disagree with the assessment that it comes down to treating them like adults. Outside of the alcohol bit, there is nothing that defines them as being adults exclusively. Everything they do and go through is not contingent on being adults. Even the fact that they are college students amounts to nothing, as virtually everything that involves that setting is possible in a high school setting. While I appreciate your hope that they will be treated like adults, the series has shown no interest in them being adults beyond the pub scene, and I think that was only to show Uzaki drunk for laughs.

For me, what made this episode work really well was that everything felt natural. Uzaki was neither forced to be annoying, nor was she forced to be a boob joke. And Shinichi was neither forced to be a loner who would rather play video games nor forced to be annoyed with Uzaki. The cat cafe part allowed Shinichi to be dumb, but endearingly so with a reason that made sense for him. Uzaki was allowed to tease Shinichi because he obliviously summoned her with a very misleading text and fell numb from the cats. They even get kicked out for their actions! Then the pub scene plays well as one friend introducing the other to their first legal alcohol experience and the subsequent consequences of it. It plays naturally, with Uzaki only getting annoying when she is drunk, and Shinichi trying to teach her about drinking in a way that comes with care rather than annoyance.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting the vibe that the reviewer really doesn't like this show. But honestly looking at the writers on this site that isn't really a surprise. I do appreciate the effort though.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
What's this? An anime girl that doesn't get piss-drunk after smelling the first drop of alcohol? That's illegal!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8