• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tracking Board: Lionsgate is Working on Naruto Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This can only end badly....

And I want a front row seat and a bowl full of popcorn when it does. Razz Laughing

Hopefully this will come at least close to the majesty that was the Dragon Ball movie.

i'm afraid not. it will be worse than the atrocity that is DB Evolution.

the only anime based series that became a hollywood live action movie which didn't suck was the Kite movie,and it was very low budgeted and wasnt too good. but it was decent weekend movie and its a hell of a lot better than the DB movie.

If I was the committee from Lions Gate, i would do like what the people did when they try to do a live action movie adaptation of cowboy bepop and that is QUIT WHILE YOUR AHEAD & AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID THIS MESS OF A PROJECT AT ALL COSTS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
diefty wrote:
Oh, I absolutely agree, Guardians worked because Marvel already knew what they were doing and because they have a trusted track record. When your previous examples of live action movies include jewels such as DB evolution the fans can't have much hope unlike with Guardians were fans came from stuff like Avengers.
But just because American Superhero movies are on a roll right now there is no better time to keep trying lesser known names and leave the Japanese titles alone unless or untill they can do them justice (which they can't right now) or at least try with easier to adapt titles that fit more with what Hollywood knows best instead of going for the most popular titles and just screw them up.

Do you mean that the proper game plan for getting lesser known anime and manga known is to have a string of box office and cultural hits to get the public more interested?

I personally think that for the easier-to-adapt stuff, they're going to have to market them without the association with manga or anime. I'm just judging on my own personal experiences, but manga and anime have a strong association with being strictly children's entertainment and to sell toys. If they adapt something like Monster (which has become a proposed HBO series from Guillermo del Toro, so I'm curious as to how that'll turn out), which is definitely not for kids and would be terrible at selling toys, it could run the risk of getting caught between audiences like with Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. If this Monster adaptation was marketed as an original story though, it could get more acceptable from people coming in to watch who wouldn't associate it with kids' stuff.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
You mean as opposed to that trainwreck that was The Last?

Naruto is now a shoujo manga Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6