• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
In the Japanese broadcast thread, someone said there are (untranslated) supplementals that indicate that the girl moved back to Britannia and tries to get back to the wall every night.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
You are mistaken. The pattern on the wall is a result of spoiler[Britannia's coverup operation.] [1] Specifically, everybody in the school except those who were on the student council spoiler[were moved back to Britannia.] Therefore, it is impossible for the girl to make any more marks. The single line requires an explanation that involves her being interrupted, but the episode already gives one that can entail interruption. There is no need to make wild guesses about supposed time limits to Lelouch's geass.

Also, can it with the pseudo-predictive leading comments. It warps the first time AS viewers' perception of the series.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
BES Null Core wrote:

Also, can it with the pseudo-predictive leading comments. It warps the first time AS viewers' perception of the series.

I don't see a problem. We're just tossing around speculation. No problem with that, as long as the spoiler tags are respected. Stuff that doesn't make sense is rejected as such.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
The comment was directed strictly to dtm42, who is not speculating. [1] He's presenting a specific but non-inevitable interpretation that, if accepted, spoiler[requires the viewer to conclude that the series later contradicts itself.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Assuming for argument's sake that she takes a ten-second break between scratching the two lines of the cross into the brick, and she makes a cross once every school day, then that is fifty seconds out of every 604,800 in a week. Therefore, I postulate that the chance that she was interrupted in this short amount of time is 604,800/50=12,096, or 1 in 12,096. Those odds are pretty good if you were playing Lotto, but not so good for trying to base an argument on an event (a very unlikely event).

Of course, my mathematical knowledge isn't great, and my assumptions may have been wrong. But you have to admit, even if I stuffed up the calculations, the odds that she was interrupted and interned while between scratches (especially while under the power of Geass) is very slim.

Therefore, it is not unreasonable (for someone who has just watched that scene) to think that her stopping the scratches has something to do with Geass having a time limit. I mean, why even include that scene if it wasn't supposed to mean something? Red herring? Could be, but until a person knows better they are likely to go for what they've been given.

So why did I bring it up, knowing what I know? Because I thought it a legitimate point for discussion, and something that a person who has not watched the entire series yet might find interesting. In fact, even someone like myself is still thinking about it, pondering if it was a hint to a sub-plot that the writers never got around to addressing. Anyway, I did not present anything as fact, I merely asked non-questions. I was not in any way attempting to confuse or mislead people. I don't know how anyone got that idea.
zhir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
How do you know she doesn't just make half of the symbol a day? I agree with BES though, this thread isn't really the appropriate place for speculation from people who've seen the whole show.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
How do you know she doesn't just make half of the symbol a day? I agree with BES though, this thread isn't really the appropriate place for speculation from people who've seen the whole show.

We could consult previous episodes if we really wanted to know, but I believe she only made one line a day.
freezespell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Before I start talking about this week's episode, I have to speak up on something. Somehow, I don't quite get this whole Turn 1, Turn 2, Turn 3, etc. When I think of that and say it out loud, for a split second, it makes me think more about NASCAR instead of this show since I hear a lot about drivers coming out of Turn 4 during a race. I would like to think that someone on the creative team is a big racing fan to call the episodes "turns" for this season. Now that we're at Turn 5, we're coming up on road course territory.

Anyway, back to this week's episode. I wonder what Lelouch will do now that he knows that spoiler[Nunnally is the new Viceroy of Area 11?] I can't wait to see that play out.

Also, does Suzaku really think that spoiler[he can free his people by becoming the Knight of One? If he achieves that goal, he will be able to govern any area he chooses but the Elevens will still be under Britannian rule. While his intentions are good, it will do nothing to truly give the Elevens their independence. What an idiot.]
zhir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain that "turns" refer to how twisty the plot is.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
zhir wrote:

We could consult previous episodes if we really wanted to know, but I believe she only made one line a day.

She was first seen making the mark in episode 5 of S1, and she is shown making another in episode 8. In both occasions, she is shown making only the vertical line. There should be at least another shot where she was in a costume, but I can't remember which episode had the shot. Pending further evidence, it looks like she could be drawing either one or two lines.

For the rest of the post, I will continue to assume that she makes two lines per day.
dtm42 wrote:
Of course, my mathematical knowledge isn't great, and my assumptions may have been wrong. But you have to admit, even if I stuffed up the calculations, the odds that she was interrupted and interned while between scratches (especially while under the power of Geass) is very slim.

The last mark on the wall is only half of the cross. Therefore, the act of vandalism was interrupted during the time period between the first and second lines. Any explanation put forth must therefore include an interruption. The probability of any of events of the proposed explanation occurring is P(0), where P(0) is the ratio of the time interval between making the two lines and the average time interval between two marks. The explanations are equally likely--or unlikely, if you prefer.

The alternative, of course, is that Lelouch's geass has an instance limit rather than a time limit. This is false, because it is obvious from the fact that the student walks away while under the effect of geass that Lelouch's instructions contained more than simply making the marks. She stopped in the middle of instance i, not between i and i+1. Therefore, Lelouch's geass does not wear off after i executions.

Quote:
spoiler[In fact, even someone like myself is still thinking about it, pondering if it was a hint to a sub-plot that the writers never got around to addressing.]

I suggest you stop thinking about it. All other limitations of Lelouch's geass were either discovered at the moment of consequence (spoiler[behaves like visible light and once per person]) or explicitly denoted before failure (spoiler[grows out of control]).

Quote:
Anyway, I did not present anything as fact, I merely asked non-questions. I was not in any way attempting to confuse or mislead people. I don't know how anyone got that idea.

"Geass has a time limit" is, by nature, a fact. What you mean is truth, and you did present your evaluation as truth.
dtm42 wrote:
There, that is a big hint that Geass does in fact have a time limit.

And, of course, at this point, there is the other possibility of one line per day as opposed to one cross per day to address. Keep that in mind when writing a reply.

zhir wrote:
I'm fairly certain that "turns" refer to how twisty the plot is.

I assumed that it refers to the turns in chess.

freezespell wrote:
Also, does Suzaku really think that spoiler[he can free his people by becoming the Knight of One? If he achieves that goal, he will be able to govern any area he chooses but the Elevens will still be under Britannian rule. While his intentions are good, it will do nothing to truly give the Elevens their independence. What an idiot.]

Suzaku never said he wanted spoiler[to help Japan regain independence.] His reason for spoiler[wanting to govern Area 11 was to protect its people and render it unnecessary for rebellions to occur.] There are multiple ways of achieving this goal, for example the following path: spoiler[gain rule of Area 11->relax discriminatory policies against 11s->demonstrate that the numbers are not inferior->Britannia changes its policy toward the numbers.] Idealistic, perhaps, but perfectly self-consistent. You cannot sustain the accusation that Suzaku is a hypocrite with that argument.

Last edited by BES Null Core on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Mmmm... not sure I really buy that.

I'm not arguing that it was ever a good idea, just that it happens. Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote
Using YouTube, I went back to episode five of season one to find out once and for all. The answer? We cannot know for sure whether it was one line or two (per day). We only see the girl finishing off a cross then leaving (so not starting one), so it could be either.

So unless anyone can find another instance which shows us for sure (I don't think one exists), I concede that it will never be settled. Because of that, without further ado I'm dropping the matter. Arguing a case based on assumptions that are not known and that cannot be proven...well let's just say I've had enough of pure-hypotheticals.

Later.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to make sure I said Fanservice does not offend me. It just is. Also, I realized later on, with the development at the end, that spoiler[ Zero and Nunnally will now have to be enemies, since his goal is to free Japan from britannia and she is a brittanian noble, and now the viceroy of japan. We already know, however, that Nunnally is more important then Japans liberation to him. Now at least he will know where she is ! Now he has to get her back. Maybe he should quit being Zero, since he now has the ability to control a lot of whats going on, seeing as how he is Nunnally's sister. I still wonder what happened to cornelia, I wonder if they changed her into some weird brainwashed guy like they did to that Jeremiah guy, AKA Orange boy. ] What was with C2's outfit, i had a feeling I had seen those ear pieces before, angelic layer or ?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
What was with C2's outfit, i had a feeling I had seen those ear pieces before, angelic layer or ?

Does this ring a bell?

She's from Negima!, and is called Chachamaru Karakuri. However, given the fact that the look of the cast of Negima! is largely ripped off other series, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another robot girl who was the first of this design.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
The earpieces were a reference to Chachamaru of Negima. Shirley's costume is supposed to be a reference to Mikuru of Haruhi, though that one I do not see.

As far as I know, Multi of To Heart was the first anime character to sport green hair and robot antennae, but as you can see, C.C.'s design is much closer to Chachamaru's than Multi's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 60