• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 86

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gingi7890 wrote:
Speaking of which, this could be a way for the timeline that was mentioned on the first page (the first cour to run the first novel) to work. They are extending it, but I don't mind the way they're doing it. I would like them to get through the fourth by the end of the second season, but at this pace, I kind of doubt it.

Yeah, based on how much anime-original content has been in the last two episodes (most of ep 6 is either completely anime-original or fleshes out things that weren't gone into detail in the novels), I now think it's now pretty clear that the first cour is going to end at the end of the first novel, probably minus its epilogue. I wouldn't hold out any hope of the second cour animating more than novels 2 and 3, especially given this series' pacing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:10 am Reply with quote
I tried to like the serie but it's very hard because nothing about the racism or the military doesn't make any sense yet.

When you have a propaganda system that can dehumanize people why not use it to recruit soldier and dehumanize your enemy like every army in the world: here they dehumanize their own soldier and fancy a 0 death lie... It look completely absurd, in my opinion, when the war is not an option. I'm still curious to see what ideology they used to dehumanize them.

The 86 obey orders but I cannot understand why. They talk about protecting their land and the following episode, they say the war is lost and they will die so, in my opinion, they should desert.

Lena got critical intelligence about the legion but don't do anything with it... I cannot understand that either. The military from Magnolia, are just looking like cosplayers because they don't seems to have any value in this war.

The wall protecting the city is useless like every wall since the invention of artillery when you don't have air supremacy. Here the legion has moving artillery so i don't understand what is the plan at all.

In the perspective they choose the war of attrition because the legion was superior, that doesn't explain why they would sacrifice the 86 troops and equipment by blatant incompetence and would stop gathering intelligence about the enemy strategies and unit specs. For example: not reading the reports from the 86...

I'm disappointed because the elements are too artificially set up, the behaviors of characters are inconsistent with the information i have at this point, and even if i was very interested in the premise of this show, it's hard to take its thematics seriously because of that.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:10 am Reply with quote
Snowcat wrote:
When you have a propaganda system that can dehumanize people why not use it to recruit soldier and dehumanize your enemy like every army in the world: here they dehumanize their own soldier and fancy a 0 death lie... It look completely absurd, in my opinion, when the war is not an option. I'm still curious to see what ideology they used to dehumanize them.

Dehumanizing the enemy is pointless because the enemy is inhuman. The humans on the other side have been wiped out by their own autonomous forces. (I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in the anime, though off the top of my head I can't point to exactly where.)

As for the ideology used to dehumanize the 86s, the source material never goes into much detail about this, either, but there are strong historical parallels in Nazi propaganda towards Jews and gypsies. Build on existing suspicions towards, and resentments of, immigrants (which all of the non-Alba are) and it's (sadly) not that hard to accomplish.

Quote:
The 86 obey orders but I cannot understand why. They talk about protecting their land and the following episode, they say the war is lost and they will die so, in my opinion, they should desert.

The problem is that they have nowhere to desert to. This way they at least get supplies and the hope for regaining citizenship.

Quote:
Lena got critical intelligence about the legion but don't do anything with it... I cannot understand that either. The military from Magnolia, are just looking like cosplayers because they don't seems to have any value in this war.

Who would believe her, especially given that the source is an 86 who knows about this primarily through the use of supernatural/psychic powers? How would that look on a report to superiors? And you're right, the military has little value in this war because they believe that they can just sit behind their wall for a couple more years and it'll be over.

Quote:
The wall protecting the city is useless like every wall since the invention of artillery when you don't have air supremacy. Here the legion has moving artillery so i don't understand what is the plan at all.

Fortifications can be designed to resist conventional artillery.

Quote:
In the perspective they choose the war of attrition because the legion was superior, that doesn't explain why they would sacrifice the 86 troops and equipment by blatant incompetence and would stop gathering intelligence about the enemy strategies and unit specs. For example: not reading the reports from the 86...

You're missing the point here: this is the Republic's way of exterminating the 86s. It's the functional equivalent to working them to death in work camps, so sacrificing the 86s in battle is the goal, not the means. Yes, the Republic has gotten very complacent about all of this, but they hardly have the market cornered on using complacency to dodge grim realities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the answers, but it's still hard to swallow.
Key wrote:

Dehumanizing the enemy is pointless because the enemy is inhuman. The humans on the other side have been wiped out by their own autonomous forces. (I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in the anime, though off the top of my head I can't point to exactly where.)

As for the ideology used to dehumanize the 86s, the source material never goes into much detail about this, either, but there are strong historical parallels in Nazi propaganda towards Jews and gypsies. Build on existing suspicions towards, and resentments of, immigrants (which all of the non-Alba are) and it's (sadly) not that hard to accomplish.

That's the problem i have to take it seriously : a democracy has gone full genocide without ideological material. The nazi use conspiracy theories (insider enemy), fake-science (race hierarchy and blood purity), mythology (aryan supremacy), economical situation (jews as scapegoat for all problems) to launch their propaganda based on the existing and already powerful racism.
The other problem is, if propaganda is this powerful, why do they care about a 0 death war to begin with: dying at war could be shown as the most honorable thing to do.

Quote:
The problem is that they have nowhere to desert to. This way they at least get supplies and the hope for regaining citizenship.

If they are not human, they cannot become citizens because it will contradict the propaganda. I would have understood if they were considered lower-class citizens and more expendable than the Alba soldiers, but, there is no Alba soldier.
For the desertion: they can all regroup on one side of Magnolia and let the legion reach the other side. Why spread your force on a vast territory if there is no need to protect all sides because the wall is perfect ?

Quote:
Who would believe her, especially given that the source is an 86 who knows about this primarily through the use of supernatural/psychic powers? How would that look on a report to superiors? And you're right, the military has little value in this war because they believe that they can just sit behind their wall for a couple more years and it'll be over.

But she knows the 2 years rule is untrue, she should do something or she doesn't care about everyone dying ? The source of information doesn't really matter, only its strategical value. They could retrieve black sheep for analysis, show analysis of legion's tactical evolution, the communications can be registered...

Quote:
You're missing the point here: this is the Republic's way of exterminating the 86s. It's the functional equivalent to working them to death in work camps, so sacrificing the 86s in battle is the goal, not the means. Yes, the Republic has gotten very complacent about all of this, but they hardly have the market cornered on using complacency to dodge grim realities.

So their objective is exterminating the 86 even if it means reducing their chance to win this war and increasing their chance to die themselves. Why not increase the 86 survival rate and try to win the war then exterminate the remaining 86 instead ? And return to the initial point : why do they want to exterminate them if at the end of the war, everything has to be rebuild and they will need a workforce they can exploit to do it ?

I will continue to watch because the show has others qualities, but its serious themes lack logic, at the moment, to be taken seriously in my opinion.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Snowcat wrote:
That's the problem i have to take it seriously : a democracy has gone full genocide without ideological material. The nazi use conspiracy theories (insider enemy), fake-science (race hierarchy and blood purity), mythology (aryan supremacy), economical situation (jews as scapegoat for all problems) to launch their propaganda based on the existing and already powerful racism.

Do you have to see a person or country being exposed to racist dogma into order to accept that they're racist? The series implies the existence of ideological material rather than (for the most part) showing it. That being said, I'll admit that the series could have done a bit better job about establishing the foundations for it. The novel goes into a little more detail, but even there the story felt like it was expecting readers to draw allusions to history and real-world situations to fill in the gaps. That doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might be too indirect for others.

Quote:
The other problem is, if propaganda is this powerful, why do they care about a 0 death war to begin with: dying at war could be shown as the most honorable thing to do.

Do we consider dying in a war to be an honorable death these days? Keeping friendly casualties to a minimum is more the current point of emphasis. Given that the setting has a firm foundation for the development of autonomous or remotely-directed weapon systems, a preference for minimal casualties can be assumed. (I believe that this is even explicitly stated in an early episode.) Beside, most of the Republic's conventional military was annihilated when the Legion first attacked; Annette's comment in ep 6 about having difficulty finding suitors her own age is probably a veiled reference to that.

Quote:
If they are not human, they cannot become citizens because it will contradict the propaganda. I would have understood if they were considered lower-class citizens and more expendable than the Alba soldiers, but, there is no Alba soldier.

Keep watching. This point is at the core of an upcoming plot development, so it will be dealt with.

Quote:
For the desertion: they can all regroup on one side of Magnolia and let the legion reach the other side. Why spread your force on a vast territory if there is no need to protect all sides because the wall is perfect ?

The books are very vague on this (the author is, annoyingly, not fond of providing maps), but the implication is that there is no "other side." The Republic is dealing with multiple battlefronts; Spearhead Squadron is just on the one most directly facing the former Empire.

Quote:
But she knows the 2 years rule is untrue, she should do something or she doesn't care about everyone dying ? The source of information doesn't really matter, only its strategical value. They could retrieve black sheep for analysis, show analysis of legion's tactical evolution, the communications can be registered...

You're underestimating the impact of the racism here. If you've convinced the populace that the 86s are pigs, then why listen to the squealing of a pig? Also, Annette made it quite clear to Lena in ep 6 what would happen to Shin if the nature of his abilities was revealed, and her uncle made it quite clear how much her words would be heeded. So Lena's doing the analysis on her own.

Quote:
So their objective is exterminating the 86 even if it means reducing their chance to win this war and increasing their chance to die themselves. Why not increase the 86 survival rate and try to win the war then exterminate the remaining 86 instead ? And return to the initial point : why do they want to exterminate them if at the end of the war, everything has to be rebuild and they will need a workforce they can exploit to do it ?

Simple: they're convinced that they're going to be fine if they just wait it out and use the 86s as a buffer. Is that irrational confidence? Definitely, but when has that ever stopped a country?

As for the part about rebuilding, again, you're not considering real-world parallels. The Nazis were all about promoting racial purity, and in the U.S. (and many other countries) conservative elements rail about immigrants swarming into the country and taking up the jobs of the citizens. (That the jobs they're taking are mostly basic ones that the citizens would consider beneath them is irrelevant.) Really, aside from the autonomous war machines and the Para-RAID system, there's very little in this story that doesn't have real-world parallels.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The novel goes into a little more detail, but even there the story felt like it was expecting readers to draw allusions to history and real-world situations to fill in the gaps. That doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might be too indirect for others.

Indeed, I'm quite interested in history but i don't have enough element to fill the gap yet. The city looks too utopic to make supposition for such hate and without some twisted ideology to explain it, it's hard to understand. Maybe there wasn't enough space in the capital and they decide to let them outside but why label them as "not human" at the same time, just revoking their citizenship was enough to discriminate them. At least, the racism of the 86 is understandable because they are discriminated and let to die outside.

Quote:
Do we consider dying in a war to be an honorable death these days? Keeping friendly casualties to a minimum is more the current point of emphasis.

Yes, but the point of propaganda is to modify the public opinion not to follow trends. That's why i don't understand that at all. The fact that a lot of young Alban have already died in the conflict is more convincing, i overlooked that aspect.

Quote:
Keep watching. This point is at the core of an upcoming plot development, so it will be dealt with.

Thanks for the advise, i will continue because i really want to understand where this show is going.

Quote:
The books are very vague on this (the author is, annoyingly, not fond of providing maps), but the implication is that there is no "other side." The Republic is dealing with multiple battlefronts; Spearhead Squadron is just on the one most directly facing the former Empire.

I think there was a map in the first episode explaining that they are surrounded. I was talking about about 86 regrouping on a side of Magnolia and letting the city cover them as a stronghold. It would be more efficient if they don't want to die instead of covering a large territory without any civilians to protect but it depends on the geography. The site where Shin and his troops are, doesn't look like particularly strategic and easy to defend but i may be wrong.

Quote:
So Lena's doing the analysis on her own.

Nice, at least she is not ignoring those information and is trying to do something.

Quote:
Simple: they're convinced that they're going to be fine if they just wait it out and use the 86s as a buffer. Is that irrational confidence? Definitely, but when has that ever stopped a country?

I agree, but they had lost before so they shouldn't have such confidence while being blatantly incompetent.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Snowcat wrote:
Key wrote:
The novel goes into a little more detail, but even there the story felt like it was expecting readers to draw allusions to history and real-world situations to fill in the gaps. That doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might be too indirect for others.

Indeed, I'm quite interested in history but i don't have enough element to fill the gap yet. The city looks too utopic to make supposition for such hate and without some twisted ideology to explain it, it's hard to understand. Maybe there wasn't enough space in the capital and they decide to let them outside but why label them as "not human" at the same time, just revoking their citizenship was enough to discriminate them. At least, the racism of the 86 is understandable because they are discriminated and let to die outside.

The narrow scope of the series, focusing on one Alban and 1 squad of 86, has made me question the larger societal structure of the Republic as well. The fact that there has been nobody else speaking out for the 86 feels pretty unrealistic as, and I mentioned this before, even in the most brutal dictatorships there were always partisans and opposition.

However, the series has hinted at sympathetic Albans already (The Fox Commander for example who fought alongside 86 troops and has evoked some very mixed feelings from members of Spearhead) and I'm hopeful that as the series looks more into Shin and Shourei's past we'll get a more complete view of how the current situation came to be.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Something I noticed multiple people mentioning is why dont the 86 rebel or simply stop fighting for the Republic. It's mentioned in detail in the novels and hinted at in the show, but the reason is that the Republic is fighting a war on all fronts. The Republic is essentially an "island", surrounded by legion. You have the Legion, then the 86 in between the legion and the minefields, then the giant wall. There is nowhere for the 86 to go. Some other aspects glossed over in the show is that the 86 are dependent on the Republic for fuel, power, ammo, and basic food production. If they rebel, they simply flip a switch and the 86's supplies are cut off. They scrounge for food for a bit of variety but they are heavily dependent on Republic rations.

Another detail that's glossed over is that the 86 aren't issued rifles or pistols. Whatever small arms they have, they scrounge from the battlefield. The reason is to prevent a possible revolt, since Republic troops (Alba's) do make trips out to the 86 base camps to bring in repair parts and supplies and whatnot. There's always the chance they can be taken hostage. Theres a scene in the novel where Lena finds out Shin has a pistol, but she turns a blind eye to it.

Also, there is one big reason why the Eighty Six can't rebel even if they want to

spoiler[ As mentioned in the last episode, the Republic does have mortars and artillery. Raiden mentions he's never seen it used against the Legion. There's a reason for this, the bases the eighty six operate out of are the targets for the artillery. They're held at literal gunpoint. ]
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Agree with the reviewer, the battles have been very well done. Seeing that girl take her self out first was pretty terrible, but understandable considering everything going on :/
It was a bit annoying though having the tropey set up putting extra focus on that guy and the girl with the long purple hair (names escape me) to then follow with one of them getting killed. I hope this doesn't continue as a trend =/

Electric Wooloo wrote:

The narrow scope of the series, focusing on one Alban and 1 squad of 86, has made me question the larger societal structure of the Republic as well. The fact that there has been nobody else speaking out for the 86 feels pretty unrealistic as, and I mentioned this before, even in the most brutal dictatorships there were always partisans and opposition.

However, the series has hinted at sympathetic Albans already (The Fox Commander for example who fought alongside 86 troops and has evoked some very mixed feelings from members of Spearhead) and I'm hopeful that as the series looks more into Shin and Shourei's past we'll get a more complete view of how the current situation came to be.

I got the impression from the conversations between Lena and her uncle (among other interactions) that being publicly supportive of the 86s is a great to end up in serious trouble. I don't know if this nation would put someone to death over it (though that might not be a stretch), but this seems like the type of environment where very few, if any, would be publicly speaking out about it.
There may be people quietly against what is going on and even underground groups being more active against it, but unless they find out about Lena and move to contact her, it's likely we wouldn't her about it until they arrive on the scene on their own in some fashion.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Agree with the reviewer, the battles have been very well done.

Yeah, the extra details about Shirogumi were especially welcome. That explains a lot about the quality we're getting from the CG work.

Quote:
It was a bit annoying though having the tropey set up putting extra focus on that guy and the girl with the long purple hair (names escape me) to then follow with one of them getting killed. I hope this doesn't continue as a trend =/

Did Anju (the long-haired girl) and Daiya really get extra attention in this episode, though? They've been getting about that level of attention on a regular basis since episode 1.

(And fun fact: the scenes of Daiya getting mortally wounded and then finished off by Shin are anime-original. The novel just off-handedly mentions his death happening "off screen," so in this sense the anime is an improvement.)
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Agree with the reviewer, the battles have been very well done. Seeing that girl take her self out first was pretty terrible, but understandable considering everything going on :/

Electric Wooloo wrote:

I got the impression from the conversations between Lena and her uncle (among other interactions) that being publicly supportive of the 86s is a great to end up in serious trouble. I don't know if this nation would put someone to death over it (though that might not be a stretch), but this seems like the type of environment where very few, if any, would be publicly speaking out about it.
There may be people quietly against what is going on and even underground groups being more active against it, but unless they find out about Lena and move to contact her, it's likely we wouldn't her about it until they arrive on the scene on their own in some fashion.

The thing is that's the exact opposite impression I got from the "speech" in episode 2. Lena says "My Uncle's a big deal" and that's all we hear about that. I understand that scene was anime original to "infodump things from the novel the anime wouldn't have time for" but considering the pace of the anime apparently there would have been time to fit those things in naturally if they're only going to volume 3.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Lena's speech to the class in episode two clearly made the instructor very uncomfortable --- he kept looking over at the dozing political officer monitoring the class. Lena probably felt she could get away with it because of her family connections and her own distinguished academy record, if she reflected on it at all, but I seem to recall comments that even she should be careful what she says.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Electric Wooloo wrote:

The thing is that's the exact opposite impression I got from the "speech" in episode 2. Lena says "My Uncle's a big deal" and that's all we hear about that. I understand that scene was anime original to "infodump things from the novel the anime wouldn't have time for" but considering the pace of the anime apparently there would have been time to fit those things in naturally if they're only going to volume 3.
What you point out is one of my biggest issues with the speech. In a very well done adaptation, it was a poorly done moment. There were also private conversations with Lena's mother, Annette, and her uncle that could have been used to convey the same info, but were cut from the show.
saber721

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
So apparently two other members of Spearhead died in-between episodes, based on the updated OP and number of post-its left on Lena's board later in the episode. (I counted 16, not counting Rei's)
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Did Anju (the long-haired girl) and Daiya really get extra attention in this episode, though? They've been getting about that level of attention on a regular basis since episode 1.

(And fun fact: the scenes of Daiya getting mortally wounded and then finished off by Shin are anime-original. The novel just off-handedly mentions his death happening "off screen," so in this sense the anime is an improvement.)

While they had some screen time in earlier episodes, it didn't seem to be to a much greater degree then others. This episode felt like the focus was squarely on these two and a possible relationship. At least to me they seemed to be getting extra focus and that threw up some flags as I was watching.
I'd agree that it's an improvement seeing it on screen instead of being mentioned later.

Electric Wooloo wrote:

From what I remember, she only was able to make that speech because of who her uncle was. Of course, if it's anime original then it really can't be expected to hold up against the larger narrative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13