• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is OEL Manga Really Manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I am still not convinced, and I have not seen a definition of what makes a comic book "manga"*. How many kinetic lines should your panels have to be considered manga? How wide should the eyes of your characters be? And who should decide it? On what grounds?

If "comic" has a bad name, too bad for the comic industry.
If some cartoons want to call themselves "anime" because that might get people to watch them, that's their problem.

Also, "OEL" is a dumb name and a way of not saying "American manga" or "amerimanga" because, you know what? It has a bad reputation, too.

*Except "made in Japan".
Adamanto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
animation production side was based out of Japan, including the director, storyboard artists, character designers, art directors, and pretty much anyone else you can think of. Eunyoung Choi, the head of Science SARU, was one of the executive producers. It was certainly an international co-production, but no more or less than many other series universally regarded as "anime," including Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (which, hypocritically, lives happily in MAL's database). This wasn't some work-for-hire job like Batman: TAS or Tiny Toons back in the day.

It really was though. Unlike Cyberpunk, which was a Japanese production where the Japanese side was given very free reigns, Scott Pilgrim was full of westerners calling the shots and writing the scripts and in general producing a series for the west. The Japanese release and Japanese dub was really just an afterthought. As for why they did that, you touched upon that yourself:

Top Gun wrote:
Science SARU was explicitly part of the creative process, and it was marketed as an anime series from day one, and treated and reviewed as such right here on ANN.

Indeed, "it was marketed as an anime series from day one". Because they really, really wanted that label for marketing reasons.

Anime and manga were both meant to be words indicating that the works came from a specific country with a specific culture and a specific comic and cartoon industry with its own long-running traditions and market. It's not supposed to be some kind of badge of honor, you're not supposed to "want to create manga", and you're definitely not supposed to, as a western producer, try to figure out exactly how many Japanese people you need to hire in which positions in order to get to market your cartoon as "anime". That's just pathetic and oozes a lack of self respect.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:05 am Reply with quote
Also like 99% of the time when you talk to someone who doesn't know what manga is you have to explain it's a Japanese comic book anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5