• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Subtitle Technology

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
Further thoughts: I also prefer that ship names and book titles be italicized, and real em dashes be used as opposed to double hyphens.

I was just watching the first disc of the second Naruto box set, and I found the subtitles to not be a bright enough yellow. It may be an optical illusion, but the outlines seem to be bleeding over into the bodies of the text.
gary leeman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
A lot of it also depends on who is doing it. I have a friend who does subtitling at a place in Manhattan, and he has told me that different companies have different requests and standards for the subtitling.
As for that yellow, I don't care for it either. It just better have a black border in case the scene is in the desert!
scottjam65

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Plus, I have a moderate knowledge of the language (4 years of university, but I have little to no opportunity to use what I've learned, so it's fading) so often times I only need a few quick glimpses to make sure I was correct, and would prefer the subtitles be subtle.

That's one way to get around the problem... learn to speak Japanese, or wait until the title is licensed, and watch it in your own language. No subtitles needed.

Mylene wrote:
Actually, when I watch a fansub, it's because it's unavailable commercially in my country and usually is likely never to see the light of day. Don't use "we", use "I". You can only speak for yourself. Moreover, I've seen just as many fansubs cover the screen with garishly colored words as DVD subs. I really dislike having the culture points flashed at the top of the screen, particularly when I have to stop and go back just to see what it said because they didn't put it up long enough. I like booklets or DVD extras that include such information. I'd rather see the actual image of the show than that much text.

My apologies, you are absolutely right, I should have used "I" or at least stated "those like myself". I personally watch anime as soon as I can, which means fansubs, and then buy the licensed DVDs when available, if a title becomes licensed. In addition, you are also correct in that there are those fansubs that do tend to obscure the screen and notes that flash on and off so rapidly you miss them if you blink. There are also those groups who put the notes at the end of the presentation, and there are licensors who (at least in the past) would give you no notes at all. And I agree, it is a matter of personal preference, not just on the part of viewers but also on the subtitlers themselves as to how they want the anime to look and all. Unfortunately, anime is usually licensed after it has been fansubbed, which invites comparison. I think the best thing about this is that it brings the issue to the front of the subtitlers' minds and (hopefully) will improve the quality of the product they distribute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5