• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Eminence in Shadow

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I meant to reply to this back then, but got sidetracked. Yes, we know he thinks they're just going along with it. My question was why does he think that? He was both surprised and delighted that Alpha bought the story he made up off the cuff. At that time he thought she was fooled. So what changed his mind between then and now to make him believe they are humoring him? I don't remember him ever telling her or the rest otherwise.

It's presented as a call-back to his pre-isekai life, where all his friends outgrew their games and left him pursuing his dream alone. That he felt it was inevitable that at some point they'd "grow up" and leave him all alone.

Though it does feed into that strange sense that he maintains multiple incompatible beliefs simultaneously. That the girls believe, and don't, his stories. That he's invented the cult, but this guy really has crazy magic pills. That he both is, and is not, The Eminence in Shadow.

We're very definitely thinking about this too much.

It's totally fair to think about it. It's fine for the main character to be delusional but it still has to make sense to the audience. It honestly annoys the hell out of me how non sensical his actions and thoughts are.

It was the same issue I had with Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town where we are supposed to just accept that the main character is completely oblivious to how strong he is compared to everyone else even though that idea gets harder to accept the longer the series goes on.
thieftheodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:00 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
where we are supposed to just accept that the main character is completely oblivious to how strong he is compared to everyone else even though that idea gets harder to accept the longer the series goes on.

Because Cid is stupid, this is the same guy who think to defeat a nuke, you became a nuke
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see where Iris and Alexia's investigation into things go. Iris doesn't trust Shadow Garden and wants to take them and the Cult of Diablos, but Alexia seems fonder of them. Could she fall for Shadow too?

Saya Aizawa really likes voicing pink-haired characters, huh? Although I expect Sherry's story to go the way of Yusuke's in Persona 5, unfortunately.

It was nice to finally get more Gamma. I always enjoy hearing Suzuki Mimori and her playing a high-class raven-haired beauty that's also a total klutz. Gap moe at it's finest! Although it's funny to me we've gone through ED's showing off the Shadow Garden girls when we still barely know most of them. You've probably forgotten or aren't even aware of most of their names by this point.

They've even got Maaya Uchida in this as Nu! Which show is flexing their seiyuu budget the most? This, Bleach, or Urusei Yatsura...even Nobuhiko Okamoto and Hochu Otsuka are in it.

I think that's the first time I've seen someone use having to take an outdoor dump as an excuse to change into their alter ego.

I love how Cid thinks Alexia becoming a serial killer princess is the most plausible solution and only takes offense to her using his organizations name to do it. Then again, she did try to murder him...

Cid doesn't have any interest in romance but he clears romance flags easier than a real mob character would.

Also what are the chances that Hisako Kanemoto would have a character-focused ED sung by her in the same day? This and Love Flops? It was quite the timing.
#miker69

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:53 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice the statue in the foyer of the department store?
It was Shadow with the seven shades!
Rednal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:00 am Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
It means she's capable of independence. Of functioning in the "real" world, whatever he understands that to be (not his world, certainly, as that can only ever be fake). It means she has no need of his stories and his games.

I didn't get that impression, myself. I think he's totally fine letting people go if he believes they don't want to play his game - that's what happened when the Seven Shadows first split off from him earlier, and while he was surprised, he didn't exactly try to stop it. Cid was just like "Oh, they got bored of me - that's fine, I can't expect them to play along forever". He thinks it's totally normal for other people to stop wanting to be heroes.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:27 am Reply with quote
I am Atomic.

Which wasn't a true nuclear blast. Tanya von Degurechaff's pseudo magical nuclear blast, while not a true nuclear blast was at least more in line with the actual blast than Shadow's.

Shadow's 'I am Atomic' nuclear blast is more in line with an 'area of effect' spell. Say a magical spell of 'annihilation', rather than a nuclear blast. There is no radiation, there is no horizontal thermal wave, or any apparent shockwave. The entire blast is contained within a certain radius, with no graduated areas of damage.

Tanya von Degurechaff's (Saga of Tanya the Evil) blast is caused by condensed magic under extreme pressures, in bullet form. It had a thermal wave that torched the pseudo French magic soldiers. and a blast and/or shockwave. So it had simularities to an actual nuclear blast, though it wasn't one.

The animation staff made sure we, the audience, knew that everyone had been evacuated. The only reason to do this was to ensure the audience knew, that no innocents were being killed. Yes, in reality, we all know that plenty of people will not heed evacuation orders for a variety of reasons, some of which would be quite valid. But this is an anime, and they don't have the time to clear all the hurdles.

I don't know the answer to this, but was Shadow actually showing off, or did he decide that this was what was needed to eliminate this particular powerful deginerated Knight of the Rounds. If they duked it out at full power, they may have destroyed the foundations of the surrounding buildings anyway. Who can say?
thieftheodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I am Atomic.

Which wasn't a true nuclear blast.

the anime skipped some explanation that Cid is the best at two things : fighting and magic/mana control. I am atomic is Cid compressing mana so much that it explode. So the explosion behave either like fusion reactor or pure fusion weapon which would explain why it doesn't cause radiation. Cid perfect magic control also explain why atomic doesn't hurt Alexia, he can control how much area the explosion will occur
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:41 pm Reply with quote
This week on Cid can't comprehend anything external to himself as real ... our hero's tendency to view everything as isolated "scenes" unconnected to a broader persistent reality results in a blunder where he takes a beating from the most powerful character in the school in front of a massive audience for an extended period without sustaining a crippling or life-threatening injury. And is both pleased with himself and frustrated he didn't push it even further.

I imagine when he surprisingly fails to die after being slashed in the chest (he needs to get either himself or everyone else out of the classroom so Shadow can put a stop to these pretenders usurping his private fantasies after all) that'll only reinforce his reputation for immortality.

Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
The scene with Sherry and Alexia is fantastic. Poor Sherry is dealing with jealousy for the first time and has such a lack of social skills that she basically rubs Alexia's heartbreak right in her face.

These two are going to be so much fun, and so painful for Cid. I'm not sure he deserves anyone's affection, but he definitely deserves the trouble they will cause him. Hopefully both before and after all the flags sticking out of Sherry and her fathers heads activate and force Lord Shadow to intervene.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Cid oversells being a Mob character so much that he comes off more like a main character than a Mob. And the best part is he's completely oblivious to it.

Sherry is really cute. The fact that she turned to her dad, who was practically right next to them, to tell him she got to the "starting as friends" portion of the relationship was adorable. Also that luscious chocolate eating.

Nu looks amazing in that school uniform!

I hope we get to see more Rose. Two princesses? Sasuga Shadow-sama.

Ha! Seems like Alexia is far from being completely over Cid. Wonder how she'll handle having a rival in love...
DarkAudit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:09 pm Reply with quote
C'mon, Cid! You should know that a background character wouldn't be in the arena facing off against the Council President. They'd be up in the Bob Uecker cheap seats screaming how they missed the tag.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:29 am Reply with quote
"All young boys dream of their school being attacked by terrorists!" Line of the year, I swear.

Cid, I have to tell you, while a mob character usually is the first one to die, doing so so dramatically to the point where a princess thinks you're in love with her (and possibly realizing the feeling was mutual) is not something a mob character does.

Cid complaining about the terrible aesthetics of the bad guys was priceless.

Super secret Sherry! That entire sequence with Cid killing them while she's none the wiser while crawling around in her slippers was priceless. She and Cid together are just pretty fun.

Man, poor Glen. He didn't deserve that. And there's some intrigue with Nu and Marco that I'd like to see explored because of their past history, even if Nu seems to want him dead now.

I've never seen a Nobuhiko Okamoto character so thoroughly and horrificallly trounced. Cid really enjoyed himself.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Another week where you have to ask the question "just what does Cid think is happening here?"

And I think he answer is... he doesn't really care. The world is just a canvas on which to draw the different scenes he wants to put himself in. Reality is irrelevant and he doesn't give it any thought at all.

He does at least go to the effort of keeping watch over Sherry and her appalling sneaking skills. I'm not going to make the mistake of thinking he cares about her as a person, and it might just be another manifestation of his uncanny luck (he'd have difficulty resolving the situation without her, though he didn't know it at the time).

What are the odds it's Dad in that armour?

MFrontier wrote:
Cid, I have to tell you, while a mob character usually is the first one to die, doing so so dramatically to the point where a princess thinks you're in love with her (and possibly realizing the feeling was mutual) is not something a mob character does.

Do you think it's even occurred to Cid that (given how he doesn't really seem to have a concept of a persistent reality) he's going have issues explaining how it is that he's not dead? Also... it'd be fantastic if word of his (real but counteracted) death reached Alexia outside the bubble. She might be in a sling, but she just needs a small excuse to go on a bit of a rampage, she's clearly itching.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
What are the odds it's Dad in that armour?

I'd say they're not too bad. I've been suspicious of him from the get-go.

At any rate, this was the best episode yet. Loved every minute of it. Smile
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:31 am Reply with quote
Reviewer wrote:
Nu's conversation with Cid about the artifact tuning is a joke in Japanese (and is basically impossible to translate directly into English). In, the conversation, Cid never uses a single personal pronoun—i.e., he never says “I,” “she,” or “we.” Of course, he means “she” or “we” when talking about the tuning process, but Nu doesn't know Sherry is involved so she assumes that he is doing it all himself—that's why she is so impressed. This is a classic case of comedic misunderstanding using a well-known peculiarity of the Japanese language.

Actually, it isn't impossible. If the translator had taken (or had) the time to do so, the ambiguity could have remained and the joke that depends on it would have been preserved. Original lines in italics, suggested rewrites in bold.
Subtitles wrote:
Nu: Might I ask what you need all of this for?

Cid: We're fine tuning an artifact.
For fine tuning an artifact.

Nu: An artifact? You know how to do that?
An artifact? You even know how to do that too?!
## In the original Japanese, Nu's second statement is one of surprise that Cid's knowledge even includes how to tune artifacts. She did not actually ask him if he could do it. ##

Cid: Yeah, our magic is being blocked by an artifact called the Eye of Avarice.
Our magic is being blocked by an artifact called the Eye of Avarice.

Cid: And we're in the final stages of fine-tuning the artifact that can neutralize it.
And the fine tuning of the artifact that can neutralize it, is in its final stages.

Nu: A difficult task requiring the greatest level of knowledge in the kingdom...
And you make it sound so easy.

Cid: I guess so.

Cid: I think we'll have it finished by the time the sun goes down.
I think it should be done by the time the sun goes down.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:26 am Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:

Actually, it isn't impossible. If the translator had taken (or had) the time to do so, the ambiguity could have remained and the joke that depends on it would have been preserved. Original lines in italics, suggested rewrites in bold.
Subtitles wrote:
Nu: Might I ask what you need all of this for?

Cid: We're fine tuning an artifact.
For fine tuning an artifact.

Nu: An artifact? You know how to do that?
An artifact? You even know how to do that too?!
## In the original Japanese, Nu's second statement is one of surprise that Cid's knowledge even includes how to tune artifacts. She did not actually ask him if he could do it. ##

Cid: Yeah, our magic is being blocked by an artifact called the Eye of Avarice.
Our magic is being blocked by an artifact called the Eye of Avarice.

Cid: And we're in the final stages of fine-tuning the artifact that can neutralize it.
And the fine tuning of the artifact that can neutralize it, is in its final stages.

Nu: A difficult task requiring the greatest level of knowledge in the kingdom...
And you make it sound so easy.

Cid: I guess so.

Cid: I think we'll have it finished by the time the sun goes down.
I think it should be done by the time the sun goes down.

Good work. I guess it comes across slightly clunky in English, but it does preserve the joke better.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'd say they're not too bad. I've been suspicious of him from the get-go.

Yep, he's had "that guy with the daughter from Full metal Alchemist" flags right from the start. Especially with the revelation Sherry is adopted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11