• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
driverstart -

This is just a wild guess but...you work for Viz, yes?
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
driverstart -

This is just a wild guess but...you work for Viz, yes?

Nope, it does, however, seem like an interesting idea, but that's not my calling . I have might sights on working as a video game designer or somewhere in the video game industry. The reason I keep updating this Viz Signature Line thing is because two of my favorite mangas are in it and I since I started this topic, I got to keep going. I started something, I got to hang around until it's finished forever (As in the Signature Line dies out, which might happen at the end of next year if they don't add anymore new titles soon).
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But that's not the reason for this post, it's about another add I have seen in my copy of Monster, this time they are promoting Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga! Do you think they'll rerelease it into the Signature line, if they do, I'm buying myself a copy for sure!

It was printed under the Editor's Choice line (which was the Signature's predecessor and pretty much the exact same thing) about 2 (?) years ago and I almost always see a couple of volumes stocked in bookstores, so I wouldn't think so. The EC version is excellent, with good paper/ink quality, large pages and color posters in each volume, all of which are only 10 bucks, so if you haven't read it yet buy that edition. Its an all-time classic that any self-respecting fan should own. In related news Viz just released a Nausicaa artbook, which is top-notch.

Quote:
(As in the Signature Line dies out, which might happen at the end of next year if they don't add anymore new titles soon).

I too am disappointed Viz is being slow to license new titles for it, but they just announced Takehiko Inoue's REAL, which is an excellent drama series, as well as some of his art books. Plus when Monster ends they should be rolling out 20th Century Boys, which is really a better manga in every way, so they definitely aren't letting it die. I just hope Tekkon Kinkreet sold well enough to warrant similar licenses (I'd kill for Witches getting an omnibus release).
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I been during more of my normal searching for new titles to read and stuff when I discovered something great coming our way Signature Fans. If your a fan of Kazou Umezu then you'll be interested to know that Cat Eyed Boy has been licensed by Viz and will be appearing on selves in June 2008! I'm excited about this title since I'm a fan of Kazou Umezu.

Also, another story called One-Pound Gospel is appearing in June as well. I hear it has been written by the same author as Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku. I'm not sure if this is going to be a Signature title, but I bring it up since Maison Ikkoku is now about of the Signature so you never know. But I have my doubts about this one.

Breaking news! As mention by a person in a previous post, REAL by the same guy who made Vagabond has now an official date of release! It'll be coming out in July of next year. I'm sure this will be a Viz Signature title and if not, what would it be?

Here's the links to confirm this information I discovered (The links don't work anymore, don't bother checking them):

http://www.simonsays.com/content/ene/search.cfm?Ne=275&PID=523097&Nr=AND%28CP_IDENTIFIER%3aTITLES%29&tab=1&N=4294956941+4294917314&Ns=P_FORMATSORTGROUP%7c0%7c%7cCP_PUBDATEGAP%7c0

http://www.simonsays.com/content/ene/search.cfm?Ne=275&PID=523097&Nr=AND%28CP_IDENTIFIER%3aTITLES%29&tab=1&N=4294956941+4294917303&Ns=P_FORMATSORTGROUP%7c0%7c%7cCP_PUBDATEGAP%7c0

http://www.simonsays.com/content/ene/search.cfm?Ne=282&PID=523097&Nr=AND%28CP_IDENTIFIER%3aTITLES%29&tab=1&Ns=P_FORMATSORTGROUP%7c0%7c%7cCP_PUBDATEGAP%7c0&N=4294956941+4294917265

Last edited by driverstart on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems like we're finally getting a genuinely new title for the Signature line, with Cat Eyed Boy.

I think that One-Pound Gospel will be in the regular line, seeing as it was already released before, and that it's finally getting a (much-needed) second printing. I'm thinking that they're doing this due to the fact that the last volume will finally be released, since Rumiko Takahashi finally finished the actual series a while back. IMO, there is a possibility that we could see it in the Signature line, though we can't really tell at this point.

As for the current Signature titles, I had an opportunity to get the newest volumes of Monster & The Drifting Classroom last weekend, but I opted to get some LE/soon-to-be-OOP DVDS instead (Haruhi, Gankutsuou). It's going to be a long 4 months.
driverstart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I have more new news (I seem to be getting more of that recently with more of my research). Doing more of my research on the SimonSays website, I discover a brand new release due out in August of next year. Ladies and gentlemen, Black Lagoon the manga is going to be arriving on our shores!

Will this be a Viz Signature title? What else would it be if it isn't a Signature title? I heard the DVD series is could so I cannot wait to get a hold of the manga verison (I rather not waste my money on DVDs if the manga is in sight in the future). Here's a link! I'll keep you all updated!

http://www.simonsays.com/content/ene/search.cfm?Ne=282&PID=523097&Nr=AND%28CP_IDENTIFIER%3aTITLES%29&tab=1&Ns=P_FORMATSORTGROUP%7c0%7c%7cCP_PUBDATEGAP%7c0&N=4294956941+4294917316
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Happy new year everyone. I'ts time for the new annoucement on what will be being released this month in the Viz Signature line. Here is the only title coming out this month:

Gyo Vol. 2 (Second Edition): 1/15/08

This happens to be the last volume in this series as well so let's say good-bye to it... or not!
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Time to annouce the new titles coming out this month.

Feburary 19, 2008:

Golgo 13 Vol. 13 (It's the final volume)
Monster Vol. 13
The Drifting Classroom Vol. 10
Uzumaki Vol. 3 (It's the final volume)

Who's buying what this month? I will of course be buying Monster, The Drifting Classroom, the the last volume of Uzumaki.

Also take note that in April will feature the last volume of The Drifting Classroom, making Monster the last ongoing title in the Viz Signature series. I know they will be featuring Cat Eyed Boy Vol. 1 and 2 in June, the possibilty of Black Lagoon the manga in August, and finally 20th Century Boys next year, so this line is not out of material just yet.[/list]
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Time to annouce this month release in the Viz Signature line!

March 18, 2008 Releases:
Phoneix Vol. 12
Vagabond Vol. 27

This month is the final volume in the Phoenix series. Whose buying it?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm finally going to play catch-up on Monster and The Drifting Classroom this weekend, when I hit the mini-con in downtown Toronto.

Which reminds me, I still haven't gotten around to reading Vols. 9-10 of Monster yet. =/ I blame my school library for actually having manga to read. Anime hyper
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
Not quite caught up with Phoenix yet, so I'll be holding off on that one. Glad to see new Vagabond coming out though.
Its been posted before but not in this thread: Viz has licensed the manga Solanin, and I since this is the only place that it really fits I imagine it will come out under the signature label in this November. First off, everyone here needs to buy this because its incredible. How incredible? If we see five new titles that are better released in English this year I will be shocked. Secondly, its nice to see a fairly straightforward drama get included in the line. Not that I don't love genre manga like Drifting Classroom as much as anyone, but I was concerned that this would become the sole focus of the Signature Series. Right now there are three new Signature manga coming out in 2008 that I can think of, and two of them belong can't be classified as genre titles (REAL being the other one). Not a huge deal but its nice to see the line evolve and diversify as opposed to releasing only classic manga.
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Not quite caught up with Phoenix yet, so I'll be holding off on that one. Glad to see new Vagabond coming out though.
Its been posted before but not in this thread: Viz has licensed the manga Solanin, and I since this is the only place that it really fits I imagine it will come out under the signature label in this November. First off, everyone here needs to buy this because its incredible. How incredible? If we see five new titles that are better released in English this year I will be shocked. Secondly, its nice to see a fairly straightforward drama get included in the line. Not that I don't love genre manga like Drifting Classroom as much as anyone, but I was concerned that this would become the sole focus of the Signature Series. Right now there are three new Signature manga coming out in 2008 that I can think of, and two of them belong can't be classified as genre titles (REAL being the other one). Not a huge deal but its nice to see the line evolve and diversify as opposed to releasing only classic manga.

I have never heard of Solanin before, but since I'm always looking for new titles I might just pick it up. I'm picking up Cat Eyed Boy this June for sure and I might check out Real, but the real prize comes at the end of the summer with the manga release of Black Lagoon. I just got to check this title out!

Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I'm finally going to play catch-up on Monster and The Drifting Classroom this weekend, when I hit the mini-con in downtown Toronto.

Which reminds me, I still haven't gotten around to reading Vols. 9-10 of Monster yet. =/ I blame my school library for actually having manga to read.

Trust me on this, when you check up with these titles, you'll going to be very happy with the turn of events in them! Too bad The Drifting Classroom ends next month, it sure has build up a nice and exciting climax at the end of volume 10.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I have never heard of Solanin before, but since I'm always looking for new titles I might just pick it up. I'm picking up Cat Eyed Boy this June for sure and I might check out Real, but the real prize comes at the end of the summer with the manga release of Black Lagoon. I just got to check this title out!

I doubt Black Lagoon is going to be under the Signature banner. In terms of content and tone it's just different than what's been featured in the line thus far.
gdupninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Viz has a great line of manga and just wait till 20th century boys is released. Viz has had the lisence since 2005, the only reason its not being released is because Naoki Urasawa requested that it should be rescheduled to begin serialization after Monster finishes because of a change in art style.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
Well, this is April and it's time to annouced the releases this month in the Viz Signature line.

April 15, 2008:
The Drifting Classroom Vol. 11 (Final Volume!)
Monster Vol. 14

This month ends The Drifting Classroom series. I recently picked up both titles and I have say, they'll just didn't excite me like usual. The ending for The Drifting Classroom was good, but I was disappoint by the fact... sorry... can't tell you anything! That'll just release a huge spoiler and I'm not the type to spoil things. Also, this book had a bonus short horror story. It's was ok, not one of the best things I ever read though.

I also preordered Monster Vol. 15 and Cat Eyed Boy Vol. 1. That's not important, I just figure I tell you all.

Also, there is now only two titles still releasing currently in the Signature Line, Vagabond (Right? There is still more titles coming right?) and Monster. If it wasn't for Cat Eyed Boy coming in June, Real coming out this July, Solanin later this year, and 20th Century Boys next year, I say this Signature Line is good as dead. I think we deserve some more titles for this line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10