• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
cutslo wrote:
Except this show is not set in the past, or even an universe that aspires to internal logic of any kind, it's set in the author's wet dreams. That is completely obvious 100% of the time and pretending that this is the one specific point that is there for "realism" is laughable.

The above dribble is so generic that any hater could use it to attack any series (anime or otherwise) with a medieval setting.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
cutslo wrote:
Except this show is not set in the past, or even an universe that aspires to internal logic of any kind, it's set in the author's wet dreams. That is completely obvious 100% of the time and pretending that this is the one specific point that is there for "realism" is laughable.

It is an medieval setting, So there shouldn't be any problems with including all the bad and good things from a medieval setting. You just don't like the subject matter, and there is nothing wrong with that. But such things sit well with the setting.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Might be too bland and unexciting for others, but I really like the relaxing pace where you don't have to think too much. Sets it apart, which makes it interesting IMO. "New Game+" FTW!
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This latest review reads like it came from someone who was determined to rip a series, facts be damned. I don't begrudge a reviewer not liking something, but I draw the line when aspersions and hyperbole are more important than facts. At the risk of seeming like Comic Book Guy...
Christopher Farris wrote:
Touya doesn't really encounter problems in his life so much as run into incidents that other people are having so he can instantly fix them and endear himself to them. Every woman in the royal court starts blushing and falling all over themselves once he heals the King..

Yeah, Touya's an OP MC, but that's hardly news four episodes in, right? And "Every woman in the royal court" sounds so much more damning than "Charlotte, the court mage". There are only two women present at that time, the queen and Charlotte, and the queen merely gives a slight bow as thanks for saving her husband's life. Readers of the LNs and viewers who actually listened to Charlotte's lines might see her getting in Touya's face and asking questions about his abilities as reflecting her interest in magical research rather than "dumb" plot magic.
Quote:
If the absurd gifts of strength, magic, and unlimited night and weekend minutes weren't enough, Touya now has state-sanctioned pedophilia on his side.

Pedophilia is an adult having sexual desires for prepubescent children. There is no pedophilia shown in this anime. Even if you accept that Touya is an adult by the standards of his new world, he's shown no sexual interest in preteens. When the king and queen describe getting married at 14, that's a child marriage, not pedophilia. Also, spoiler[in the LNs the king explicitly mentions that Yumina has experienced menarche. This middle ages sales pitch doesn't convince Touya but it does infuriate Yumina.]
Quote:
Even God calls him up to encourage him to bang a twelve-year-old girl!

Um, no. God says that he wishes for Touya to be happy and that he's rooting for him. He doesn't mention sex at all. Apparently the idea that there might be other reasons for people to get married besides "banging" is a foreign concept for the reviewer. This outrage over (nonexistent) sex is particularly odd when reviewing an anime series whose rare forays into fan service have been remarkably tame.
Quote:
They also slip in that the relationship standard in the world is polygyny (not polygamy mind you, but very specifically polygyny: one dude taking multiple wives only). So hey, at least the show has launched headfirst into territory gross enough that I can finally take it to task without feeling like I was being too hard on it.

OMG, people in the middle ages aren't fighting the patriarchy? Is there no end to the horror of this anime?
Quote:
I'll take Touya cranking out shogi boards again next week if it means I don't have to deal with God calling him up and telling him to build a harem of preteens.

No argument over Touya's party as a (G-rated) harem -- this actually generates several humorous scenes in the LNs -- but Yumina is the only preteen involved. Yae is old enough to take off wandering the world to hone her martial arts skills. Elze and Linze meet Touya as they're starting their careers as adventurers. By the standards of the middle ages and their world they are adults.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Touya saves another dying person, he captures an assasin, and Yumina the princess wants to marry him. Oh, and Yumina is twelve ... okay this show might be going a bit far on the wish fulfillment. Still it is played for comedy and the part where God calls him to say that he can have all the wives he wants got a laugh out of me. Than of course Touya summons a heavenly beast and literally knocks it out by touching it since he is so magically powerful. This show is about as subtle as a sledgehammer but that is what makes it fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
On the young wife thing, for me it brings to mind season 2 of Gate, which had a fairly young girl show that she was not a victim of the practice, and gladly wanted to partake in the practice of getting married as per her culture, with a maturity and understanding that made her a strong character. It would have been nice here if the princess character showed a shred of that sort of strength. Her also making me contrast her to specifically Crusch from Re:Zero and I think how a similar trait was used where one is a well realised character, and the other just a bunch of traits. I think it is maybe extra sad that I could see how the princess could be made into a good character, here is hoping that princess does not mean she will often become a damsel in distress.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The glories of censorship. We are no longer allowed to include the bad things of the past in modern writings, even if they take place in a fictional past or alt past.

I am just saying that it shouldn't unexpected or unrealistic for a medieval set piece to feature such things. Our society is so perverse in its aversion to featuring harm to children, that they would gladly "pretend" that such things didn't happen in the past and be willing to censor the past to reflect that mindset. Much like the clamor over Made in Abyss.

It is entirely possible to write a world that features things like children getting married. The most obvious example in the western world is Game of Thrones which includes the usual anime issues like having sex with children and incest. The difference between Game of Thrones and most anime with these things is that GoT does not portray these issues as being hot.

Other than that watching children suffer is just something that most people generally don't enjoy even if they don't consider it to be morally wrong. People would have similar reactions watching cute animals suffer. Not liking something or giving it a negative review because it has elements that you don't like is not censorship.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it is censorship, TarsTarkas, but I do agree with your general frustration.

Hopefully we can all agree that young people should not be married, while also acknowledging that until veeery recently in human history this was not uncommon and in fact was even normal.

Worth pointing out that Marie Antoinette got married when she was fourteen (though admittedly it wasn't consummated for seven years because of Reasons). And the eighteenth century was well past the medieval period.

So a medieval setting that has people marrying young? Hardly the most shocking thing that ever happened. That doesn't make it morally right, mind you, just something that was accepted by the people of the day.

I think the more unrealistic thing is that a prince/princess would marry a commoner, which is such a cliched trope in fantasy fiction that everyone accepts it without batting an eyelid (thanks Disney).

Anyway, the reviewer marking a medieval-themed show down for having barbaric marriage practices does seem like 21st century projection upon a less cultured people. I mean, you wouldn't watch a show about the Spartans or Romans and demand there should be no slavery, would you? Just because we know it's bad doesn't mean they knew.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
On the young wife thing, for me it brings to mind season 2 of Gate, which had a fairly young girl show that she was not a victim of the practice, and gladly wanted to partake in the practice of getting married as per her culture, with a maturity and understanding that made her a strong character. It would have been nice here if the princess character showed a shred of that sort of strength. Her also making me contrast her to specifically Crusch from Re:Zero and I think how a similar trait was used where one is a well realised character, and the other just a bunch of traits. I think it is maybe extra sad that I could see how the princess could be made into a good character, here is hoping that princess does not mean she will often become a damsel in distress.
Yumina seemed pretty strong in the battle with a combination of dark magic and summoning. As for how they handled the issue of child marriage I think with Yumina it was mostly comedic while in Gate it was taken seriously.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
I don't have a huge problem with the idea of teenagers marrying young as presented by the show because it's played for harmless laughs, imo. However, those who defend the inclusion of the concept because "that's how it was in Earth's real past" are missing the point. This show is hardly trying to recreate medieval Earth societies in a realistic way. There was zero requirement to ever broach the topic of young teenagers getting married. Fine, they did it for the (theoretical) lulz, but those who are conceptually squicked out about that have every right to assert today's standards with respect to a fantasy show that had no obligation in any sense to go there.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
cutslo wrote:

It is an medieval setting, So there shouldn't be any problems with including all the bad and good things from a medieval setting. You just don't like the subject matter, and there is nothing wrong with that. But such things sit well with the setting.

I'm sorry but this explanation doesn't work in this scenario. The story has taken a modern man with modern knowledge and values and deposited him into a fantasy setting that may be based on medieval times. That does not allow the modern man to abandon all values of modernity and avoid being judged by modern sensibilities.

If these were all characters from medieval times, this could be a credible argument, but they are not. As others have mentioned, this is really just wish fulfillment where a modern person can imagine themselves being in a situation where society would push a child bride upon them. For a lot of people, it's not a thing they are into so I think they are justified in raising it as a problem. The fact that God himself somehow sanctions this and encourages the MC to partake is just taking things over the top to hammer home the writer's post hoc justification. I mean yes, these types of stories always have the MC pretend to be against doing whatever taboo thing is being pushed upon him in the story to try and keep him as the "innocent" guy who just has kinky things happen to him by pure happenstance, but to have God come in and validate his innocence is taking things to a level I think we have never witnessed before. I'll at least give the author credit for the level of chutzpah.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't have a huge problem with the idea of teenagers marrying young as presented by the show because it's played for harmless laughs, imo. However, those who defend the inclusion of the concept because "that's how it was in Earth's real past" are missing the point. This show is hardly trying to recreate medieval Earth societies in a realistic way. There was zero requirement to ever broach the topic of young teenagers getting married. Fine, they did it for the (theoretical) lulz, but those who are conceptually squicked out about that have every right to assert today's standards with respect to a fantasy show that had no obligation in any sense to go there.
I think the exaggeration in the review was a bit much. I can understand when someone gets angry over that issue but the review for this episode was so different from what I watched that it felt like it was for a different show. To hate the episode because of that issue is okay but a review should try to be factually accurate.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I'm sorry but this explanation doesn't work in this scenario. The story has taken a modern man with modern knowledge and values and deposited him into a fantasy setting that may be based on medieval times. That does not allow the modern man to abandon all values of modernity and avoid being judged by modern sensibilities.

If these were all characters from medieval times, this could be a credible argument, but they are not. As others have mentioned, this is really just wish fulfillment where a modern person can imagine themselves being in a situation where society would push a child bride upon them. For a lot of people, it's not a thing they are into so I think they are justified in raising it as a problem. The fact that God himself somehow sanctions this and encourages the MC to partake is just taking things over the top to hammer home the writer's post hoc justification. I mean yes, these types of stories always have the MC pretend to be against doing whatever taboo thing is being pushed upon him in the story to try and keep him as the "innocent" guy who just has kinky things happen to him by pure happenstance, but to have God come in and validate his innocence is taking things to a level I think we have never witnessed before. I'll at least give the author credit for the level of chutzpah.

While I do think pushing him to marry Yumina is wish fulfillment to some degree, it is because she is the princess not because she is twelve. None of the other characters are that young and she has not been the subject of fanservice, though there isn't much fanservice in the show anyhow and what fanservice there is is fairly mild. Tenshi 3P this ain't. Why do you believe that it is trying to appeal to lolicons and not merely there to produce "Do Not Want!" comedic moments? Also I think God was saying it was ok to have multiple wives, not that he could have relations with a 12 yo.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
I more or less agree with Blood-. The fantasy setting may look like it's somewhat based on medieval times but that doesn't mean girls marrying at the age of 12 can be just handwaved away because it comes with the territory or something.

I'm not bothered by the whole marriage development myself. I actually found it kind of funny and endearing. I just don't find the comparison to our world's past as a convincing argument.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

While I do think pushing him to marry Yumina is wish fulfillment to some degree, it is because she is the princess not because she is twelve. None of the other characters are that young and she has not been the subject of fanservice, though there isn't much fanservice in the show anyhow and what fanservice there is is fairly mild. Tenshi 3P this ain't. Why do you believe that it is trying to appeal to lolicons and not merely there to produce "Do Not Want!" comedic moments? Also I think God was saying it was ok to have multiple wives, not that he could have relations with a 12 yo.

The character is written as being 12 years old. The story goes out of its way to say that marrying a 12 year old is perfectly A OK in this fantasy world (never before has the term "fantasy world" been so appropriate!) So no, it is not just some random coincidence that the girl just happens to be 12. It always amazes me when people act like deliberately written plot or character details are just random occurrences or accidents of luck, like the author wrote this story and then used a random number generator to determine the girl's age. People need to understand that with most writing, every single detail is considered and intentional, especially something of this magnitude. The author knew it would be taboo but he specifically wanted his self insert hero to have a child bride. You can make of that whatever you want and I think people can think it's fun or goofy or exciting or whatever, but I also think the negative reaction is totally legit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12