• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Not so likable protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
There is no difference to speak of in my opinion.

On the contrary, there is a great deal of difference. It has already been touched upon by DerekTheRed's post on page three.
DerekTheRed wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching him too. Kanta ia always good for a laugh. When I made this post, I was under the impression that we were looking for protagonists who weren't exactly in the running for the Lady Byng. The bottom line is he is not a good person, which at the time I thought fit the thread. Though it appears that we've gone more towards "Shinji whines too much, so I don't like him."

To use a better known example, consider Lina Inverse of Slayers. In trivial matters, she is selfish, loud, greedy, violent, and irresponsible. In the first episode, she spoiler[destroys a village to slay a dragon, not because it needed to be defeated but because it turned away from her and confirmed her nickname of "dragon spooker."] However, the consequence was trivialized. Instead of showing the consequence as it would have been in reality--which would be that spoiler[the village lies in ruins; many are dead or dying amidst the rubbles; others are incinerated in the blast; and the survivors are grieving for their lost friends and homes]--we are treated to a mob of angry but only slightly singed villagers chasing Lina and Gourry out of the village with pitchforks and shovels. The graveness of the situation--and her character flaws--is trivialized for the purpose of comedy. Very few strange people would dislike Lina Inverse because of what transpired here.

On the reverse side, we have Luxa's passage.
Luxa wrote:
Arika from My-Otome. Her character just annoys me with her overly and I think falsely positive attitude. Having a high-pitched voice doesn't help either. (It is a bit strange, as I actually like Usagi from Sailor Moon.)

Hikaru from Magic Knight Rayearth. For exactly the same reasons as Arika above.

I claim that there is no internal justification within Magic Knight Rayearth to consider her attitude falsely positive. Therefore, I will consider Luxa's interpretation of Hikaru a personal feeling derived from the fact that a real person of her age and situation would not act in such a cheerful manner. Now, Luxa's problem with HIkaru can be paraphrased as follows.
"I do not like Hikaru because she is too cheerful in the face of adversity and unfamiliarity, which feels fake because it does not match how a normal teenager would behave."
This is a perfectly legitimate complaint against a character. It is the writer's responsibility to make sure that the plot does not violate the viewer's suspension of disbelief. Since the writers of MKR failed with regard to Luxa, he is entitled to dislike HIkaru. Now, suppose one were to say the following about an actual person.
"I do not like that girl because she is too cheerful in the face of adversity and unfamiliarity, which feels fake because it does not match how a normal teenager would behave."
How does that sound? I hope, for your sake, that your answer is "it sounds wrong." Therein lie two great differences between disliking a character and liking a character as a person. They are not always applicable, but the cases for which a difference exists are many.
x-tengentoppa-x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
well in the beginning of gurren lagann simon didn't seem like a good main character because he was over shadowed by kamina all the time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Here are the characters that come to my mind.

Hasaeo from .hack//Roots was just such a prick. He really was. I dont understand why everyone wanted to be his friend. He was mopey, self centered, easily angered, had a really bad temper, and when he wasnt angry he was pouty and whiney and just in general not a nice person to be around. I ended up totally not caring what happened to him at all by the end of the series.

Inaho from Master of Mosquiton
is possibly the most self centered whiney little brat I have ever seen. Her voice is high pitched and annoying, all she cares about is getting treasure and immortality and whatever, and she just grinds my nerves. I realise the series is supposed to be comedy and not meant to be taken seriously, but its just such a shame because Inaho to me was waaaayy over the top. she's always abusing Mosquiton, and she's a coward. I ended up really wishing that Mosquiton would actually rip her neck out instead of dying every time he went all "evil vampire". Would have served her right. Twat.

And lastly, Marron from Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne was... so.. stupid. As far as heroines go.. she pretty much fails. She almost never did the job right, constantly having the be rescued by Sinbad. She would always complain about what she had to do. "But in order to save the world I would have to destroy this painting, oh I cant do thaaaaaatt" whine whine whine. Stupid girl. I wanted to slap her silly and tell her to suck it up, princess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5