• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I could never see myself buying digital versions of anime series.

I would (at regional prices) if they allowed me to download the file for me to use at any time (like GOG) instead of renting the stream for a non defined amount of time (which is what Steam).

I've bought a few things through iTunes that are sub-only (if a dub exists iTunes will only have the dub, although I did make a mistake with Nakaimo), not available physically in the UK, are uncensored compared to the simulcast, and have some sort of season discount. I've also bought Sora no Woto, even though I already have it on DVD, because the DVDs have PAL speedup and it was pretty cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
And why do so many commentators here suggest that the only alternative to paying for a Crunchyroll subscription is to pirate the shows it carries on Kiss?

I have long since resigned myself to the fact that the reasons people give for pirating are nonsensical - and ultimately translate to "me, me, me".

yuna49 wrote:
I watched LWA via fansubs, but I also have a Netflix subscription, so they lost nothing from my decision.

They lost nothing... But the community loses because it reduces the number of people watching and thus the chances of Netflix staying in the game. (Though some would argue this is a *good* thing.) The loss may be microscopic, but it's there nonetheless.

I'm half watching (that is, it's on in the background while I do other things) Ultraman Geed on the same theory... It's a very weak outing, but if I don't watch it cuts down on the chances Crunchy will pick up later series. (And since Ultraman fandom is the nichiest of niches, I suspect it needs all the help it can get.)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't mind ads though, as long as they're not the sort to take up all of my CPU.

For the time period I had crunchy without a paying subscription, they showed me only one commercial advertisement over and over and over and it was not even in spanish (don't they realize most people in latinamerica don't understand english, if viewers don't understand your advertisement it is a waste of time). Most people would go with the ad version if there was some variety, one comercial gets old real fast and some people might not even realize that they can get an ad-free subscription!

Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've bought a few things through iTunes that are sub-only (if a dub exists iTunes will only have the dub, although I did make a mistake with Nakaimo), not available physically in the UK, are uncensored compared to the simulcast, and have some sort of season discount.

Finished browsing what it is available locally, yeah, the catalog is flimsy at best:

https://itunes.apple.com/mx/genre/películas-anime/id4402

I already have Paprika on blu-ray and the rest of the list does not interest or is not even anime.

DerekL1963 wrote:
They lost nothing... But the community loses because it reduces the number of people watching and thus the chances of Netflix staying in the game. (Though some would argue this is a *good* thing.)

More than a "good thing" it is IMO customer pressure to get weekly releases aka service the way we want. Remember those campaigns where they said the will get your burger order however you want?* That is what they will need to do since they no doubt are keeping count of the torrent downloads of LWA and similar animes.

* I still remember the Bloom County strip where Opus asks for a soda drink, hold the glass Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've also bought Sora no Woto, even though I already have it on DVD, because the DVDs have PAL speedup and it was pretty cheap.

You mean to say that our Beez hardback release runs at an excessive framerate? While I would be unfazed by this news if true, I would nonetheless be close to the brink of being fazed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
People who try to justify piracy amuse me. Just own up to it. "I'm pirating because I don't want to pay for it!". Is that so hard?

Keeps reminding of me of Sgt. Friday lecturing out Hippie shoplifters from the old 60's Dragnet:
"You haven't 'given up on our materialistic society', you've just given on PAYING for it!"
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

Paiprince wrote:
Furuzaki wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
there are a lot of countries, where 7 dollars is the minimum wage for two days.

If they are paid 3,5 dollars per day, you should realize they wouldn't even afford the technology to illegally watch shows. Stop posting troll comments.

Also, low income doesn't justify crimes. It sad and depressing that they are being severely underpaid, yes. But it still wrong to commit crimes, though if they must steal it should be food, not crap like tv-shows.

Because god knows poor people can't have hobbies and must dedicate their existence just to live the next day right?

This. I just love how many people have an America-centric notion of income. Here in Portugal, there was a national student-owned computer program a decade ago. A already present economic crisis [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–14_Portuguese_financial_crisis]erupted into a new level.[/url] So yeah, right now I am using a 10-year old Toshiba Satellite L40 that can barely play Youtube (VLC Player is lighter than any browser). All this whilst ''feasting'' on barley, and owing money to a grocery store, and no prospect of getting a job anytime soon, as I am labeled a handicapped (it's just Asperger's, for Christ's sake).

So yeah, poor people can own (old/used technology). And many have interests, and those interests are the thing keeping them sane. I care for actual criminality. Under the ''crime'' analogy, homosexuals getting hanged in Saudi Arabia got what they deserved, which is not true. That goes to show how absurd that logic is.

But some people, I assume, are Ayn Rand fans.

Americans who don't have personal experience with people who live at or below the poverty line don't know the first thing about poverty in their own country and make tons of assumptions about what poor people have access to, what they don't have access to, what they "should or shouldn't" (in their opinion) have access to, and their lives, including their work habits and lifestyle choices, which are all completely false/based on select anecdotes filtered through biases. That's come out quite a lot in this thread.
But I don't think poverty is the main cause of piracy--I think younger Millenials raised on the 'net don't always know what's legal vs. What's not and why it's important to know the difference, which is why it's important for Youtubers with young audiences to fill them in. Never assume maliciousness when ignorance is the cause. That's not to say that most anime is affordable--Crunchyroll may not require a credit card for access to their ad-supported free catalog, but it's not true that their entire backlog is accessible, either. Amazon Prime has a ridiculous double paywall, and it, Netflix and Hulu don't have free options for most of their anime. More importantly, besides for Crunchyroll, no one knows about all the legal free, American streaming sites out there--Tubi TV, Crackle, Pluto TV, Viewster, *certain* channels on Youtube, ani.ME, HiDive--I think only HiDive was even mentioned in this thread. I've also found when talking to fans that people don't realize that you can take out manga volumes and even anime discs from the library (or that if your personal library system doesn't have it, you can request it via inter-library loan), or that there is digital manga available for free on library e-book sites...if they don't know about all the options, they'll just go for the first site that comes up in a Google search which is almost always a pirate site. As long as piracy seems easier and more accessible than legit streams, they'll be used more. The music industry learned that lesson decades ago and it seems that other media is still struggling with making their legal options better and more well known than the illegal ones.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
They lost nothing... But the community loses because it reduces the number of people watching and thus the chances of Netflix staying in the game. (Though some would argue this is a *good* thing.) The loss may be microscopic, but it's there nonetheless.

Frankly I'd like to see Netflix exit the seasonal anime business and go back to licensing shows only after they are complete and dubbed. Between Netflix and Amazon, I'd take the latter. They seem reasonably committed to simulcasting now. Netflix's binge-viewing model doesn't work for our part of the fan base.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
People who try to justify piracy amuse me. Just own up to it. "I'm pirating because I don't want to pay for it!". Is that so hard?

I personally refuse to pay for a digital product. You don't own it, and it's just data you can easily find for free. I prefer pirating then buying disks when they come out. You don't have to worry about Aniplex kicking in your door one day and taking back the Blu-Rays you bought like you do streaming services when their library expires or rotates out. Of course, that's assuming the show in question is even picked up by a streaming service to begin with.

-Stuart Smith
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also continue to find it amusing that people still complain about "we always hear the same voices" in English dubs but don't for Japanese dubs, where some seiyuu have hundreds of roles to their credits.

Seriously. Then said people complain when new blood comes in, doesn't sound good to them, and then say we should use veterans instead. Make up your minds!

And agreed to the second part. It's been pretty easy to identify them by ear (I have a good memory) and many of them use the same voice too. It's not exclusive to English dubs, but some people always have to find something to complain about in order to put Japanese voices on some pedestal of perfection.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I personally refuse to pay for a digital product. You don't own it, and it's just data you can easily find for free. I prefer pirating then buying disks when they come out.

Did anyone have this view before intellectual property was "easily found for free"? "I refuse to pay for cable TV, I'd rather connect my TV to my neighbor's cable and buy the VHS sets when they come out?"
You aren't paying for ownership. You will never own the shows--you are paying for the privilege of watching the work others created.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've also bought Sora no Woto, even though I already have it on DVD, because the DVDs have PAL speedup and it was pretty cheap.

You mean to say that our Beez hardback release runs at an excessive framerate? While I would be unfazed by this news if true, I would nonetheless be close to the brink of being fazed.

IIRC the OP in particular sounded wrong (if I hadn't seen it on Crunchyroll first maybe I wouldn't have known the difference, but I love that song).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
And agreed to the second part. It's been pretty easy to identify them by ear (I have a good memory) and many of them use the same voice too. It's not exclusive to English dubs, but some people always have to find something to complain about in order to put Japanese voices on some pedestal of perfection.

I doubt if someone took the time to make a list it would come out with the exact same percentages between Japanese and English casts being reused. One side is going to do it more than the other. Just the notion the Japanese industry is way bigger would more than likely mean talent isn't anywhere nearly as used. Just looking at the dub cast for BHA shows the usual Funi cast used in most shounen, while the original cast isn't made up of Dragonball alumni.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
One of the most messed up things about pirate sites other than having to worry about virus//pop up ads, is the inconsistency of the quality of the subs. No show has this problem that I know other than Attack on Titan.
It's a real clusterf***.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Did anyone have this view before intellectual property was "easily found for free"? "I refuse to pay for cable TV, I'd rather connect my TV to my neighbor's cable and buy the VHS sets when they come out?"
You aren't paying for ownership. You will never own the shows--you are paying for the privilege of watching the work others created.

I don't watch TV, but companies hated when VCRs became a thing since people could 'steal' media by recording it for later viewing. But no, I imagine the idea of collecting wasn't a thing until the advent of home video releases. Otherwise, it's worth pointing out the difference between TV and anime streaming is production and where the money goes. Anime isn't made for a streaming service like shows are made for networks, not to mention anime's primary market is Japan, not America like American TV is.

You seem to be confusing owning with having a stockholder's share in. People own the DVDs and Blu-Rays and can watch them any time they want.

Heishi wrote:
One of the most messed up things about pirate sites other than having to worry about virus//pop up ads, is the inconsistency of the quality of the subs. No show has this problem that I know other than Attack on Titan.
It's a real clusterf***.

I've been torrenting and DDing since the 90s, way back on dialup. Never onced used an illegal stream site. I fail to see the logic in using another streaming site if one dislikes official streaming sites.

-Stuart Smith
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I personally refuse to pay for a digital product. You don't own it, and it's just data you can easily find for free. I prefer pirating then buying disks when they come out. You don't have to worry about Aniplex kicking in your door one day and taking back the Blu-Rays you bought like you do streaming services when their library expires or rotates out. Of course, that's assuming the show in question is even picked up by a streaming service to begin with.

Anyone who grew up in the purple-VHS days of early-90's anime buys disk.
No one who ever bought an classic ADV series in the late 90's/early 00's EVER buys digital.
We both old scarred war-vets, and know better. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7