• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Smack to the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I like the bent that anyone trying to talk or bring up these issues in video games is doing it for attention or something. The way you belittle it and make mockery of it is pretty sad.

Yes, it's such a bad thing people are talking about how this growing medium should go. I guess they are only interested in those big gaming website bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I like the bent that anyone trying to talk or bring up these issues in video games is doing it for attention or something. The way you belittle it and make mockery of it is pretty sad.

Yes, it's such a bad thing people are talking about how this growing medium should go. I guess they are only interested in those big gaming website bucks.

There are numerous people who can talk about sexism in a civil manner that makes for a great discussion and can change your view on sexism.

The thing is how you go about doing it, when you simply insult someone like what Jason Schreier did to George Kamitani then I have serious doubts that you actually want to bring up an issue. A guy made a video about Killer is Deads aying that Suda51 could go F' himself, Neogaf made a topic about it that brought in 3 members of XSeed who were the western publisher of the game to talk about the game, and then the guy who made the video shows up to say that he doesn't want to talk about it. The point is that he never wanted to have an actual discussion what he wanted to have was a video were he told Suda51 to go F' himself.

You can make a point about sexism in video games without insulting people. When a writer insults someone then the discussion isnt about sexism the discussion is about the article/video.

You can have a discussion about sexism when you just watched a Feminist Frequency episode (I do it after every video) you can't have a discussion about sexism when Penny Arcade Reports does a review about the latest King of Fighter that accuses SNK of casual sexism because Mai still exists (it also accuses SNK of casual racism because of things like the India stage having Elephants in it).
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

That was a) back when there wasn't a big, huge hub for people to voice their opinions (i.e., the 'net), b) the LGBT community was practically invisible then, compared to now.

It was a dumb move, yeah, but the community then versus now is practically a completely different world.

Tell that to Harvey Milk in the '70s. The LGBT community was never "invisible" just because there wasn't the internet.

Also, the Sailor Moon fandom (maybe "hardcore" fandom?) was pissed off.

My mistake:( . I never knew about the Sailor Moon "cousins" kid until I had grown up, so what did I know?

Don't me like me, kids. Read books.

jave wrote:
Well that might explain back then but it doesn't explain why people don't do it now everytime a new anime gets dubbed and censored for TV.

Is it still 2001? Are we still mad about One Piece? Are we still operating under the assumption that dubs "ruin" a work? Have we learned nothing of broadcast standards for channels? Man, what the heck have I been doing for the past ten years?!

EDIT: To clarify... seriously, is the whole "censored for TV" thing still a concern for people? So little anime is on TV, I figured the point was moot. What's more, we all know what you can't get away with on, and that some channels have differing standards for that. It's arbitrary and silly, but come on, folks, it comes with the territory. It's not like shows still feature heavy re-writes.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco is definitely the number one thing to keep an eye on for me. But I think Coppelion looks solid too. And Galilei Donna could be fun too. Pupa and Kill la Kill at least bear keeping an eye on too. So yeah, I'm thinking it will be at least a solid season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hesitant to take any definite stance on when rape is appropriate to include and when it isn't. I'm honestly not sure. However, in any case, it's definitely something that I personally do NOT want to see in my media just for shock value or just sorta because. I'm always going to find rape just horrifying and I'm never going to want to see it in something I'm supposed to be finding fun and entertaining. I can generally get on board with all kinds of schlocky violence and other horrible crap. But not rape. Maybe that's contradictory. (Or maybe it isn't). As I said, I'm not gonna state that there is an objectively correct position here. But I don't want to see rape unless you're taking it deadly serious. It's horrifying. It puts me off the show. That's the bottom line for me.

Oh and rape as titillation and all it's fans can go fudge themselves. fudge that. fudge those people. I hate you all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend anyone sick of nerds might try taking a break from them and hang out with "normal" people for a while. Because, and I may take some flak for this, I actually think the average person might be a fair bit worse. Now, mind you, I'm not trying to in any way defend nerds, or downplay or mitigate their awful bullshit on the basis that others are worse. It's not okay and never will be regardless of what others do. But honestly, as someone who often deals with nerd misogyny, you'll feel less frustrated if you remember just how bad everyone else is too.

Of course, "normal people" or "non-nerds" if you prefer is a pretty nebulous term. There are certainly a ton of different circles of people out there and some of them are absolutely better that nerds. Sometimes way better. But looking at society as a whole, people are pretty shitty when it comes to gender issues. If you just take a random group of average, non-nerdy guys, the level of rampant, unapologetic sexism you'll find therein will much more often than not be even worse than the shit nerds pull. I mean at least nerds seem to take the "let's pretend misogyny and sexism aren't real" route which tacitly acknowledges that these are bad things. A lot of guys are just kinda overtly sexist though and don't even make an effort to pretend otherwise.

And I don't think nerds (or gamers especially) have gotten any worse either. And again, that's not to say they aren't terrible. But they've always been terrible. They're just more vocal now. And the reason they're more vocal is the fact that nerds are pushing back. Which is itself a result of people pushing forward in the first place and criticizing them and their hobbies for misogyny. And that's a really good sign. The fact that gender issues are a huge controversy in gaming is the first step to actually making progress on them. So as frustrating as dumb nerd rhetoric designed to pretend misogyny isn't a thing is, try to remember that it is actually a step up. It's a hell of a lot better when this stuff was just fine and not even discussed.

Again, just to be absolutely super clear, I'm not saying any of this to defend nerds. But putting aside blame, I don't think there is as much reason to feel negative here as it would seem. Nerds and nerdy mediums are actually doing alright, at least relative to the big shit stew that is society's take on gender issues.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I would disagree to an extent with what Zac said that there is no ostracizing of nerds or people interested in what seems nerdy. I say to an extent because I've been thinking about it over the weekend and I have a theory that whether or not you are shunned for having specific pop-cultural interests depends on two things. First, it depends on what it is you are interested in and how well-known that thing is to the general public and not just other nerds. It's one thing to talk about Spider-man as oppose to say Oreimo. Or even something that was nerdy because it was new and and not acknowledged at first by the public has now been around long enough to become a big, pop-cultural name in society.

That's definitely what Zac was getting at, which is the part I agree with. That said, the second, and probably an even bigger factor is how you address that nerdy thing in a conversation. I don't think it's nerdy if you talk about Spider-man in the form of current events. Most people care about the present and being aware of what's happening around them. Simply discussing how successful and popular Attack on Titan is or what kind of reaction a niche show is getting among peers or critics or how a DC or Marvel film is grossing at the Box office are ways of catching up on current events. In that sense, it's sort of similar from anyone talking about the Super Bowl, The World Cup or the Olympics, whether you are an athlete, sports fan or average joe. However, when the conversation about something supposedly nerdy steers into a path having less to do with current events, then you start alienating people who may not be into that subject matter. Once you go from talking about how popular a show is to say, getting in depth and speculating about the narrative of the show or expressing your hobby by buying merchandise in relation to that show, then that's where people feel tempted to apply the term "nerd".

It gets from discussing something that's broad and relatable to something more specific and unrelatable. And depending on how passionate you are about engaging into that nerdy thing, only so many people can jump in and get what you're talking about let alone be as interested. At least that's my theory on it. There may be more to it than that though and the situation on defining whether or not you are ostracized for being a nerd or how-so may be even more complicated.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
In regards to nerdy interests being "cool", I think there's also a big element of ironic detachment at play. There's a ton of stuff that it's cool to "like" in a very half joking, insincere and often nostalgic way. But if you actually are really genuinely into it then it isn't cool anymore at all.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
As someone in the anti-feminist or "Red Pill" or "Dark Enlightenment" movements, I am saddened by Zac's negative views towards people I disagree with politically.

There are actually multiple factions in the anti-feminist movement, and they often hate each other.

1.) a person I disagree with politically (Men's Rights Activists): These guys go head to head, vocally and everything against feminist ideals. Most of the youtube arguments you see are usually from these guys. As the loudest, it's hard to avoid the negativity even though in theory they are just offering the direct counterpoint to SCUM Manifesto RadFems. You don't want your daughter to be a RadFem anymore than you want your son to be a radical a person I disagree with politically. But yeah, it's nice that they're reading and responding.

2.) MGTOW (Men Going Their Own Way): These guys endeavor to simply withdraw from their financial support of the system by not dating, not marrying, and paying minimal taxes. The belief is that the whole world system is set out to enslave the capacity of men to create excess wealth which they believe mostly women end up consuming in the form of state-supported welfare programs and the consumption is getting out of control. Thus men being sent to jail for ridiculous outdated compound alimony payments.

3.)TradCons (Traditional Conservatives): This is where a lot of women in the anti-feminist movement (whereas MGTOW is strictly no females) reside and are welcome. These people hearken back to the "Good Old Days" where dad is breadwinner, mom is homeschooler, and kids can play outside because they're not being forced to become gay by the public school system.

4.) White Nationalists. Most of the problems in the developed world can be attributed to immigrants and minorities, such as the widespread rape and riots in Sweden committed by Somalis. It is interesting to note that white nationalists actually look up to Japan as a model to keep racial purity and have a strong anti-immigration stance.

My particular stance is that you cannot put the genie back in the bottle. You cannot unwind the sexual revolution, you cannot usher women back in the kitchen or whatever. But there are multiple ways in which men can respond if they find that they are not in a favorable situation. Which today is not a favorable one since the Great Recession has been mostly impactful to male jobs.

Also, misogynists aren't born. They're made by circumstance.
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
"You have to understand, my group isn't just one monolithic cluster of horrible people, it's all these many and varied types of detestable humans!"

I googled Dark Enlightenment, just to sees. I'd never heard of it before! Pretty interesting stuff. Pretty interesting, completely idiotic stuff.

Though, of course I'm familiar with the "red pill;" hey man, smooth move naming your shit after a movie starring Keanu Reeves. That's pretty much gonna rocket you right up next to Solzhenitsyn in your social commentary.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
Also, misogynists aren't born. They're made by circumstance.

Nah, I'm pretty sure idiots are born, not made. I'm willing to grant, however, that idiocy can be deepened by an idiot's environment.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad I got a reminder about how idiotic chauvinistic victim-envious machos are not the only plague out there.

Quote:
Thus men being sent to jail for ridiculous outdated compound alimony payments.

Quote:
where dad is breadwinner, mom is homeschooler

I know I should take this with humor given the completely retarded nature of the whole post, but as someone who was economically deserted by an alcoholic father and raised by a single mother since the age of 8, this assertions disgust me like few other things and make me question the universality of free speech.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
this assertions disgust me like few other things and make me question the universality of free speech.

Sometimes the best discourse can be found in the boundary of the politically correct and what some may term as "hate groups".

I know I'm only an idiot messenger (thanks for the dismissive and shaming language), but I don't think the messages of (Google them) The Rational Male, Sunshine Mary, or Gates of Vienna are entirely without merit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
...but I don't think the messages of (Google them) The Rational Male, Sunshine Mary, or Gates of Vienna are entirely without merit.

And no doubt Nazis thought their anti-Semitism wasn't entirely without merit. One of the hallmarks of idiocy is the inability to discern when you are spouting/reading/listening to it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't doubt Im_a_n00b doesn't think the anti-semitism is without merit, he's citing a groups of white supremacists that believe immigrants are the causes of all evil and attempt to keep the race pure. People once again prove how you can skirt through life with a 19th century mentality without ever questioning why the world is telling you you're wrong.
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
First post on Sunshine Mary, iff'n you were curious:

It's your fault you're not getting laid because you're an arrogant, sinful, crabby, not-submissive-enough wife.

Second post I'll just pull a quote verbatim:

"If you identify as a Christo-feminist, know this: no matter how much flowery social justice language you dress it up in, the purpose of your feminism is to justify your attempt to rule rather than to be ruled as you were commanded by God to be in Genesis 3:16"

She uses bold and italics, so you know she's serious.

Some pretty valuable discourse, I'd say!

The rest just seems like the usual tripe, including the first blog post on The Rationale Male citing "blue pill ignorance," which is an idea that borders on comical in how serious it is presented by its adherents.

The best way to sum up these arguments remains "the world told me I would be a strong, powerful person because I was born a man. But it turns out I'm a schlubby nerd with no power at all! Instead of blaming the world that sold me that fiction, that lied to me when they said all men are powerful and all women are weak, I'm going to blame women; it's their fault the world hasn't handed me everything I deserve on a silver platter!"

Last edited by daveriley on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Unlike the "nerd rule" where people are generally accepting of the idea that everyone is a nerd about something, those a person I disagree with politically types are generally viewed as doofuses. (not by everyone, though, since they are usually totally accepted by other doofus-ey a person I disagree with politically types)

Blood- has it figured out pretty much. ^^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8