• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Horrible Girlfriends [2016-06-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BakuformerAnime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
WOW, You know Wander just ended yesterday, right? Plus, NO ARTHUR?! SERIOUSLY?! I guess Anime News Network hates PBS. Plus, WHAT ABOUT TRANSFORMERS RID (2015)?! COME ON, ANN!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Heishi wrote:

I vote Naru Narugesawa...

I agree 110%. I can't stand the misandric domestic abuse shlock that is Love Hina. Poor Keitaro should've called the cops on them a LONG time ago.

Well, the rule of thumb is: if you're punching way above your league, ya roll with the punches.
And that goes for both boys and girls. Laughing
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Heishi wrote:
I vote Naru Narugesawa...

I agree 110%. I can't stand the misandric domestic abuse shlock that is Love Hina. Poor Keitaro should've called the cops on them a LONG time ago.

Also, a LOT of those cartoons in the poll are no longer running, and RWBY was listed twice.

It's a comedy, with slapstick. There is no such thing as misandric, when it comes to men.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I can see why you would say that, but I have always given Yuki a bye on that. He was the only one who had no choice in joining that murder game. What happens to a normal person, who finds themselves living in a world of psychotic killers who are actually out to kill you. Even Yuki's friends had dirty and bloody hands. spoiler[I was actually happy when Yuno was using Minene's bombs to blow up the students at their school. Really, about the only decent person might have been Yuki's mom, but she didn't last long. ] When thinking about Yuki, I always wonder how I would have behaved in such a situation, it make you think.

I don't fault Yuki for finally growing a pair. I fault him for being wishy washy and even when he grows a pair it's short lived. Through most of the show even when he talks about playing the game and knowing why he has to and what he wants he doesn't follow through well. He talks a good game but then chokes quite often when the pressure is on and he has to follow through. I also feel he allows almost everyone there to some degree to manipulate him during the course of the show. I don't fault him for eventually being willing to kill and manipulate people himself. I fault him for not doing it sooner when he spent most of the series basically admitting he needed to but never doing it. And as I said the whole romance goes far beyond Stockholm syndrome with that ending. I thought the Claymore, Venus Versus Virus, and Shikabane Hime had bad endings but this one beats them all combined IMO.

I agree it would be interesting to ponder how a person would behave being thrust into a situation like Yuki's. I honestly think I would probably behave more like Yuno myself. Whether it be in this situation or say one like BTOOOM if I knew "only 1 can survive" basically then I would do anything and everything to ensure it was me. I may feel bad doing what I had to do in order to survive but I'd still do it with no hesitation. Which is part of why despite her clear signs of being mentally unstable and generally batshit crazy I could not find myself disliking Yuno for what she is. I think even without the game going on she's a horrible person (though given her childhood it's easy to see why) but I can respect her as a character because at least she is honest about her intent from day 1. She may be a backstabber, manipulator, and a horrible person but you know that from the start almost. She makes no qualms about it and doing what she has to do. There is literally nothing she does or tries to do to win that surprises me in terms of not expecting it from her.

Ultimately what really did the series in for me spoiler[was when the time travel shit started. The series was struggling at that point already for me and when it did that it took what little credibility it had left and threw it out the window for me.]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who hasn't dated before,I don't think I'd want to date any of those girls. Like with the monster girls,I might not survive it. As for the girl in "School Days,"I agree that Makoto Ito,the guy in this anime,was a massive jerk for what he did. But,being an immoral creep doesn't give her the right to do what she did. Granted,she was pushed to it but still,two wrongs don't make a right. I couldn't imagine dating her. I might end up not returning home at all.
As for the survey with the American cartoons,thanks a lot,Lynzee. Smile As someone who likes both anime and American cartoons,I'm very appreciative. A lot of them aren't around now but still it's great to see them anyway.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply, but I came to disagree with Kaede's analysis (from Suffle).

You can see her as a total nutcase by the way she cooks empty dinners, stares vacantly, etc. But you can also see her as a troubled angsty teenager like ALL of us have been at some point. At the end of the day, the worst action she ever committed was to shove a guest in her doorway. Now don't dare telling me that you never had a rage outburst in your teens and shoved someone against a wall, because I will find extremely difficult to believe anything else you say.

Also, the "stands creepily under bridges during rainstorms" item is absolutey false. The reason why she stands under the bridge is [img=http://i.imgur.com/HnUAo6h.png]to have a conversation with Asa[/img], not because she a "psycho". Get your facts straight Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Mion, Kotonoha and Yuna are good entries. But IMHO Kaede does not deserve to appear in this list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6