• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Note (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I kind of like this one season anime original thing. I'm not saying I'd like every anime to be that way, but it's kind of light and refreshing to have everything wrapped up and ribboned without having to go on the internet to check out the prospects of a season 2..

I agree that the series was fun overall. I share Smurky's belief that it wasn't a huge success as a romantic comedy but stronger as a wacky ensemble piece.

The inconsistency of the art quality vexed me from beginning to end - is it that different members of an art team were in charge of different sections, and they didn't mesh well? How can the same studio draw a house and a street so beautifully and then draw a spaceship and a mecha that looks like something a sixth grader would draw?

Stone hearted hearted bastard that I am, I wouldn't have minded seeing Shoin go up in the flames of his exploding love hotel. I'm not sure that lying and manipulating the people who you claim to care about and being willing to see your entire world conquered so that you can force someone to let you out of the friend zone is something that should be shrugged off. But the series wasn't striving for realism or cold logic, and if it wanted everyone to have a happy ending except for the deep sea bass with boundary issues, I can admire that.

I do have some questions. What was that thing Bum-sempai found in the ruins he was digging around in? Did I forget something or miss a scene while I went to the fridge or the door or whatever?

And why didn't they call the show Astro Lodge instead of Astro Note?

Anyway, pretty much enjoyed it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

I had the same thought as Edjwald... er, I mean, Edjwald had the same thought as me about enjoying a one cours anime original that told a complete, satisfying story. I'm rating this as Good. I wasn't crazy about how the Aoi-san stuff was initially handled but I thought they left her in a good place despite what seemed like a flirtation with bestiality. I did half expect her to go to Wid with Not-Dog. I initially thought that the Hubby invasion fleet getting blasted seemed a bit harsh, but the credit sequence made clear that they ended up crashlanding and handily a multicycle was undamaged. As for Edjwald's questions:

1) I have no idea what that token Glasses found is, and,

2) Not real sure why the title is Astro Note instead of Astro Lodge but maybe because the old guy wrote his story in a notebook and they just dropped the book part?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
IWhat was that thing Bum-sempai found in the ruins he was digging around in? Did I forget something or miss a scene while I went to the fridge or the door or whatever?

I believe it was the royal symbol of Planet Wid. Mira had a pendant with that symbol on it that signaled to the lawyer lady that, according to Earth-Daddy's wishes, she should be allowed to take over the boarding house.

(I remember it because it reminds me of the "Stonecutters Symbol" from the Simpsons... which a group of friends then adopted as a symbol for an indie magazine they published.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Spas. Ummm...I mean, Minnow Smile If that's not right, it's a good enough guess that the question won't be itching at the back of my mind whenever I think about the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5