• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
K (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Neko is the greatest. Not only is she naked, she's hilarious too! My favourite part was when the dude ran into the wall.

Kukuri is also a sweet, helpful girl... even if she unknowlingly led an assassin to her classmate Laughing

I was impressed by Shiro's wits in this ep as well. I totally didn't expect that he would spoiler[be inside that costume.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
This show is so hilariously shallow it makes Sword Art Online seem like a high-brow discourse on the human condition.

It is confusing, appallingly written, incredibly lame with its attempts to make the 'gangsta' characters seem all edgy and cool (when in reality they are class-A posers), has no concept of realism, and doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word "consequences". Then there's the bland lead who barely has any personality at all, a classmate who crushes on him in the most clunky way possible, a moronic swordsman who actually cooks for the very guy he believes is a cold-blooded murderer, and an obnoxious clothes-hating cat-girl ghost (or is that ghost cat-girl?) with her cheesy cat-themed defences and meow-activated warping ability. Finally, the show reeks of badly-done fusion cooking; you can't simply throw every trope within reach into a blender and then bake the resulting mixture until everything is overdone, it doesn't work like that.

K is so off its rocker it's - surprisingly - almost watchable just to see what crap it will pull next. No doubt it will be a huge hit. The producers have brought in several famous Seiyuu, the visuals are slicker than oil, the soundtrack is suitably catchy, the character designs appeal to Otaku and Fujoshi alike, and the plot is very simple so the audience doesn't have to use their brains. But while K will be popular, it is clear to me that it tried so hard to be cool (and failed spectacularly) that it forgot (or didn't even try) to be good. At least Durarara!! had some great writing in between pandering to its audience, but there's nothing in K but pandering. That will make it lots of money, true, but it also means there's no reason for me to stick around.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
Oh my god! I am practically on the same wavelength as dtm42 with this show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Wait, how is it confusingly written yet very simple at the same time?

I'd definitely agree more with the latter, but there are hints of something more complex under the surface. We're still only in the introductory episodes so it's not going to give too much away yet.

It's got some well used elements, sure, but what's important is how they mesh together and so far they've clicked pretty well. Nothing particularly outstanding yet, but at the very least it's not bad.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
Well DuskyPredator, simple probability says that it had to happen eventually.

And no, you're not being too hard on K. It deserves to be mocked.

My reaction to this show:

And in audiovisual form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o19CaOSuD8

Vaisaga wrote:
Wait, how is it confusingly written yet very simple at the same time?

The story itself has been rather simple; bunch of people want to kill dude, dude runs for his life and gets rescued by his ghost catgirl.

But the actual plot is confusing; we have no idea what the hell is going on or who these people are, other than Shiro has amnesia or something and is being hunted. I know it's early days but it doesn't help when organisations and terminologies are thrown at us without them being logically linked into a proper framework. The big a-hole leader of the red faction gets introduced in episode one, summons a four-story-high sword and then is somehow captured and barely appears in the second episode. The swordsman spouts the name of his master as if it's supposed to mean something. We are treated to Bloods vs Crips, red vs blue gang warfare, but no mention is made as to why they are at odds. Maybe it's due to irreconcilable differences regarding fashion? Then of course there's Neko and her vaguely-established but oh-so-awful powers.

I don't need or want infodumps but there are other ways to tell a story.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the second eppie more than the first. This show simultaneously attracts and repels me. Naked Cat Girl and pretty, pretty pictures are part of the attraction part. I don't like the voice that Amnesia Boy's seiyuu is using. It kinda makes me want to punch that character in the face any time he opens his yap.

Anyway, the show has edged a little further off the chopping block than it was after eppie 1.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't like the voice that Amnesia Boy's seiyuu is using. It kinda makes me want to punch that character in the face any time he opens his yap.
I'm pretty sure that's what's driving the show's plot. Yeah, mysterious scene on rooftop or whatever, but that's just the excuse everyone's using to do what they would've done regardless.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
I don't quite understand your statement that that character's annoying voice is driving the plot.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
OK, I hate watching anime on my computer, but I did these first two episodes just now and will probably try to keep up with this show. The first episodes don't have a lot of plot really, it seems like it hints at more, but I wonder if it will be worth it when ever they get around to it or not.

Regardless, this show is beautiful. That alone is often times enough to suck me into a show. I really appreciate the beautiful crisp scenes, the scenery and towns look gorgeous, and the characters and their powers, whatever they maybe, look equally beautifully animated.

Seems like there is a little something here for everyone, beautiful bishis, naked cat girl, supernatural powers, action, intrigue and school life as well.

Hard to tell if this will ever be really good as it could be trying to be too much, but it sure was fun to watch regardless and I am on board!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't quite understand your statement that that character's annoying voice is driving the plot.

He means everyone wanting to punch him in the face is driving the plot.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This show is so hilariously shallow it makes Sword Art Online seem like a high-brow discourse on the human condition.

It is confusing, appallingly written, incredibly lame with its attempts to make the 'gangsta' characters seem all edgy and cool (when in reality they are class-A posers), has no concept of realism, and doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word "consequences". Then there's the bland lead who barely has any personality at all, a classmate who crushes on him in the most clunky way possible, a moronic swordsman who actually cooks for the very guy he believes is a cold-blooded murderer, and an obnoxious clothes-hating cat-girl ghost (or is that ghost cat-girl?) with her cheesy cat-themed defences and meow-activated warping ability. Finally, the show reeks of badly-done fusion cooking; you can't simply throw every trope within reach into a blender and then bake the resulting mixture until everything is overdone, it doesn't work like that.

K is so off its rocker it's - surprisingly - almost watchable just to see what crap it will pull next. No doubt it will be a huge hit. The producers have brought in several famous Seiyuu, the visuals are slicker than oil, the soundtrack is suitably catchy, the character designs appeal to Otaku and Fujoshi alike, and the plot is very simple so the audience doesn't have to use their brains. But while K will be popular, it is clear to me that it tried so hard to be cool (and failed spectacularly) that it forgot (or didn't even try) to be good. At least Durarara!! had some great writing in between pandering to its audience, but there's nothing in K but pandering. That will make it lots of money, true, but it also means there's no reason for me to stick around.

Eviscerated.

Dtm42, I love you.

Ok, seriously though, I fell asleep about half way through the first episode of this show. Granted, it was late at night and I had just watched a whole slew of other shows from this season... better shows... but yea, I was simply not impressed with the show overall.

Of course, the visuals and animation were absolutely top notch. I don't recall the last time I saw a show with such great production values... maybe Death Note or Moribito. However, that seems to be all that K has going for it right now.

First of all, I don't remember the names of any of the important characters. That is always a bad sign. All I remember is there was some white haired goofy kid nicknamed "Shiro" and he had a cat girl thingy who seemed invisible to the kids in the school called "Neko" (is that the MOST unoriginal name for a cat girl you have ever seen?) In the introduction of "Neko," we see her performing some floaty fairy dance routine as she moves around the school. She appears to be either insane or ridiculously eccentric. I suppose Neko is supposed to be some kind of fan servicey pander to those among us who salivate at the idea of a sexy cat-person/fox-person/mythical creature-person character somehow involved with the main character. I am certainly not opposed to this. I just recently finished watching Our Home's Fox Deity, which is more or less a romantic comedy/harem/mystical monster of the week show involving a fox-person named Kugen who protects an older and younger brother. I liked Kugen, a lot. Kugen has a fierce personality and seems very intelligent and even wise, despite his/her tendency to rage. Although I never finished all of Spice and Wolf, I had a similar liking of Holo. She had a great personality and seemed to be more than just a straight up pander. This "Neko" character, so far, seems more like a toy and I'm not buying it.

As others have noted, the show does also have a somewhat pretentious air to it. The production team seems to have spent considerable time and effort playing with camera angles and making sure that the viewer is exposed to numerous reflections and sun flares bouncing off mirrors and windows and the like. Everything sparkles and shines, even the Abercrombie and Fitch models who serve as punk gang members have been lovingly sculpted to bishounen perfection. Yet, after all the effort spent in making this show look gorgeous, I don't really know how I am supposed to connect with this show. Maybe part of the problem is that I don't know what to expect, since the show seems to straddle so many different genres. As was said above, it's almost like the writers polled the most popular themes and tropes of current anime and tossed them all together in one big pot, then spiced it up with some slick visuals and animation. I might watch a few more episodes just to see if there is an actual story here, or if K is really just all about coolness, skateboards, impeccably dressed punkery, and bishie swordsmen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Blood- wrote:

He means everyone wanting to punch him in the face is driving the plot.

Ah, gotcha.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I don't think I have any qualms with the show because it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. It comes across as a more goofy show -- episode 2 --with very high production values. I find myself enjoying maybe even more than I'm suppose to but it's fun for me to watch. The show seems to be taking it easy so far with plot and direction so I'm not expecting too much. I've read various things about how there may be subliminal messaging within the show itself but I'm far too lazy to rewatch it to confirm these suspicions. I'll just wait for the show to unravel and reveal it to us.

I also like most of the characters so far despite the lack of depth or development in them; maybe it's because they're all so pretty. Neko's pretty gorgeous and makes me look at animals in a different light. Gosh, that sounds so creepy.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree.

I didn't start this show expecting another Serial Experiments Lain, but a fun, high-quality brawler. I got what I expected for the most part, with some refreshingly nice music and atmosphere.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Eviscerated.

Dtm42, I love you.

Platonically, I hope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 16