• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ONIMAI: I'm Now Your Sister!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo_rkgk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:08 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
The most amusing thing about this show is to compare the ANN trailer watch party "YUK" "SQUICK" "SKEEV" reactions to the by and large very favorable reviews. What was that about not judging a book by its cover?

I personally understand, fully, why it got the hate it kinda deserved, but after watching it I realized it was kinda a bait and switch to get people watching it. The lewd stuff at the beginning quickly disappeared completely as soon as the point was made that Mahiro does not like the Male gaze upon himself and was made to feel super uncomfortable with it.
I think the show did that as some sort of point plus to get as many otaku watching as possible before switching the script to a commentary on identity and gender politics.

Honestly, above all else, I think this show is amazing because its a master class in bait and switch.
The Mahiro we get in the final episode compared to the mahiro and situational comedy in the first 2 episodes is a completely different show
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5