• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Miho is the only one experienced in tank battles, so i guess they all figured the best thing to do would be to take her out first, then turn on each other.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
ep.4

spoiler[well i say quite oops & WHAT

so tank battle give looking fine til all fall apart from pink tank crew run away to student council tank going fire wild & stuck make 5 on 3?

then take battle to the city sure got 1 but now 4 on 1 til student council tank appear & fire but missed in front of the target are you serious bro?

cue comeback but in end failed doing loser dance after battle time relax til hana's mom going NO why my daughter doing tank give reason for now leave the family.

after long day pink tank crew sorry for being coward now for tournament tank battles beings.]
Ringking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
This episode really makes me wonder what the rate of collateral damage is for this 'sport'.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Tankery is nothing so gouche as a "sport."

*ahem*

It is a dignified ... activity ... wherein young ladies learn to refine their feminine sensibilities. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Tankery is nothing so gouche as a "sport."

*ahem*

It is a dignified ... activity ... wherein young ladies learn to refine their feminine sensibilities. Wink
And blow shit up.

Episode 4

We ended up right back to the begining of episode one, and I am happy how this time it gets a diffirent reaction in knowing the characters now, and getting a feel of the tank thing. Through it all I had I had an appreciation of the graphics. And we got a small explanation of how they are protected, and a mention that hanging out the top is dangerous.

Despite it all our main characters did not do terribly well, which more, dare I say it, realistic. spoiler[They relied largely on one team, which is of course the aptly named "A team"], tell me I am not the only one that plays the music in my head, actually the standard music aint much diffirent. The student council team spoiler[got a little trigger happy and gave away the ambush, monicle girl really is surprisingly hot headed for her usual calm demeanor]. The overall team has some pretty poor aim, they spoiler[got themselves surounded, six girl team ran away when it got too scary.]

They did manage to do a couple good bits in spoiler[town, but the volleyball team underestimated the other teams armour and did not take the chance to do multiple fires]. Team C (flashy team) spoiler[gave their position away with their flags. Student council did look like they could pull a surprise win out, but they missed at almost point blank]. The A team then managed to spoiler[put up a great fight, and when it was a fire between the last two, they lsot out despite fireing first, a diffirence in armor, although the lightness is what kept them alive so long.]

Miho was spoiler[upset over them losing, and they had to do the embarassing dance, but to be fair the student council also joined in], they are fun. And we have another scene where we find that spoiler[Hana's mother reacts badly to finding out Hana's class, and unfortuantly Hana ends up disowned, Hana is surprisingly strong through this]. I just want to give her a hug. But the English themed tea team said spoiler[they had fun through it all, and even sent a message that they did well, and even their coach is happy with the result], so they can improve. But now we seem to have been thrown into a tournament, will they get their training?
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
"My shop"" now i can get it remodeled!"

kind of lacking in anything remotely resembling tactics on either side.

they had a great chance to win with the original location. simply have all the tanks pre-aimed on the walls instead of the tanks and bury them in rock. landslides make for great immobilizers.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
I was surprised to see the 3 remaining tanks head out into an urban area. Urban tank warfare has always interested me a bit as there are so much more hiding places and general strategy that can be used there compared to out in the open or on top of a hill.

Is it me or is the animation actually getting better in this show? I think they've realized that the show is going to be a relatively decent success (it's currently the top ranked fall season show on Amazon.jp's DVD rankings). They're putting in extra touches of facial/background animation where they could honestly get by without it. I like seeing that. I thought the CG was a lot better this episode as well.

Anyway, it's awesome that they jumped straight to the national tournament. Looking forward to see how many Shermans Miho and the rest can destroy.

If it could just up the yuri content a little bit it'd be perfect
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
For something that's supposed to be ridiculously embarrassing, spoiler[the student council president sure seems to enjoy the Ankou dance - and the busty member doesn't seem to mind it too much either].

Did anybody else think for a moment that spoiler[the volleyball girls took out Erwin's tank destroyer]? That aside, I have to wonder spoiler[whether or not they'll keep the flags, given how much of a liability they proved to be].
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
That aside, I have to wonder spoiler[whether or not they'll keep the flags, given how much of a liability they proved to be].

In the context of that battle, they spoiler[weren't a complete liability. Team C did use those flags to blend in with the urban surroundings when they ambush and destroy a Matilda http://s10.postimage.org/dwo1f8h9l/Girls_und_Panzer_04_snapshot_10_10.jpg
It'd be more likely that they'd just makeshift some kind of mechanism to fold those flags down when needed.
]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I think it's more like the alley completely concealed their presence and the Matilda wasn't cautious enough rolling into the street. The Brits likely weren't expecting such guerrilla tactics. I really don't think the banners helped them at all in that situation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll be damned if that episode wasn't exciting. I love the first person POV from below the cannon, it's a shame that the GCI framerate isn't proper enough to make it smooth, but it was great nonetheless.
Zork

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought the final scene showing what looks like a couple dozen Shermans interesting. Combat-wise the Sherman was considered a mediocre tank at best, at least until the US Army upgraded to a higher velocity cannon. It's success came from the sheer number of them produced. I wonder if the final scene was some sort of reference to that.

Also, the name of the school using the Shermans was interesting as well. This might be a stretch, but I wonder if the name Saunders is in reference to Sgt. Saunders, the character played by Vic Morrow in the old Conbat! television show. According to Wiki, a video game called Sgt. Saunders Combat! was released exclusively in Japan in 1995.

I do know this: if some toy company ever releases a nendoroid version of each tank crew complete with their tank as shown in the closing song I'm buying them no matter what the cost. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
GIRLZ UND PANZER, SIGGA SIGGA SIGGA JA! JA! JA!

God, I love this show. It is both hilarious and exciting. I loved the Germanophile crew's stereophonic "shoulders up and down" triumphant laughing.

Also very funny how they are taking standard tropes of Japanese drama and archly play them: i.e. the disapproving aristocratic mother, etc.

An incredibly well done show when you consider how easy it would have been to make the cheesy version of this.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
An incredibly well done show when you consider how easy it would have been to make the cheesy version of this.

I wouldn't have minded some more detailed screen time of the Ankou dance costumes. Cheesy has its place you know.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
oh, what a fun episode. i will most definitely be picking this one up the moment Sentai puts this up for pre-order. the end kinda reminded me of Big Windup: the new, underdog team facing off against a team favored to win the championship. this should be fun
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 30