• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiju No. 8 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote

Although unsurprising, it's good to know the rest of the 3rd Company are not detestable ingrates. All of them have laughed at, lived with and fought together with Hibino Kafka that the final intervention was just the icing in a very elaborate cake he has baked together with them since he joined as a provisional cadet. They are more or less powerless in the face of military bureaucracy, but all of them want him alive and returned to their squad. They even gave him a guard of honour, which the vice-captain cleverly fudged to the unaware top brass as a salute to their respected Captain. Even the well-connected cadets (Kikoru and Aoi) pull in what favours they can to tip the balance towards Kafka.

Kafka now faces up to the consequences of divulging his big secret. Standing orders are that all numbered Kaiju like him have ended up one way or another as weapons for the next generation of anti-Kaiju soldiers, and Kafka is finding out the hard way just how big the leap in power is between regular anti-monster weapons and the "Numbered" specialties. Kikoru's father Isao clearly wants to finish the job himself because he cannot believe the reports and it would be easier for Kafka to revert to stereotype making the execution a much simpler affair.

Unfortunately using the "Numbered" weapon has triggered some kind of response in the drone which turned Kafka into No. 8 at the start. It's interesting the drone only took over operations when faced with "brethren" and with Kafka's human limiter clearly holding back performance. If it continues like this, there's no way back for Kafka so he needs to regain control somewhat and convince the supreme commander of his value as a human. Only way he can do that now is to subdue the supreme commander so that he can plead his case, which is easier said than done.

For the rest of the corps, Mina's orders that they separate and move to different companies ostensibly to train the next generation of cadets as recognised veterans has not gone down well. Rino is the only one who is receptive, but he has his own reasons for not objecting. For the others, they'll have to come to terms with it as military orders are absolute and disobeying is more than just a matter of military discipline. If Mina is right and some kind of large-scale operation is in play to test the anti-Kaiju soldiers' resiliency, then the faster they disperse to train and share their battle knowledge the better it is for everyone if/when the expected wave of attacks begins in earnest.

Regardless, next week's episode is the last of the quarter and for the adaptation. If it concludes the way it's expected to, then Mina's company splitting up is something to be covered in future adaptations as there's not enough time.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to see Kafka's former squadmates stick by him, it confirms that their time together meant something. As for the finale, I assume that Kafka will regain control somehow and show that he is indeed more worthwhile alive (plus more human than monster), that is basically the only way it ends with Kafka alive.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:31 pm Reply with quote
11:

I actually forgot how authoritative Shinomiya's father was. It was mentioned before but it slipped my mind that possibly he could be the key figure to decide what happens to Kafka.

Everything was according to what I predicted—Division 3 doing everything they could to save Kafka—until the Director-General decided to confront him. Kafka (and his division) can keep telling himself that he is Kafka and not a Kaiju as much as he likes, but the authority has a legit reason to doubt him as much too.

Kafka knows that he is himself, but that's just him saying what he already knows. Physiologically, he isn't human anymore. The heart is literally a Core. And now, out of self-preservation, he loses control of his own body (in fact, is it even his body anymore now?). So how much of himself can Kafka claim to be his own? It's a pretty straightforward question, but with philosophical roots.

So now we have final lingering questions, which I appreciate that the show is addressing. First, what is the Director-General planning to do? Does he simply want to kill Kafka, or is he pushing him to the limit to test Kafka's sense of humanity and self? Second, and most importantly, what was the purpose of that "Fly Kaiju" choosing Kafka to be Kaiju No. 8? It mentioned "found you (finally)" so apparently, Kafka wasn't chosen on a whim. Does it want Kafka to be the Kaiju's infiltrator (it did say "kill" to Kafka)? Or did it have something else in mind?

I love how the show addresses the second question and brings the story into a full circle. This was what set the story in motion in the first place.

P.S. I love how Kaiju No. 2 was a clear nod to Godzilla. This show is literally a homage to the Kaiju genre.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:51 am Reply with quote
I wound up watching Kaiju #8 and Tonari no Yokai back to back, and it occurred to me that the two shows are mirror images in a polar opposite kind of way, both excellent.

The tension driving Kaiju #8 revolves around an ordinary guy trying to embrace a dangerous profession, and his life becomes ramped up and freaky because of an extraordinary being. Tonari is about extraordinary beings who are surprisingly ordinary as they try to live mundane lives. Kaiju #8 is all dark or striking colors and crazy well animated. Tonari is all tans and pastels, basically drawn like a kid's show with mediocre animation. Kaiju #8 is mostly energetic and funny and basically optimistic despite its ravaged world and tense situations. Tonari is generally slow paced and melancholy despite the dangerous events that get injected into its plotlines.

Despite it's seemingly mundane, slice of life approach, I have a hard time predicting where Tonari no Yokai is going to go from episode to episode. I knew exactly where Kaiju #8 was going from episode two, and pretty much knew what time of the season it was going to get there. The anime came with plenty of road signs. And yet, it's a testament to how excellent Kaiju #8 is that I'm still completely invested. It's one of those shows where you know what's going to happen, but you still can't help but get hooked in and watch as the main character fights to survive.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a rather predictable first season up until the very end yet they made it work. Most of the characters have grown on me, the animation is good with lots of hectic fights and also some bonding moments, seeing their Japan being so used to Kaiju popping up was very interesting. In fact, I would have liked to see a bit more of the latter, maybe an episode on how a common person gets taught and deals with the whole ''a monster can pop up at anytime'' situation. I am sure that there is a whole economy based around Kaiju (besides the cleaning companies).

Anyway, it was a great first season that given the ending felt like the opening act to a war between human and Kaiju.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5