• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
I figured that the hiatus was a fairly standard "Christmas break" hiatus, which might have been partly to do with the dubbing studios taking the hollidays off, but was also to do with more people than usual taking vacations and being away form television, and therefore ratings, on average, going down. No use burning good episodes to lower than average ratings, or in potentially turning off viewers that missed those episodes.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
Very true, though I must say that I wish they had more forewarning for it. It would have been nice if they could have aired episode 22 again during the hiatus. I think that one would have surely gotten more attention. It was certainly a slap in the face/wake up call episode for me after I had been pretty much casually watching the series up to that point. So causually that I actually missed the 'table-kun' incident because I had it on, but wasn't really paying attention. But now I'd say for sure that I am more than likely going to end up buying this series to see what I might have unintentionally skimmed over with how I had been watching it before.

But yes, I am wondering what Lelouch's new plan is considering that his whole purpose of becoming Zero was for Nunnally's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
But yes, I am wondering what Lelouch's new plan is considering that his whole purpose of becoming Zero was for Nunnally's sake.

Well it seems uncharacteristic for Lelouch to just give up on being zero. And remember that he still has the other goal of finding out who killed his mother. We still have like 18 episodes to go, so I doubt that this will be the end of Zero. Also he still has to get Nunnally back, in his current situation he can even get near Nannally because that would show that he regained his memories.

I can see to out comes to the whole 'Zero agreeing to work with Nunnally' thing. One, there is a large scale plan that Zero already has set up to get the upper hand. Two, something will go wrong in the agreement like last time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:

I can see to out comes to the whole 'Zero agreeing to work with Nunnally' thing. One, there is a large scale plan that Zero already has set up to get the upper hand. Two, something will go wrong in the agreement like last time.

Three, it goes bad just like last time, but only because the writers are bound and determine to re-hash EVERY GODDAM BIT OF R1 before actually giving us anything new. Anime hyper

Sorry, it just really bugs me when a writer spends so much effort on repeating itself.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Mushi-Man wrote:

Three, it goes bad just like last time, but only because the writers are bound and determine to re-hash EVERY GODDAM BIT OF R1 before actually giving us anything new. Anime hyper

Sorry, it just really bugs me when a writer spends so much effort on repeating itself.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with that. When i watched the first episode I just thought "hm... this seems familiar." It seems that the writers like to carry allot of stuff over from the first season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
That is true, a lot of parallels and familiar elements are present, but part of it has been out of necessity. It's not like the writers were the people who chose to move the show to a different time slot where they more or less had to re-launch it and change their original plans, by the staff's own admission. Doesn't make it much better, since the writers still had to do their job, just provides context.

I'd also say there are still enough differences if you look for them, especially regarding exactly how those same elements are used. For better or for worse, of course, but that is another matter. I do think the circumstances surrounding Lelouch's latest decision, for instance, are fairly new.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
That is true, a lot of parallels and familiar elements are present, but part of it has been out of necessity. It's not like the writers were the people who chose to move the show to a different time slot where they more or less had to re-launch it and change their original plans, by the staff's own admission. Doesn't make it much better, since the writers still had to do their job, just provides context.

I'd also say there are still enough differences if you look for them, especially regarding exactly how those same elements are used. For better or for worse, of course, but that is another matter. I do think the circumstances surrounding Lelouch's latest decision, for instance, are fairly new.

I'm not saying that the common themes are a bad thing. I think it's being used to show a symbolism of a rebirth of the characters and conflicts. But as for his latest decision, that is not to new. spoiler[He agreed to help with Euphemia in the first season. And remember in the first episode of both seasons he had soldiers kill themselves. ] But as I said before, I think this is for a purpose of showing the rebirth of Zero. I think it works out nicely in the end.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:

I'm not saying that the common themes are a bad thing. I think it's being used to show a symbolism of a rebirth of the characters and conflicts. But as for his latest decision, that is not to new. spoiler[He agreed to help with Euphemia in the first season. And remember in the first episode of both seasons he had soldiers kill themselves. ] But as I said before, I think this is for a purpose of showing the rebirth of Zero. I think it works out nicely in the end.

I guess, but while the decision itself is not new at all, I do think the circumstances are.

Lelouch was in a very different state of mind during that moment in season one (spoiler[he was visibly angered by Euphemia's announcement at the end of Stage 21, which made him try to sabotage the Special Zone because he saw it as both a foolish move and a threat, and didn't really decide to join her for real until both of them talked]), as opposed to his current one right now.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Oh, the decision itself is not new at all, but I do think the circumstances are.

Lelouch was in a very different state of mind during that moment in season one (spoiler[he was visibly angered by Euphemia's announcement at the end of Stage 21, which made him try to sabotage the Special Zone because he saw it as both a foolish move and a threat, and didn't really decide to join her for real until both of them talked]), as opposed to his current one right now.

True, I think the real question regarding this situation (that is if you haven't already watched it all) is if this similarity is foreshadowing anything that is to come. If it is then it could be foreshadowing Nunnally's death, or something bad like that. But that's just an observation on my side. I tend of over think things like that.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
0_o;;;;;;;

That's one HELL of a legal loophole...

And what exactly WAS up with Cecile's outfit? It concealed absolutely nothing except the, uhhh... "bulls-eye".
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[REMEMBER, REMEMBER, THE 5TH OF NOVEMBER! Surprised Laughing

Hell, even that dog was wearing that Zero mask! And with that, Zero and the Order of the Black Knights can pretty much do anything they want and have the assurance that Nunnally will be safe.]
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
0_o;;;;;;;

Seriously. I know that Code Geass likes to bend reality, but that part was too much.

BellosTheMighty wrote:
And what exactly WAS up with Cecile's outfit? It concealed absolutely nothing except the, uhhh... "bulls-eye".

And that's been my biggest complaint so far. The fanservice in this 2nd season makes my eyes roll on a regular basis. Like when Shirley came out of the swimming pool in this last episode. Yeah, nice. Rolling Eyes
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I really liked that twist. You have to admit that you didn't see that coming. It was a little over the top, but you just have to take it for how it is other wise it's no fun. But that's the way it is with most anime. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens from here. It should be interesting.
farruinn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Seriously. I know that Code Geass likes to bend reality, but that part was too much.

The whole point was making the right decision. Legality wasn't really the main issue.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
braves wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

The whole point was making the right decision. Legality wasn't really the main issue.

This is true. Actually, now that I think of it, the whole thing was just a huge dog and pony show. Take 2 of the specially administrated zone had flopped with the public- noone signed up until Zero got involved. But at the same time, it carried enough symbolic weight that each side knew that the first one to open fire was the loser- the public would turn against them for a cowardly attack, and their cause would collapse. By flat-out refusing to have his people fire the first shot, Lelouche essentially took the civil order of Japan AND the dreams of both Euphemia and Nunnally hostage. If Suzaku ordered another massacre, there would never be peace in Area 11. Regardless of how ludicrous Lelouche's legal gambit was, Suzaku had to accept it and let him go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 60