• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Milky Holmes Cast to Voice My Little Pony in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Nickelodeon a satellite-only channel in Japan? It can't get the numbers TV Tokyo does.

My one little quibble with Brony fandom is that unlike anime and games (of which there are many titles created for a plethora of personality types and life stages), My Little Pony was specifically created for preschool to elementary school aged girls, and it feels like adults, and men in particular, co-opted the show. It's as if a bunch of adults got into Dora the Explorer or Sesame Street and demanded that the merchandising and even the shows writing changed to suit them. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but as there are so few shows specifically created for little girls to begin with I have a hard time getting over that aspect of the fandom.

That and the nasty allegations of sexual harassment against underage girls by self described "bronys" at a MLP con *couph*. (Yes, they should give up that title).
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Spongebob and it's 1.9 million Japanese households would like a word with you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16789412/ns/business-world_business/t/spongebob-winning-fans-cute-loving-japan/

Granted it's a bit dated, but it doesn't change the fact that Spongebob has enjoyed considerable success in Japan.

Confused I have never seen Spongebob on the weekly Japanese ratings ANN.com posts. I think that article is misinformed or lying.

uh, I already mention about Spongebob toys as part of Happy Meal for Mcdonald in Japan. Also that article DomonX2 put was published in 2007, so it's probably a little outdated. But the Japanese Mcdonald ads for Spongebob toy is enough proof for me. If Spongebob wasn't popular in Japan, then McDonald in Japan wouldn't have made Spongebob Happy Meal toy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Confused I have never seen Spongebob on the weekly Japanese ratings ANN.com posts. I think that article is misinformed or lying.

The mistake you are making is you are confusing a paid for cable TV show with free over the air prime time networks. Take all those 'TV' rankings with a grain of salt. One Piece in america is a total joke to most people. That does not mean nobody watches it. Sponge bob also airs numerous times a day, there are no new episodes. Everything you see on the japanese 'weekly rankings' are for new runs during prime time.

anyway, if spongebob was reported on here weekly I would be the first to leave these forums, lol. Exclamation
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Isn't Nickelodeon a satellite-only channel in Japan? It can't get the numbers TV Tokyo does.

My one little quibble with Brony fandom is that unlike anime and games (of which there are many titles created for a plethora of personality types and life stages), My Little Pony was specifically created for preschool to elementary school aged girls, and it feels like adults, and men in particular, co-opted the show. It's as if a bunch of adults got into Dora the Explorer or Sesame Street and demanded that the merchandising and even the shows writing changed to suit them. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but as there are so few shows specifically created for little girls to begin with I have a hard time getting over that aspect of the fandom.

That and the nasty allegations of sexual harassment against underage girls by self described "bronys" at a MLP con *couph*. (Yes, they should give up that title).

Not so, adults and males got into it because of how Faust & Co wrote the show, they have stated multiple times they write a cartoon they would want to sit down & watch with their own children. Good animation, good story telling is something anyone can enjoy, people like to lump things into demographics, age groups, genders, etc. And IMO the new MLP is helping break down those walls. Theres no reason a parent or older sibling can't enjoy what their children or little brothers/ sisters are watching just as much as they do.

Also past generations were mostly harmful to little girls, Generation 3 especially spewed the girly stereotypes out the wazoo. The problem with media aimed at females in general in the U.S. is that its treated little girls like their fragile & stupid. MLP:FIM treats little girls and kids in general with respect, thus treating the audience with respect. Thats why adults like it, because its a cartoon that doesn't speak down to its audience. Like the Don Bluth Films of old *Although not anywhere near as dark* the show realizes little girls, and kids in general aren't and don't have to be idiots.

And that my friends is something special.

As for any nasty allegations, theres bad people in every community, anime fans, above all should know that *no offense*
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
But the Japanese Mcdonald ads for Spongebob toy is enough proof for me. If Spongebob wasn't popular in Japan, then McDonald in Japan wouldn't have made Spongebob Happy Meal toy.

>_> 10/10 logic.

Agent355 wrote:

I dislike how they insist they're the true demographic for the show and launch hate campaigns against Hasbro because they only make toys for kids. For kids shows appealing to kids. >_>

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Not so, adults and males got into it because of how Faust & Co wrote the show, they have stated multiple times they write a cartoon they would want to sit down & watch with their own children. Good animation, good story telling is something anyone can enjoy, people like to lump things into demographics, age groups, genders, etc. And IMO the new MLP is helping break down those walls. Theres no reason a parent or older sibling can't enjoy what their children or little brothers/ sisters are watching just as much as they do.

Also past generations were mostly harmful to little girls, Generation 3 especially spewed the girly stereotypes out the wazoo. The problem with media aimed at females in general in the U.S. is that its treated little girls like their fragile & stupid. MLP:FIM treats little girls and kids in general with respect, thus treating the audience with respect. Thats why adults like it, because its a cartoon that doesn't speak down to its audience. Like the Don Bluth Films of old *Although not anywhere near as dark* the show realizes little girls, and kids in general aren't and don't have to be idiots.

And that my friends is something special.

>_> You guys seriously need to stop making the show into something it's not. It is just as girly and stereotypical as any others. Each of the main girls are specially tailored to appeal to every stereotype of girl. You can find them in every girl show because of how cliche those archetypes are. It's not brilliantly animated, it's cheap and made in Adobe Flash with so much copy pasting and reusing models. Its not for adult men, it's for little girls. It's writing is as basic as can be and relies on the same E/I moral of the day shoehorning a lot of kids shows have to go through.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Also past generations were mostly harmful to little girls, Generation 3 especially spewed the girly stereotypes out the wazoo. The problem with media aimed at females in general in the U.S. is that its treated little girls like their fragile & stupid. MLP:FIM treats little girls and kids in general with respect, thus treating the audience with respect.

>_> You guys seriously need to stop making the show into something it's not. It is just as girly and stereotypical as any others. Each of the main girls are specially tailored to appeal to every stereotype of girl. You can find them in every girl show because of how cliche those archetypes are. It's not brilliantly animated, it's cheap and made in Adobe Flash with so much copy pasting and reusing models. Its not for adult men, it's for little girls. It's writing is as basic as can be and relies on the same E/I moral of the day shoehorning a lot of kids shows have to go through.

OK i'll stop doing that, when you stop making anime more then it is, when gamers stop making games more then they are, when toy collectors stop trying to justify their habit.

See doesn't sound too nice does it. Different strokes for different folks brah. Just because you don't like the show and can't see the appeal or quality, doesn't make anything i'm saying wrong. In the end it all comes down to difference of views/opinion, etc.

I would think an anime fan would get this above all else, I mean considering so many anime re-hash the same tropes & cliches over & over & over, and grab on to the same trend for an extended period of time be it giant robots, fan service or moe girls and make shows with those things until your tired of seeing them, how many have such base and shallow writing filled with one dimensional characters, how many.... Yeah i'm gonna stop there, I think you get where i'm going here.

Yes the cartoon is made in Flash, but like Fosters its done very well. Yes it has cliches/tropes utilized in other cartoons, anime and just media in general, but they are *Mostly* executed very well. The fact is EVERYONE over emphasizes how good the things they like are and how bad the things they dislike are. My love of the show, and praise of it is no more or less legitimate then some one praising Adventure Time, Cowboy Bebop, Strike Witches, insert anime/cartoon here.

Also the I/E IS NOT Shoe-horned in the characters lessons they learn are logical conclusions to the events of the episode, yes the first 2 seasons have those annoying expositions about what they pony in the episode learned, but season 3 has *thankfully* phased that out, letting the morals &/or character growth feel more organic.

Again if you don't like it, thats fine, but you don't have to be such a jerk towards those that do.

I love animation & comics pure & simple I judge each work on its own merit, MLP:FIM in MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION is a quality product, if you don't think so, thats fine, but I find it rather sad and narrow minded that so many fans dismiss it, especially ones in the anime fandom, but meh, to each their own.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this is so awesome. I've looked up the announced VAs and seen examples of their roles. I think they'll fit alright. What I'm really excited about is the VA for Twi and Fluttershy, my two favorite ponies. I hope they're super moe!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
There is plenty of good animation, storytelling, characterization and writing in domestic children's television, and there always has been. Even shows aimed at girls. (hey, Gem and the Holograms has a small fandom!) Very few of those shows get the attention MLP has gotten, but that doesn't mean they are lower quality. I used to watch "Arthur" (the show about the Aardvark and his anthromorphized family and friends) regularly in its heyday. It's a great show made with care and a sense of humor obviously aimed at an all-ages, family audience. It never caught on with adults, though. *shrugs*

All fandoms have creeps, but when those creeps hang around 6-year-old girls and/or their stuff they start looking predatory. Parents freak out (a parent I know did. Don't know if his girls are allowed to watch MLP anymore, which is just sad). Adult MLP fans gotta have a no tolerance policy for that stuff, or they really will co-opt the fandom from its intended audience.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
There is plenty of good animation, storytelling, characterization and writing in domestic children's television, and there always has been. Even shows aimed at girls. (hey, Gem and the Holograms has a small fandom!) Very few of those shows get the attention MLP has gotten, but that doesn't mean they are lower quality. I used to watch "Arthur" (the show about the Aardvark and his anthromorphized family and friends) regularly in its heyday. It's a great show made with care and a sense of humor obviously aimed at an all-ages, family audience. It never caught on with adults, though. *shrugs*

All fandoms have creeps, but when those creeps hang around 6-year-old girls and/or their stuff they start looking predatory. Parents freak out (a parent I know did. Don't know if his girls are allowed to watch MLP anymore, which is just sad). Adult MLP fans gotta have a no tolerance policy for that stuff, or they really will co-opt the fandom from its intended audience.

This is true, there are many good all-ages toons parents & kids can watch together, as why Pony took off as opposed to say, Arthur, or oh I dunno, Kung-Fu Panda *yeah I can't think of anything else off the top of my head sorry* I would say, it was just one of those wonderful flukes, a once in a lifetime thing, a silly but beautiful accident, the stars aligned and every thing kind of just came into place.

Also the fact it has writers that have worked on alot of popular 90's , 00's Cartoon Network shows like PPG, Foster's Dexter, Samurai Jack , newer ones like Adventure Time and Nicktoons like Angry Beavers might have something to do with it as well. Oh and I know for a fact at least one of the writers used to work on South Park, talk about a carrer change, am I right!? Anime hyper

But yeah there are some fans that try to hard to opt-out the original demo, but a fair amount of Bronies respect the series overall is still a kids/all-ages and don't fuss to much about the toys, specially since they have so much other merch for older fans now, like the Comic and all the Hot Topic & WeLoveFine exclusive stuff.

As for a zero tolerance policy on creeps at cons, I agree, thats something NO one of any age for any fan base should have to put up with, specially kids. Sadly some creeps are pretty good at hiding. What I can say though is the Brony conventions do take security very seriously, so hopefully future cons will be as family friendly as some of their organizers want them to be. *Well as family friendly as a room full of nerds and antisocialites can be that is Anime hyper* Laughing

But yeah, hope Japan gives the show a good dub!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

As for a zero tolerance policy on creeps at cons, I agree, thats something NO one of any age for any fan base should have to put up with, specially kids. Sadly some creeps are pretty good at hiding. What I can say though is the Brony conventions do take security very seriously, so hopefully future cons will be as family friendly as some of their organizers want them to be. *Well as family friendly as a room full of nerds and antisocialites can be that is Anime hyper* Laughing

Well, at least this is one thing the MLP franchise won't have to worry about in Japan: have ya seen some of the AKB performances - Japan does not care! There can be as many middle-age wotaku there as they want - they won't care! Laughing
(At least Precure hasn't gone that road yet.)
Sorbet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Oh you mean those false rumors that one of the underage VA's made a point to say were false *COUGH*

https://twitter.com/MichelleCreber/status/238127204377194497

When will you and so everyone else on the internet learn not to believe every rumor you hear?

Agent355 wrote:

My one little quibble with Brony fandom is that unlike anime and games (of which there are many titles created for a plethora of personality types and life stages), My Little Pony was specifically created for preschool to elementary school aged girls, and it feels like adults, and men in particular, co-opted the show.

How are we co-opting the show? They're really two different worlds. A little girl isn't prevented from watching the show because grown men watch the show. If anything the buzz that Bronies have created results in more children watching the show, as well as more merchandise (like the comic books), and get to go to Brony conventions where kids got to do a lot of cool MLP activities including meeting the VA's.

Quote:
It's as if a bunch of adults got into Dora the Explorer or Sesame Street and demanded that the merchandising and even the shows writing changed to suit them. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but as there are so few shows specifically created for little girls to begin with I have a hard time getting over that aspect of the fandom.

Is there any tv show that is purely male domain? Lots of women watch sports, lots of women watch sci-fi, lots of women watch shows like Mad Men or Breaking Bad.

It's only fair that men get to enjoy the same privilege and get to watch what we want without being ostrasized.

Quote:

I dislike how they insist they're the true demographic for the show and launch hate campaigns against Hasbro because they only make toys for kids. For kids shows appealing to kids. >_>

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Bronies never claim to be the true demographic, other than as a running joke. And no hate campaigns have been launched over the toys. The only "hate campaign" launched was a mother upset that Princess Celestia (who is white on the show) was repainted as a pink toy to appeal to little girls as well as the recorded audio (think Malibu Stacy from the Simpsons) which the mother found sexist.

http://rebeccahains.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/pretty-princess-problems-the-case-of-princess-celestia/

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-reign-of-pink-celestia?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=url_share&utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign

Also your premise is flawed. All grown up fans of MLP want are higher quality toys that are show accurate. That does not hurt younger fans, nope, it actually benefits them too. Even kids want show accurate toys.

You make it sound like Bronies are asking for rated R toys or something.

Last edited by Sorbet on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:43 am; edited 3 times in total
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
I don't think My Little Pony will have the big mainstream success in Japan as some people on this forum are hoping for.

Judging by the way some adult fans are talking about it a big appeal of it is the show's writing. That will be the first thing to disappear in the Japanese edition -- just like how Crayon Shin-chan's mainstream appeal in Japan is because people can relate to it (the pervert dad is everyone's pervert dad, the flustered mom is everyone's flustered mom) just didn't come across to Western markets. They only managed to get the crude humour, and so only got a niche (ie. anime fans who like crude humour?). Maybe someone can prove me wrong on this though.

The only advantage that My Little Pony has is the cute designs, but in Japan cute is a dime a dozen.

Promoting the show as 'with the same cast as Milky Holmes' sounds like they are angling for a niche: ie. they heard about the brony phenomenon in America and are trying to see if they can luck it out with some of the loli otaku in Japan. Unless they are also marketing it to the kids' market? Any toys, games, tournaments, etc.?

Unless there's a niche of loli otaku who are also furry in Japan, I don't see this niche lapping up My Little Pony. Milky Holmes fans will probably just stick to their next season of Milky Holmes rather than look at some strange novelty.

(I will try not to judge on the fandom of either shows...at least not vocally.)
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
@DandelionsRose

I can see why you would think that, but thats not really true... If you read BUSHIROAD'S plans for the series they are shooting mainly at kids, but will acknowledge older fans.... Here take a Look At This.

Quote:
-Japanese title is My Little Pony トモダチは魔法 (tomodachi wa mahou = Friendship is Magic)
-scheduled to begin airing on TV Tokyo in April of this year
- the show will be available in both Japanese dub and original English
-recognition of older pony fans was mentioned
-4 of the mane 6 voice actresses were revealed:
- Applejack: 徳井青空 Sora Tokui
- Rarity: 佐々木未来 Mikoi Sasaki
- Pinkie Pie: 三森すずこ Suzuko Mimori
- Rainbow Dash: 橘田いずみ Izumi Kitta
- The 4 voice actresses listed above are the main characters in Tantei Opera Milky Holmes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Holmes
- Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy will be revealed at an event in March
- toy line marketed towards young girls
- other merchandise such as magazines, accessories, and smart phone applications will be marketed towards middle school age through college (and if I know my Japanese marketing, you are SURE to get a TON of awesome, made only in Japan pony merch!)
- new website: http://mylittleponyjapan.com (under construction)
- 52 episodes confirmed (season 1-2) but if it remains popular, we are sure to get season 3 and beyond
- they are hoping the show will teach the importance of friendship while teaching English to kids as well (not many children's shows are automatically available in English here on TV)
You can find the Japanese MLP work in progress website here!

You can find this quote on EQD, DHN, or The Round Stable, this is the companies Plans for the property in Japan, they are going after kids.

As for appeal. I think this show will go over well with the Precure Audiance pretty well. Heck if the show were an anime it would be a weird mix of Slice of Life & Magical Girl show anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB7Tnv5ju6k
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Also past generations were mostly harmful to little girls, Generation 3 especially spewed the girly stereotypes out the wazoo. The problem with media aimed at females in general in the U.S. is that its treated little girls like their fragile & stupid. MLP:FIM treats little girls and kids in general with respect, thus treating the audience with respect. Thats why adults like it, because its a cartoon that doesn't speak down to its audience.

Noooo Soundmonkey, don't say that! ;n; MLP is a great cartoon and I'm glad that girls (and boys) love it, but it makes me so sad when fans feel the need to dismiss or put down the girly-shows that came before it in order to legitimize their love for MLP. There have been soooo many girly cartoons that have helped give girls hopes and dreams and teach them how to be cool smart people, just like MLP does today. In the 90s we had Sailor Moon and Daria and Powerpuff Girls and Pepper Ann; little girls in the 00s had Ojamajo Doremi and As Told By Ginger and Tokyo Mew Mew and all sorts of cute, sparkly, inspiring shows and movies to watch. Girly cartoons are the bomb diggity, so please don't say mean things about the entire demographic to make one show look better in comparison, it's really not fair!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
@Sorbet: "Are there any TV shows that are purely male domain?" Seriously?

Have you somehow missed the "fake geek girl" controversy all over the blogosphere since SDCC this year? Sure, women can enjoy any type of entertainment they want. It's legal now, after all. But heaven forbid they try to get involved in their favorite fandoms without a mysogynistic backlash.

And if they try to actually get into the industry and work behind the scenes--name all the women who have won Oscars for best directing, all the female showrunners in television, all the comedy writers, producers, and let's not even start with the comic book industry in America which:
A. Was co-opted by adults a few decades ago and is only now making a comeback with better kids comics and
B. Is still lopsided towards men all the way around. This is also changing, but snails crawl faster.

Other examples of fans "co-opting" media:

1. The many male fans of old school shonen who have complained that women fans literally changed the look of characters (as much as I like the fact that Shonen Jump readers are nearly 50% female, I can't deny that content and style of said manga has changed considerably since the 1980s)

2. The Magical Girl genre has changed quite a bit as well from its inception. As much as I love Madoka Magica, it's intended audience was not young girls, and that's one quality example of who magical girl shows have been written for since the heyday of Sailor Moon.

It's still very much a man's world (except for shonen manga, apparently). Anime fandom is blessedly egalitarian, but it's an exception, not the rule. So guys get a bit of kickback over enjoying a show and they can't take the heat? Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12