• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakuman. (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amulyaa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
It's a entertaining anime and i still remember the episodes called Recall and Call which i watch with my friends and it was really interesting.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow I was stunned with that last scene I was!. This keeps geting interesting now Mashiro will definetly take the offer with open arms because he might think Saiko is slacking off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me what the big deal is regarding Azuki and Mashiro not even bothering to meet with one another until both become successful as a seiyuu (Azuki) and manga-ka (Mashiro)? As grounded to reality as the series is with exploring the challenges of becoming a successful manga-ka, this element to the series has been baffling me considering Mashiro knows full well spoiler[how his uncle and Azuki's mother were too late to hook up as by the time the uncle's manga was successful enough to be made into an anime, the mother was already married by that point]. It's like the series is pushing its believability to the breaking point with that aspect, especially as spoiler[Takagi and Miyoshi have hooked up and maintained a stable relationship despite Takagi often being wrapped up in helping Mashiro with making manga and the latest episode exploring Takagi getting frustrated when getting reprimanded from Mashiro for being with Miyoshi while trying to develop a plot for their battle manga.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
^ They've touched on that a bit. I believe the main reason is to spoiler[keep focus on their dreams. If they just start dating now they may have less aspiration and determination to continue with their goals. I think either Takagi or Mashiro was explaining to Miyoshi that if Mashiro is always around to comfort Azuki, Azuki may not care as much about being a seiyuu cause she's already found love. Plus there is the whole distraction part. Now I'm not saying that's completely believable... but I guess understandable? To me at least.

As for Takagi and Miyoshi having a stable relationship... that's debatable. Are you current with the anime? Don't read the next line below if you are not I guess. ]

(Spoiler from 15+ on I guess? To be safe)
spoiler[They've gone out like 2-3 times since and Takagi has made it clear Miyoshi comes second to his work. ]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
^ They've touched on that a bit. I believe the main reason is to spoiler[keep focus on their dreams. If they just start dating now they may have less aspiration and determination to continue with their goals. I think either Takagi or Mashiro was explaining to Miyoshi that if Mashiro is always around to comfort Azuki, Azuki may not care as much about being a seiyuu cause she's already found love. Plus there is the whole distraction part. Now I'm not saying that's completely believable... but I guess understandable? To me at least.

As for Takagi and Miyoshi having a stable relationship... that's debatable. Are you current with the anime? Don't read the next line below if you are not I guess. ]

(Spoiler from 15+ on I guess? To be safe)
spoiler[They've gone out like 2-3 times since and Takagi has made it clear Miyoshi comes second to his work. ]

I've seen all of the episodes that have come out for this season thus far. As for spoiler[Takagi and Miyoshi, I meant their relationship is as stable as it can considering Takagi's commitments to helping out Mashiro yet Azuki and Mashiro are still being distant from one another and it's not even certain if they can both be successful with what they are planning for life.] I know of the why. It's just the whole plot element makes no sense for me considering how down-to-earth and believable the show is otherwise with exploring the challenges faced by Mashiro and Takagi in trying to be a successful duo as manga-ka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much of Azuki's ideas had to do with her mom. Maybe she discovered her mother's letters and thought it was romantic, maybe her mom planted the idea somehow. Even if it didn't work out for mom they both seem like romantic types who put more value on the the idea than the outcome.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder how much of Azuki's ideas had to do with her mom. Maybe she discovered her mother's letters and thought it was romantic, maybe her mom planted the idea somehow. Even if it didn't work out for mom they both seem like romantic types who put more value on the the idea than the outcome.

Yeah, they're both romantics. To them, the relationship that they have now is a fulfilling one. They don't feel a compelling need to hook up any time soon. If didn't work out for their relatives because they weren't honest about their feelings and only danced around the issues, but Mashiro and Azuki have been honest, and both agree to this path.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about their distant relationship. They actually deal with most of that at the end of episode 18.
If you don't mind a little spoiler, he texts her saying something like:
spoiler["Please don't get mad, but why are you okay with not seeing me?"]
Of course, the issue was dealt with quickly (they seem to be aware that enough time has been spent on their relationship already).

Can I relate? Why not. Let's use food as an example. I tend to eat the worst first. And there are two advantages to that. The first is that the best will taste better, and the second is that the worst would taste worse if eaten after the best --- three, three advantages. The first is that the best will taste better; the second is that the worst would taste worse if eaten after the best, and the last is that I could risk not caring about the worst anymore after being satisfied by the best.
Makes sense? No? Well, since when does love make sense?
kiddtic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
I think this show is trying to build up an unsurmountable "challenging" atmosphere. Having the protagonist have to wait till his dreams comes true to get the girl gives us the viewers a goal or prize if you will.

Its hard enough to become a manga-ka we all know that and its also hard to maintain a relationship. this is where the problem comes in, This show is not about the relationship at all. Its about becoming a successful manga-ka, Azuki is merely th princess at the end of the castle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
IMHO that love thread should be cut away or changed. The parts about creating manga were interesting, but love thread made me sick. For manga pretending to be realistic it was too much. Maybe it could work another way, for example protagonist decided not to tell about it and wait with confession for the day he become famous. Still stupid, but that's kind of idea that would come to mind of shy teenager.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
That would work, except that it's exactly his uncle's story, and he knew that this road didn't work out. Mashiro's path is round 2, with lessons learned. It would never make sense as a plan A, but knowing that plan A was a bad idea, this was his reaction to it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
2nd Season
ep.6

This season so far has been interesting.
Can't call it exciting, that isn't a likely adjective for the show, but it gets to a somewhat intriguing spot.

They've certainly stopped with the snail's pace of the first season, in fact they have maybe sped things up too much. The pace they've gone through the serialization and onto the plans for the 20th installment is wicked fast. Over a year in a couple episodes.

Finally an explanation for Azuki's feelings. A bit silly, basically a girl's crush that turns out to be requited. And oh is it nice that they spoiler[dropped the "we'll never meet until our dreams are fulfilled" thing, even if it is likely temporary. Talk! Connect! realize you're both people and not the idealized figures you've imagined!]

The situation does strike me as sensationalistic. But I guess it is possible, and you do hear stories of manga-ka whose health suffers significantly due to their workload.

Still, spoiler[Eat a damn sandwich, you moron!]

I'm sort of hoping this whole situation does lead the cast to a reality check. spoiler[At this point Mashiro is certainly resisting it, and all of his friends are somewhat begrudgingly enabling him, but I think the higher up editors are going to put their foot down. There will be a delay of some sort, it could ruin "the dream" as stated but I think we're seeing it's a reckless goal that they've been chasing.]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if they'll touch on the circumstances surrounding his uncle's death. I can see the editor-in-chief fellow turning up to relate to Mashiro some sort of tale about how his uncle overdid it, drawing comparisons to his current situation, etc.

Their new editor is a total baka though, hope he gets his act together soon.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh ha, spoiler[guess I was right!]

Next episode looks like it'll be awesome. I'm sure for the manga readers they've been through all this already and it's no surprise but for those of us just watching Bakuman in animated form, the tension is really building now.

Can't wait for next week tbh Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to figure out what we, the audience, are supposed to be thinking here.

They're going for the shonen "let's go for it!" attitude but this is also a series by manga authors that is really, in part, about the abusive treatment manga authors are put through and put themselves through to even have a chance a success...

So who should we be rooting for? The authors or the editors? spoiler[Should we really think it's so praiseworthy for a person to destroy their health in the name of "not giving up"?]

spoiler[To tell the truth I still think the idiot should stay in bed, rest, and eat a few meals.

I guessing it will go with some compromise route and the fellow authors will be forced, or reluctantly convinced, to accept it.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13