• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you feel about older animation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I generally prefer the older shows more that the recent ones. Star Blazers, Fist of the north star the original Vampire Hunter D are among my favorites.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I find older anima far more enjoyable then many modern shows. More attention to detail, nicer backdrops, and many times better or more enjoyable story and characters. Heck give me conan, trigun or fotns over 3/4 of modern anime any day, oh sure modem shows may be more fluid and have shiny characters, LOL. But nothing beats the classics.
jeffrey78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoy the older animation, many wonderful character designers came out in that period such as Haruhiko Mikimoto(SDF Macross), Kenichi Sonoda(Bubblegum Crisis), Toshihiro Hirano(Iczer-One), Mamoru Nagano(Five Star Stories), Yoshikazu Yasuhiko(Gundam), and the like. Many of them I like and their style of animation is quite beautiful as far as designing bishonen and bishojo characters. A good number of gorgeously animated characters came out during the cel-animation era.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
loka wrote:
There were two I remember being licensed very recently - Birdy and Dirty Pair. What is my point? It's f***ing terrible. Absolute trash. Typical American comic book crap not enough for ya? Can't get enough of that great Wonder Woman and Dick Tracy storytelling? Then older anime should sate you.

Something is telling me you haven't seen either. And yes, you're also suggesting all new anime are masterpieces of sight and sound, brilliant writing on the level of Dostoevsky , 100% of them.

Someone can have 269 posts and have been here for more than a year and still be a troll, you know. Wink
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
They need to completely reanimate most of those older shows (frame by frame like the original) from scratch with today's HD standards. Maybe even a redub depending on the circumstances.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well perhaps that is asking for too much.

They should just be cleaned or touched up, brighter colors, and have the animation be more fluid. Basically just update it to today's standards.

Look what an HD Cleanup did to a DBZ movie.

From this upgraded to HD Glory
Gentry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very keen on old animation as it doesn't look nearly as good as the new stuff. They weren't very good at drawing back then. With the aid of a computer most animation looks at least half decent now days, clean and bright.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6