• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop
vs.
Alucard, Hellsing franchise

Spike Spiegel is my choice. I am not familiar with Cowboy Bebop, but I'm familiar with Hellsing and Alucard while is a badass, he is too one-dimensial and therefore boring. I have heard a lot of good things about CB and Spike since I have become interested in anime, so it's a no-brainer.

Group D-30
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Kamina seems to have the sort of brash personality that I dislike and it doesn't seem that he is anything exceptional. My vote goes to Motoko Kusanagi.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Staying with Spike - the boy may be lazy quite often, a slob, but even in doing those things...he is C O O L! Hell, even his spoiler[death] was cool.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Quite honestly, I can't stand Kamina. Loud, obnoxious and dies in the first few episodes. Admittedly, Gai from Nadesico does the same thing and has a similar influence over the rest of the cast but Gai was okay...Kamina...yuck.

Besides, I like Makoto - she's strong, tough, and Cool.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Spike Spiegel. The perfect combination of casual badassery, coolness and depth, I'd have absolutely no problem with Spike winning it all. Alucard is no slouch, but his tremendous arrogance and near god mode hax abilities work against him in this match up.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Motoko Kusanagi. The Major's stone cold professionalism, leadership ability and peerless skill triumph over even Kamina's abundance of hot blood, attitude and unwavering confidence.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Spike

Tough call. Both have their merits, both have style and I guess it's not about Alucard not being as cool or whatever. I could never relate to him as a character, and a very subjective vote it will be. And it will go to Spike.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann[/quote]

Motoko Kusanagi

Motoko is a strong-willed, confident, highly skilled and uber charismatic soldier. She manifests both physical strength (in one of the episodes of SAC she takes down a soldier in a massive suit of armor) and intelligence. And not purly because she is a cyborg- there are many cyborgs out there in GiTS Japan, but somehow she manages to overpower the all. Motoko is where she is thanks to incredible determination, thanks to which she mastered moving around in a body that is not her own, and her fearless attitude and selflessness is what ultimately makes her a winner for me in that match-up.

classicalzawa mentioned Kusanagi's clothes, and there is a reason for her wearing what she does. It's a reaffirmation of (whatever was left of) her femininity. Even as a cyborg with no human body to return to, Major likes feeling like a woman.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29
Voting for: Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop

While I admittedly did not really like Bebop all that much when I saw it a few years ago, I still have no trouble voting for Spike. He really is just the quintessential cool anime character and I really don't see myself voting for anyone over him.

And I didn't like Hellsing either, for that matter.

Group D-30
Voting for: Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise

I have about the same level of knowledge about both these characters and the Major just fits my personal definition of "cool" better than Kamina, at least going by what I've heard about them.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29
Spike Spiegel, Cowboy Bebop vs
Choosing: Spike
Because Both are fantastically stylish characters with top-notch combat prowess, but Alucard's enjoyment of battle is just a touch creepy at times, while Spike is very rarely riled out of his relaxed aura.

Group D-30
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann
Choosing: Motoko
Because Kamina is tough enough to be here, but rather than cool, he's more often hotblooded or zany.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Under the terms of the tournament this is an interesting match-up but, for me, it’s pretty straightforward. Spike is the pin-up boy of the character type. Although the series relies enormously on Yoko Kanno’s amazing music to create it’s cool vibe and, even though Spike isn’t highly regarded in his own world (with some notable exceptions), it’s our reaction that really matters here. It’s a measure of Cowboy Bebop’s success that a loser like Spike can be so endearing.

Alucard is a vampire and, to me, that puts him at a significant disadvantage. 1. Being bad-ass is altogether too easy for them. 2. Like others of his ilk, he is remote and therefore difficult to engage with. 3. The writers of the show rely on excess to milk entertainment from him – I find that tiresome. 4. Most importantly, he is consistently upstaged by, in my reckoning, another character in the series – Integra Hellsing.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

As a couple of others have pointed out here, I have also been deterred by the way Motoko is so often portrayed as a cyber hooker. It’s not enough to rule her out against the tiresome and bombastic Kamina. Despite her appearance neither she nor the show’s producers hit us over the head to convince us how amazingly cool she really is, unlike Kamina who seems to try way too hard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well Dang. Looks like Spike is going to completely shut-out Alucard! Not what I was expecting, though his win certainly was anticipated. Kinda sad though; Alucard's pretty awesome so It's kind of painful to see him get trashed so bad. The virtually inevitable match of Matoko vs Spike should be more even. Should be interesting =)
mow123

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Aculard is the king of cool ans style as far as vampires go, but against Spike Aculard has had his final nail coffin put in. Spike is also a quality character, and while both show rely heavily on cool, style and snaziness it seems more natural with Spike and somewhat forced with Aculard.

errinundra also makes a good point Aculard is outshines by Integra and no one ever comes close to outshining Spike. I think the reason why Spike is shutting out Aculard is not because of his strength as a contender but that both characters are a similar flavor of cool and this make them easy to compare. That being said, I believe Aculard would probably be dominating Kamina with about 80% or more of the votes, but alas that's did not happen.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Unlike the other match, this isn't a contest Kamina is many things, but cool isn't one of the first thing who comes to mind. He's hotblooded, bold, and confident, but he's also arrogant, simple minded, and at the very least a minor chauvinist. Motoko on the other hand is a well oil machine of cool, that has a strong will, and equally strong mind that should be strong enough to steal some votes from Spike next round. Does she have what it takes to dethrone Spike? Probably not, but I wouldn't be shocked if the match was somewhat close mainly because she has many thing Spike lacks such as stoic professionalism and well executed precision in everything that she does. Spike is a slacker, and Motoko is the top of her class. Will swagger and style beat brains, insanely cool execution, professionalism and an unbreakable willpower? The next Group D will be interesting to say the least.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
D-29 - Alucard
Don't really think Spike is that cool. Well, except perhaps towards the very end of the series. While Alucard on the, other hand, is just so brutal and invincible that he easily incites the excitement that uncool characters don't usually do; for example, Spike didn't.

D-30 - Kamina
Kusanagi keeps too many secrets (which is in a way, favorable in this tournament) but I don't like the way she can't express herself. I also found her character rather shallow, and most of what I know about her is assumptions provoked by the little they've shown. While Kamina is outspoken and more of an inspiration for other characters including Simon who eventually outdone his coolness [but couldn't erase his lack of coolness in the past nonetheless].

Oh, next Group D is gonna be so fun...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
I guess both my choices share that same attribute that I find so cool. That outer facade that says they just don't care- they do what has to be done, for money or because of orders. But really they're both inwardly troubled and in in the end both strive to do what's right even if it goes against their original goal.

Group D-29
vs.

VOTING FOR: Spike Spiegel
the slower episode, "Waltz for Venus" may be Spike's best argument for coolness. Not for being a badass, but for being cool. It's his go with the flow stlye of life and fighting that's being taught here, plus he proves to do what is fair and right, while losing a bit of a payday while asking for no thanks.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

VOTING FOR: Motoko Kusanagi
My main argument for Motoko is what I said in the paragraph at the top. Kamina's bombast and foolhardiness has it's place and he's definitely cool for it, but also impractical and reckless and for all his boasting he knows the less "cool" Simon is what the team needs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Spike is pretty cool whether on foot or in space with his Swordfish II fighter. He is able to use sleight of hand and martial arts seemliness whether seriously or just for fun. This is very apparent in episode one when he pilfers food off Katrina and his encounter with Electra Ovilo in the movie.

My vote goes to: Spike Spiegel.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

I have nothing against the The Major but it seems that the team falls apart without her. Meanwhile with Kamina, he is able to inspire those around him. Whether that spirit channels those to steal their own Gunmen or being the light in the dark when Simon is spoiler[in the fake reality during the battle against the Anti-Spirals]. Even though he spoiler[dies early in the series], his charisma and spirit lives on through Simon and Team Gurren/Team Dai-Gurren.

My vote goes to: Kamina.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Wow. Big matchup here. Both characters are super cool and badass as well. Even though you'd think this decision would be a hard one to make, as others have already shown, it is not in the slightest. Even with Alucard's impressive skills and certainly a unique brand of coolness, he still can't matchup to Spike. Spike transcends all levels of anime cool and badassness. He easily wins here and should, in my opinion, easily win the whole thing.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

This choice is way easier. The Major has soooo much more depth and interesting parts of her personality than Kamina. Kamina is so brash in the way he goes about things. He acts cool all the time, but never really stops and thinks about what he's doing. It just so happens to all work out in the end. The Major is exact the opposite in her preparation. She thinks things through, and comes up with a solid plan before her team acts. The Major is on a totally different level of cool and badassery.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Group D-29
vs.

Voting for: Alucard

Like others have already mentioned, this is an interesting match. They're two very different kinds of characters and represent different approaches to coolness. Alucard is quite simply the most powerful vampire and openly enjoys doing what he does with plenty of style to boot. Spike is more of a reserved and melancholic individual, deep down, but usually manages to come across as both calm and extremely dangerous whenever the situation calls for it...without losing his sense of humor in the process. At the end of the day, either of these two fellows would be perfectly valid picks but Alucard, in my humble opinion, deserves a little more recognition than Spike here, as opposed to being completely squashed despite his far from insignificant credentials. He may be a weaker character in terms of depth but he's still extremely cool.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Voting for: Motoko Kusanagi

Going by all the jabs I've thrown at Kamina, despite grudgingly voting for him a few times, this one is certainly a foregone conclusion for me. Yes, he is very brave, undeniably badass, capable of great acts of heroism and inspiring others...but Kamina was a character that I had to struggle to like because of his being so dense and bull-headed. Quite a fitting match for the overarching theme of Gurren Lagann, perhaps, but in terms of coolness that makes him lose points. Honestly, I've always been more of a fan of Simon, despite his unfortunate performance in this contest. As for the alternative, Motoko Kusanagi may inspire less people, strictly speaking, but she simultaneously managed to be a badass cyborg, an intelligent operative and a strong character without annoying me so much. The choice was easy.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
In case this ends up being the last official votes, I just want to state, for the record, that I'm casting these before doing any tallying. (Geez, this is two weeks in a row that I have voted at the last minute. Don't think I've ever done that before. . .)

Group D-29
vs.

Spike will win this one - and I think he should - but Alucard is just too cool a cat, and with too much style, to deserve an ignominious defeat. I'm presuming that this is more a sympathy vote and may reconsider if the tally proves otherwise.

Group D-30
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Tough choice, and the one that has kept me from voting earlier. The Major has a lot of merits, but I give Kamina the edge on style points and more outwardly radiating a cool factor. He set such a high standard for cool in his world that others struggled to follow after he was gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 53