• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Ookubo will release an artbook soon. The grafitti aspect of his art is one of the best things about this series <3
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching 2

spoiler[Milfune was awesome, I think Kaori Nazuka's Tsubaki will work out better than a Mamiko Noto one would have. Animation is still very high and I liked the musical score for this episode better than the first but that may be because I was paying more attention to it.]

Can't wait for episode 3 XD
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Been camping from Friday morning to Sunday night and just got around to watching this last night. Massive style points. The fight scenes were cool enough that I almost wouldn't mind if this were a monster of the week series.
On the other hand, I'm with the people who think the flat-chest and big boob jokes will get tired fast, as will Soul's "I want to be a cool guy" shtick. Also, the shinigami noggin chop thing, four times in one episode? Already old. I did, however, like the scene where Death Scythe was in the cafe with the two ladies, and they were whispering back and forth in front of him.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first ep, and I must say that artistically Im very very impressed. I just love the over the top halloween style, I think its brilliant. Especially the Sun and the Moon, and how the normal world is this gothic dark place, and where Shinigami is all blue with stylized clouds. Very nice.

Personally I dont mind flat chest/big breast/lewd jokes, but the whole "I want to be cool" thing is really....uncool
Xicidal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
The manga is awesome. So far I like the show a lot too. I love the art style they used.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
I don't think i'll like it as much as Bleach, Naruto and One Piece, but it seems like the fight scenes will be really cool. Thats all I really need. As long as the fights look cool, I can tolerate everything being only decent. It will be cool if this show gets serious and has that one arc that Bleach and Naruto got where somehow it was like 20+ episodes of nonstop fighting that was all kick ass (Bleach = Soul Society Arc, Naruto = Forest of Death).

If we get something like that for Soul Eater, i'll be a fan. Those types of arcs are what made me fall in love with the other shows.
Xicidal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I don't think i'll like it as much as Bleach, Naruto and One Piece, but it seems like the fight scenes will be really cool. Thats all I really need. As long as the fights look cool, I can tolerate everything being only decent. It will be cool if this show gets serious and has that one arc that Bleach and Naruto got where somehow it was like 20+ episodes of nonstop fighting that was all kick ass (Bleach = Soul Society Arc, Naruto = Forest of Death).

If we get something like that for Soul Eater, i'll be a fan. Those types of arcs are what made me fall in love with the other shows.

I believe it will.. At one instant in the manga there was a like a 5 chapter battle. I've only read up to chapter 23. I think it 23 was the last chapter i read.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
^ spoiler[Was a 7 chapter battle, those 7 chapters being worth about 14 of Naruto/Bleach/One Piece since it's a monthly manga and is 40 pages per chapter as opposed to those 3s 20.]
pirates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've only read up to chapter 23.

Is it really up to 23?

They sure advance the plot too fast. Already showing ashura in the intro already.
I've got raws up to 31 Sad
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The manga is at 48.

The chapters are monthly, so a 1:1 chapter:episode ratio is a reasonable expectation.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Just watched episode two.

Meh .... the second episode was lame. Black Star = unbearably annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
countchocula86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
I agree with Jedi, episode 2 was not nearly as entertaining as ep 1. Black Star is too cliche, and its just boring. Mifune was cool at least, but that wasnt enough redemption.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
countchocula86 wrote:
Mifune was cool at least, but that wasnt enough redemption.

I agree. He was pretty cool, but it wasn't enough. Black Star had already dug too deep of a hole.

Today certainly wasn't a good day in regards to my opinion of the Spring season. Much of what I watched today was rather disappointing, with the exception being the first episode of Himitsu. That series actually surprised me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
Don't forget that these are prologue chapters which were written a year before the series started. Black Star/Tsubaki are just one of the three main pairs with Maka/Soul in the lead.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
If Black Star annoyed you this episode I can only really think of one little mini arc where he's as "annoying". Again only from 1-23 + one shots. He doesn't play as important role as Maka/Soul and Death the Kid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 26