• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Ouran High School Host Club Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:
I think they made a mistake with this one, I don't think having him as Tamaki will help Ouran in the long one, it might even chase away some of the more devoted fans. I hope not, but it is a possiblity.

I doubt some of the die hard fans won't buy the series just because Vic is Tamaki. After all, one is not required to listen to the dub track.

I already know of a few fans who would have bought it but won't touch it now because Vic is Tamaki. One of my friends is going to order the singles from Japan now because she is so disgusted with the voice actor choice. I on the other hand can not speak Japanese and need the English sub option at least.
Megsee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
I already know of a few fans who would have bought it but won't touch it now because Vic is Tamaki. One of my friends is going to order the singles from Japan now because she is so disgusted with the voice actor choice. I on the other hand can not speak Japanese and need the English sub option at least.

Please tell me they realize that it's just a DVD. Rolling Eyes
They can't catch some kind of disease just because a certain voice actor is playing a certain role. That kind of overreaction is just...I'm at a loss for words for just how idiotic that is...
Mistress9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Megsee wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:

Please tell me they realize that it's just a DVD. Rolling Eyes
They can't catch some kind of disease just because a certain voice actor is playing a certain role. That kind of overreaction is just...I'm at a loss for words for just how idiotic that is...

What can I say they are really against him being Tamaki, I personally think that they really should just buy them and do what I am doing and just watch it in Sub's. Though I will possibly give the dub a chance, I always give dubs a chance but I am reluctant with this one, and not just because Vic is Tamaki but also well I am not sure if you guys know this but they re-did Sakura kiss in English and it is horrid, I don't even think its translated right, which is making me worry about the dub translations as well. Don't get me wrong I will buy Ouran no matter what because it is my favorite and I need to own it, but if they are going to translate the OP wrong, how can we have faith they will translate the rest of the dub right? And OMG what if they mess with the twincest, I am seriously starting to freak out. Then again the Funi guy at Sakura con this year promised me that it will be uncut and that they won't mess with the twincest, but well I don't understand why they even are going to put an english OP for the dub anyways. It's just plain silly and it makes me wonder if they are doing it to bring younger fans to the serious who may not want to deal with subtitles at all, so it makes me wonder if in that case if the dub will be cut, and it will be bye bye 'brotherly' love. However, I am hoping Funi proves me wrong, and I just end up thinking that the OP sucks but the rest of the dub is awesome.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:

I always give dubs a chance but I am reluctant with this one, and not just because Vic is Tamaki but also well I am not sure if you guys know this but they re-did Sakura kiss in English and it is horrid, I don't even think its translated right, which is making me worry about the dub translations as well. Don't get me wrong I will buy Ouran no matter what because it is my favorite and I need to own it, but if they are going to translate the OP wrong, how can we have faith they will translate the rest of the dub right? And OMG what if they mess with the twincest, I am seriously starting to freak out. Then again the Funi guy at Sakura con this year promised me that it will be uncut and that they won't mess with the twincest, but well I don't understand why they even are going to put an english OP for the dub anyways. It's just plain silly and it makes me wonder if they are doing it to bring younger fans to the serious who may not want to deal with subtitles at all, so it makes me wonder if in that case if the dub will be cut, and it will be bye bye 'brotherly' love. However, I am hoping Funi proves me wrong, and I just end up thinking that the OP sucks but the rest of the dub is awesome.

First of all, when was it announced that Sakura Kiss would be dubbed? There's an unofficial English version performed by Cristina Vee, but I haven't heard any news about Funimation recording their own dub.

And even if they did, songs have to be translated and dubbed differently compared to spoken dialogue. A song dub will sound absolutely awful if it's written to fit word for word with a direct translation of the Japanese. Lyrics have to be rewritten to maintain meter and rhyme scheme while still preserving the overall meaning of the original Japanese, and Funimation has actually gotten quite good at this recently. At any rate, you can't use the quality of a songdub translation to evaluate the rest of the dub, because adapting songs is completely different from adapting dialogue.

And as for why they would dub the song in the first place, well, maybe it's because some of us actually ENJOY hearing English versions of anime theme songs. Honestly, I don't see how dubbing the songs is anymore silly than dubbing the dialogue. Besides, it's a DVD, so if you don't like how the song turned out, you can always just press a button to switch over to Japanese.
Mistress9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:

I always give dubs a chance but I am reluctant with this one, and not just because Vic is Tamaki but also well I am not sure if you guys know this but they re-did Sakura kiss in English and it is horrid, I don't even think its translated right, which is making me worry about the dub translations as well. Don't get me wrong I will buy Ouran no matter what because it is my favorite and I need to own it, but if they are going to translate the OP wrong, how can we have faith they will translate the rest of the dub right? And OMG what if they mess with the twincest, I am seriously starting to freak out. Then again the Funi guy at Sakura con this year promised me that it will be uncut and that they won't mess with the twincest, but well I don't understand why they even are going to put an english OP for the dub anyways. It's just plain silly and it makes me wonder if they are doing it to bring younger fans to the serious who may not want to deal with subtitles at all, so it makes me wonder if in that case if the dub will be cut, and it will be bye bye 'brotherly' love. However, I am hoping Funi proves me wrong, and I just end up thinking that the OP sucks but the rest of the dub is awesome.

First of all, when was it announced that Sakura Kiss would be dubbed? There's an unofficial English version performed by Cristina Vee, but I haven't heard any news about Funimation recording their own dub.

And even if they did, songs have to be translated and dubbed differently compared to spoken dialogue. A song dub will sound absolutely awful if it's written to fit word for word with a direct translation of the Japanese. Lyrics have to be rewritten to maintain meter and rhyme scheme while still preserving the overall meaning of the original Japanese, and Funimation has actually gotten quite good at this recently. At any rate, you can't use the quality of a songdub translation to evaluate the rest of the dub, because adapting songs is completely different from adapting dialogue.

And as for why they would dub the song in the first place, well, maybe it's because some of us actually ENJOY hearing English versions of anime theme songs. Honestly, I don't see how dubbing the songs is anymore silly than dubbing the dialogue. Besides, it's a DVD, so if you don't like how the song turned out, you can always just press a button to switch over to Japanese.

Then why would they release it and play it at their panel if they were not going to use it? That would be silly. As for the translations, if the song doesn't work well in English then why translate the lyrics into English to begin with, why not just leave it in Japanese, I don't understand why song's have to be translated now a days anyways. They have plenty of animes that have Dubs that have Japanese OP'S...And if you like that kind of screechy horrid out of tune singing which is just basically butchering the orginal OP then fine, but I don't understand why all people who want to try and give the dub a chance (which I said I always do) have to endure that horror, why didn't they just leave it alone.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
As for the translations, if the song doesn't work well in English then why translate the lyrics into English to begin with, why not just leave it in Japanese, I don't understand why song's have to be translated now a days anyways. They have plenty of animes that have Dubs that have Japanese OP'S...And if you like that kind of screechy horrid out of tune singing which is just basically butchering the orginal OP then fine, but I don't understand why all people who want to try and give the dub a chance (which I said I always do) have to endure that horror, why didn't they just leave it alone.

Because the songs DO work well in English if they're adapted correctly. The songs don't HAVE to be dubbed but Funimation does it anyway because they know a lot of people enjoy hearing them. But like I said, if you don't want to hear the song, you can just press a button to switch it to Japanese, then once the show starts up, you can just press the same button to switch back over to the English track. No one who wants to give the dub a chance has to endure anything, unless you consider having to press a button on the remote some form of grueling torture.
Mistress9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:
As for the translations, if the song doesn't work well in English then why translate the lyrics into English to begin with, why not just leave it in Japanese, I don't understand why song's have to be translated now a days anyways. They have plenty of animes that have Dubs that have Japanese OP'S...And if you like that kind of screechy horrid out of tune singing which is just basically butchering the orginal OP then fine, but I don't understand why all people who want to try and give the dub a chance (which I said I always do) have to endure that horror, why didn't they just leave it alone.

Because the songs DO work well in English if they're adapted correctly. The songs don't HAVE to be dubbed but Funimation does it anyway because they know a lot of people enjoy hearing them. But like I said, if you don't want to hear the song, you can just press a button to switch it to Japanese, then once the show starts up, you can just press the same button to switch back over to the English track. No one who wants to give the dub a chance has to endure anything, unless you consider having to press a button on the remote some form of grueling torture.

Except I just finished saying in two different posts that all though I am relucant I will be giving the dub a chance, but you keep going on about how if I don't want to be tortured I can just switch it to the sub, but if I want to watch it in English (once again saying I will watch at least the first eppy in English) then how will switching it to Japanse solve the problem of having to listen to that horrid excuse of an OP??

Now you do have a Good point about some English OP's being good, I actually like Wind from Naruto and I like the English version of the Fruba Opening. With that said, you were saying it works if its a good translation or addaption, and that song does not work well, its horrid the translation is off, and well parts of it doesn't even make sense. Now If they re-recorded it and had it so that the song actually matched the orginal better then I might like it.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:

Except I just finished saying in two different posts that all though I am relucant I will be giving the dub a chance, but you keep going on about how if I don't want to be tortured I can just switch it to the sub, but if I want to watch it in English (once again saying I will watch at least the first eppy in English) then how will switching it to Japanse solve the problem of having to listen to that horrid excuse of an OP??

*sigh* Because as I said twice already, you can still listen to the first episode dubbed by just switching to the English track once the opening song is over. If you don't want to hear the song, turn on the Japanese track, skip to the next chapter on the DVD, press the mute button, or just hum really loudly to yourself until it's over, and then go back and listen to the rest of the episode in English. You'll still be watching the episode itself dubbed, you just won't have to hear the opening song.

If you want to give the dub a chance, you can easily do that without having to subject yourself to the song.
animegirl239

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
wow Tamaki is gonna suck...i am definley not watching dub.
also cause Cailtin Glass is Haruhi...
Mistress9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:

*sigh* Because as I said twice already, you can still listen to the first episode dubbed by just switching to the English track once the opening song is over. If you don't want to hear the song, turn on the Japanese track, skip to the next chapter on the DVD, press the mute button, or just hum really loudly to yourself until it's over, and then go back and listen to the rest of the episode in English. You'll still be watching the episode itself dubbed, you just won't have to hear the opening song.

If you want to give the dub a chance, you can easily do that without having to subject yourself to the song.

But I shouldn't have to do that to begin with. They should have either dubbed it good, or just left it alone. Anyways I see you and I will never agree on this so lets agree to disagree. Laughing
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I said the negative feedback was few and far-between in my original post, but now I stand corrected...

So, to counter all the negative brouhaha.

I am OVERWHELMINGLY excited about this dub. It looks like they really love the show as much as the fans and are taking the utmost care with it. I haven't heard a dubbed theme song in a long time, and while I am USUALLY against the idea in TV broadcasts, seeing as how I can switch the language back and forth at my choosing, I am happy that there will be a dubbed theme too.

Vic Mignogna, regardless of high voice register and tendency to get a lot of roles, is an unusually talented voice actor who appears to be as snuggly with this part as he was with his fave, Ed from FMA, and I have no doubt he will blow it out of the water because he cares about the part, and is cast frequently because people KNOW he cares about the parts he plays, even if he doesn't possess the Steve Blum/Mel Blanc syndrome that some people think defines a voice actor. If you have one voice that works well, you don't need two dozen average-sounding cartoony ones. (Although Steve Blum has several dozen really awesome ones, which is different.)

YAY, Ouran Host Club, and yay, Funi! Thank you for making anime accessible to people through QUALITY dubs so more fans can get into anime. (That's a big plus to dubbing, you know. Most of my friends who are fans never would be if it weren't for good dubs.)

And I'm not putting the cart before the horse when I say Ouran's dub will be good. You have a director who says it's her favorite series and a cast full of very good actors, not just "stock favorites," as I've seen some companies take that approach with some shows. Funi is also guilty of that, but this show looks like it will be very well put together.
puffy_flower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm really dying to see how good/badly they can do the voices...Very Happy

I'll admit though...It'll be a bit er...odd to see the dub because someone else that I spoke to...pointed out that A LOT of the cast was on Fullmetal Alchemist...much more that the 3 people that I noticed.
It's kind of weird to recognize the voices like that when watching, but it does make me want to see it even more than before.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Vic Mignogna flack, in addition to his Ed (which I thought was phenomenal), I've also heard him so far as Peacemaker's harried Tatsu and Tactics' largely comic relief Sugino, as well as his Fai in the Tsubasa movie (in which he had very little to do compared to what I imagine he'll have in the complete series, let alone the spectacular material he'll get if the OVA gets licensed and it remained anything resembling faithful to the manga, which from what I've read it apparently did). I can safely say that in none of those three cases did I ever think "Oh wow, that's Ed."

It's really sad if the guy is expected to never play another character because he ironically did too good a job with Ed. If the more fanatic Ed fans really get that bad, they'll just have to be slammed down a bit until they get the message that not only the characters but the series as well are apples and oranges. Give the poor guy a break. I think anyone who says they're now going to boycott the DVD is going way too far.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:

Tell them to watch the subtitles. Thats what I did with Initial D and Black Lagoon due to poor casting choices (Black Lagoon's Dutch was horrible) and music wise (DJ Milky's mid-life crisis music vs. Eurobeat. Gee, wonder which one is better?)
Megsee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who also noticed the Ouran site before and how the counter had restarted, you'll be happy to know that it HAS been fixed with a video from the announcement panel.

Mike McFarland in a dress...now I've seen everything...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6