• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Young Again in Another World Anime Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alcest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
ecchigas wrote:
china proving they are the new world leader

Stuff like this with SK already happened. Nothing to do with China in particular.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:
Friendly reminder that using social media in this day and age is on par with providing the ammo and loading the gun for your murderer. If you have unpopular opinion it's best to keep it on the down low.

Racism isn't an "unpopular opinion."
It's racism.

This is NOT racism, this is about nationalism quite different.

But equally dangerous and harmful.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, are people really debating the semantics of whether it's "racist" or "nationalist" or whatever? Fact is: Guy said and wrote some offensive stuff and he's getting punished for it. All this is doing is detracting from the actual point.

And the arguments about him apologising for it? He only apologised because he got called out on it. His apology may not even be very genuine, just be a try to calm the situation apology. I don't really have any sympathy for him, if he only realises he wrote "inappropriate remarks" after his livelihood is at stake. It's not like someone forced him at gunpoint to write about a character killing hundreds of Chinese, or blackmailed him into tweeting derogatory remarks about China. He made the active decision to do it and now he's paying the price. It's really a case of "you reap what you sow"...

"Why are people only complaining now?" Probably because they'd never heard of the novel before the anime was adapted. OR, people had been complaining but because the LN wasn't so big no one really listened or saw the complaints. Or the people who had been complaining didn't have a big enough audience listening so their comments didn't spread, but now that the anime was announced there's people tweeting about it who actually do have a large audience and can get the word out? I doubt these claims just materialised out of nowhere, I bet there were discussions of it prior to the anime being announced.

Also surprised people didn't seem to realise until now how much power China has over productions. I don't think the Chinese government was involved in this at all, but regardless pissing off the Chinese is not a good marketing tactic.

Last edited by harminia on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akira525

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Zzshcl wrote:
Well, I don't think we are gonna miss so much, it looks like another average isekai novel anyways

Well i a way yes. But the manga is surprisingly good. Trust me it's a lot better than In Another World with my Smartphone.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
If a person has a nationalist mindset at the expense of a feeling of racial superiority, that is bad. It is fine with being a nationalist, depending on extreme it is. Being a racist is horrid.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
When I worked for a District Attorney's office, we once had an assault case between two Korean men. The defendant had assaulted the victim because he "made Koreans look bad," and because of that, the DA added a racial discrimination enhancement to the charge, which the judge accepted.
I don't know what anyone's personal definition of the word "racist" is (because somehow people keep changing the meaning to suit their arguments these days), but at the very least I can say, in an American court of law, it is possible to be racist against one's own race.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If a person has a nationalist mindset at the expense of a feeling of racial superiority, that is bad. It is fine with being a nationalist, depending on extreme it is. Being a racist is horrid.

It's fine to be patriotic, and love your country. It's not fine to be nationalist, and consider other countries beneath yours.
Otaku Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
That Chinese guy just had to ruin it for the rest of us didn't he? If you don't like something ignore it, it wasn't like he was forced to read.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

It's fine to be patriotic, and love your country. It's not fine to be nationalist, and consider other countries beneath yours.

Every country does this, and that's also why the terms "First-world" and "Second-world" exist.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

The author did this to himself,instead of you know not continuing with the racist remarks on Twitter while their work was getting extra attention,he went right on tweeting...and we now know racism is not a side affect of taking Ambien so have to rule that out.

And then there is the web novel,which does have the protagonist killing Chinese during WWII with a sword
Google:"The contest to kill 100 people using a sword".

Just as an example-
Gate is freaking very pro Japanese nationalism.The web comic(holy crap lol)the manga both skewer the governments of the USA and China often.
But Gate does not fictionalize an egregious incident which occurred during the Nanjing Massacre.

so the author was tweeting racist comments on twitter recently?
i don't know japanese so i've only seen screenshots of his racist tweets from years ago

if you understand japanese, can you tell me which recent tweets he did were racist
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
From here on out I guess series are going to have to do what Code Geass did. Start labeling countries by numbers or start using names like "Britannia" since you can't directly associate it with a real country.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
There was a Japanese director awhile ago who Americans tried to gut because he was anti-Jew on his Twitter, but nothing came out of it.

If by "nothing come of it" for mean the studio he worked out releasing a public statement condemning him and also firing him(though it seems he was more a contracter than an actual employee so firing is a bit loose), then yeah "nothing" came of it.

As for the rest of this thread... umn. o_O

Just a reminder that the mods usually prefer us to just report grossly offensive content, and not quote/argue with it, as the latter can clog up the thread and make more work for them.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
Otaku Sensei wrote:
That Chinese guy just had to ruin it for the rest of us didn't he? If you don't like something ignore it, it wasn't like he was forced to read.

Be careful what you wish for because that is probably what China would have done. Ignoring it by banning it which is what the publisher/ anime production fear. Japan doesn't want China to ignore it since China provide huge source of money. Well what do you expect when most non Chinese international anime fans choose to pirate and watch anime illegally.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
This is NOT racism, this is about nationalism quite different.

Racism and nationalism aren't exactly the same thing, but neither are they unrelated. A Venn diagram of "people who are racist" and "people who are nationalists" will only have a thin sliver of racists who aren't nationalists and a thinner sliver of nationalists who aren't racist.

I'm pretty sure it is racism anyway, but debating whether it's racist or nationalist is pointless: either way it is bigoted, and that's not on.
WANNFH wrote:
It's not like we got something like Youjo Senki (and I like Youjo Senki) anime, where the main character was on the clearly WWII (not Nazi, but...) Germany inspired side, fighting against the armies clearly inspired by European countries

It isn't WW2, it's WW1 slightly later with a slightly higher level of technology. And in any case Tanya, in spite of being the protagonist, is hardly presented as being good or heroic. The official English title for it is especially unsubtle on that point.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Regardless what we can think about the author, there's the fact heads are rolling right now with the people that green-lighted this thing in first place. And there's also the elephant in the room: Since the Anime industry is oversaturated with almost any kind of stuff and the fact, unlike Americans, the Japanese doesn't like to relay too much on lawyers to verify anything is legal on stark contrast with the States, it's more than obvious something like this could happen. Now, all the people involved in the production of the animated adaptation likely has lost craploads of money just because the lawyers didn't do their job in first place.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
Otaku Sensei wrote:

Every country does this, and that's also why the terms "First-world" and "Second-world" exist.

First/Second/Third world are old Cold War terminology that referred to whether a nation was in the Western bloc or the Eastern, or neither, which has nothing to do with nationalism. It's fallen out of favor with the end of the Cold War, and most economists use developed/partially developed/developing instead now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6