• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Young Again in Another World Anime Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Otaku Sensei wrote:

Every country does this, and that's also why the terms "First-world" and "Second-world" exist.

First/Second/Third world are old Cold War terminology that referred to whether a nation was in the Western bloc or the Eastern, or neither, which has nothing to do with nationalism. It's fallen out of favor with the end of the Cold War, and most economists use developed/partially developed/developing instead now.

Regardless, most people from first-world countries consider themselves superior to third-world countries like African countries.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
First the whole Net-sume incident with anime director being anti-Semitic & his tweets, and now this, can't say I am surprised but a little shocked. Japan has always had mixed polarisation of the atrocities of World War 2. Its not that uncommon for both sides of the spectrum especially since some would rather hide the fact & sweep it under the rug.
Its not like with Germany how they made up & apologized for the actions of the Holocaust.
Its more along the lines with Turkey how they never compensate the Armenians for the killings during World War I (and refuse to recognize the word "genocide").

One thing for sure the anime director for Net-sume & this LN author guy may as well enjoy each others company as they are both out of the business.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
This is NOT racism, this is about nationalism quite different.

Racism and nationalism aren't exactly the same thing, but neither are they unrelated. A Venn diagram of "people who are racist" and "people who are nationalists" will only have a thin sliver of racists who aren't nationalists and a thinner sliver of nationalists who aren't racist.

The thing about bigotry is that it's a mistake [definitionally: irrational prejudice], and the thing about mistakes is that you don't recognise you're making them, or that you have made them. Or you wouldn't have made them in the first place.

It's like debugging: you look at the code you wrote and what you see doing is what you thought it'd do when you wrote it. Stepping beyond that, seeing what you actually wrote, is hard. The brain you use to create with is the same as the brain you use to self-assess: if you failed the first time you'll fail the check and you won't know why.

Which can be frustrating. obviously.

[the solution? if you're accused of racism [or any other sort of "you did wrong" thing, really] put it aside. Note the critique, avoid making statements about the subject matter as far as possible in the immediate future -- cautionary principle -- and think about the critiques later. Days or weeks or hours, depending. When the... initial impetus that lead you to write what you wrote has dissipated and you can reexamine what you did and whether it was really a good idea.]
#TheGreatestP4P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Why are the chinese getting mad along with some Japanses people when this story is
1. Fictional
2. The chinese do the same
3. who actually cares
God and Korea getting triggered too from FGO. I haven't seen this amount of Asian butthurt since saying kpop is shit.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Otaku Sensei wrote:

Every country does this, and that's also why the terms "First-world" and "Second-world" exist.

First/Second/Third world are old Cold War terminology that referred to whether a nation was in the Western bloc or the Eastern, or neither, which has nothing to do with nationalism. It's fallen out of favor with the end of the Cold War, and most economists use developed/partially developed/developing instead now.

Regardless, most people from first-world countries consider themselves superior to third-world countries like African countries.

Fair, I won't disagree with that; developing/partially developed/developed pretty much serves the same purpose wrt feeling superior.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:40 am Reply with quote
Locking thread so I cab clean up.

Apologies for the heavihandedness. I've deleted the egregious posts along with all the replies.

The following people are not to post any further in this thread:
CurseTheSky
Rednimue
WANNFH

Further disruptive posting will see you moderated.

Unlocked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Coco-girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of that Roseanne Fiasco... Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote

stepoutsidethebox June 8 08:11 am JST

Half my students don't even know that Japan was once a colonial power at one point. The setting of this manga would have baffled them. (What do they teach these kids in school?!?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6