• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Keijo Won the Gold in Fanservice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
As opposed to the average Yuri on Ice fan...

Generalizations are fun.

As for this, this is stupid. (Duh). They do put a lot of effort into justifying the fictional sport, but let's face it, how do you think it became so popular in the first place in-universe? It's like that old Robin Williams bit about people who watch boxing. "I watch boxing for the sport of boxing. That's like saying I watch stock car racing to see people take left turns all day." You watch boxing and MMA to see someone get their ass beat, and you would (theoretically) see Keijo the sport in-universe for boobs and butts.

But it's no less stupid than the anime hailed as stunning and progressive for doing the exact same crap with men. I mean that. It's two sides of the same coin, and both sides need to realize that.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, think I touched a nerve.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Here I thought I would have to speculate on some Keijo!!!!!!!! critics' disdain and condescension towards fans of the show. Seems one has proven the point for me. That or they are just a troll.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Both are stupid. But I get annoyed when someone thinks their stupidity is hailed as more pure or better because it's dudes being objectified.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Never thought i'd see the day someone took a Father Ted joke too seriously...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
People have that reaction non-ironically.

It's also worth noting that in-Universe, someone could probably debate Keijo the sport the exact same way and that's kinda funny. You know Tumblr would be bashing it endlessly.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I get the distinct impression you take all this a drab too seriously, laddy....

"in-universe" indeed.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
A silly premise is a silly premise. Having it involve men or women is all the same silliness.

That's my view anyway.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Keijo! Rises above much fanservice anime by not feeling like it's coated in a thin layer of grime. Most the worst fanservice anime relies on their girls getting assaulted in some way; "accidental" tit grabs, crotch faceplants, their clothes being ripped off and then pinned to the ground, but in Keijo all the women are consenting, willing participants in the action. No one is getting molested against their will. It's nice, and I'd like to see them do this kind of fanservice more.

A true connoisseur of fanservice does not discriminate between the different types. Any type of fan services is valid and depends on your mood for the day on what you want to watch.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Oh hey I found the average Keijo fan...

Down with this sort of thing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Careful. Too much of this would give the wrong message that all girls are loose and slutty. I still embrace anime's penchant for glorifying prim, pure and proper women who has yet to be tainted by the "realities" of sexuality.

...have you ever so much as talked to an actual female? Dear lord.

Lord Oink wrote:
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Keijo! Rises above much fanservice anime by not feeling like it's coated in a thin layer of grime. Most the worst fanservice anime relies on their girls getting assaulted in some way; "accidental" tit grabs, crotch faceplants, their clothes being ripped off and then pinned to the ground, but in Keijo all the women are consenting, willing participants in the action. No one is getting molested against their will. It's nice, and I'd like to see them do this kind of fanservice more.

A true connoisseur of fanservice does not discriminate between the different types. Any type of fan services is valid and depends on your mood for the day on what you want to watch.

Ah yes, the "true connoisseur" who enjoys partaking in skeevy gross depictions of women. And people wonder why otaku have such a terrible reputation.

That aside, although I could never see myself watching a show like Keijo, I'm getting the same favorable vibe from it that I got from everyone's reactions to Monster Musume: namely, that it's an overall sex-positive presentation that genuinely has fun with its premise while still managing to respect its characters. If I was going to actually seek out a fanservice-heavy show, this is the sort of thing that would be a definite prerequisite.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
As for this, this is stupid. (Duh). They do put a lot of effort into justifying the fictional sport, but let's face it, how do you think it became so popular in the first place in-universe? It's like that old Robin Williams bit about people who watch boxing. "I watch boxing for the sport of boxing. That's like saying I watch stock car racing to see people take left turns all day." You watch boxing and MMA to see someone get their ass beat, and you would (theoretically) see Keijo the sport in-universe for boobs and butts.

But it's no less stupid than the anime hailed as stunning and progressive for doing the exact same crap with men. I mean that. It's two sides of the same coin, and both sides need to realize that.

Explain then why I like watching football, or swimming, or basketball. Do I like 22 guys kicking balls forward until they reach a goalpost? Do I like watching semi-naked people navigating through water? Do I like tall guys jumping to reach a ring?

If you enjoy your sports (or anime) that way, then fine, don't go on patronizing on everybody else, I don't tell you why you should enjoy whatever you watch. Your assumption of how a fictional (and above all, impossible) sport would work in reality sounds like you're trying to contrafactually prove your point needlessly.

People would turn around to see anything with the visual presentation of Keijo without the need of it being real (except, lingerie ads exist), but what makes Keijo different above everything else is that it isn't presumptuous in that way, from its setting to its official merchandising, it won't lie to you and say that this is a grand epic story, it goes to the basic core of what it makes it popular, it isn't hypocritic on why it makes itself popular and gives it a fun twist to it.

Namely, the pro level of Keijo is characterized by bets, and most of its public IS actually horny guys, though most of them do have a lot of knowledge on the sport itself. And, in all matches, the girls make an exhibition run so people will choose who to bet on. Perhaps this might be the most ironic thing about it, in the sense that everybody talk with the same straight face as a teacher talking about "Asstronomy" while also being clearly turned on by the girls themselves.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ah yes, the "true connoisseur" who enjoys partaking in skeevy gross depictions of women. And people wonder why otaku have such a terrible reputation.

The bad reputation of anime otaku have noting to do with fanservice. Is more because otaku is out of Japanese norm. They are viewed as man-child/woman-child shut-ins and nerds that love anime and manga. People said they should let go of that childish hobby and start working and contribute to the society.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ah yes, the "true connoisseur" who enjoys partaking in skeevy gross depictions of women. And people wonder why otaku have such a terrible reputation

If people find that off-putting they're probably in the wrong hobby, and if they're not fans to begin with then who cares what they think? I haven't cared what my peers think since middle school.

Besides, how is stuff like this not 'voyeristic keyhole' viewing or whatever?

https://youtu.be/inpdRyf_EcU

You could easily say it's mimicing some kid breaking into a girls-only gym class to spy on them, and the low angle shots of their butts is 'male gaze' remeniscent of upskirting angle shots. Did these girls 'consent' to guys laying down staring up at them as they work out?

Valhern wrote:
People would turn around to see anything with the visual presentation of Keijo without the need of it being real (except, lingerie ads exist), but what makes Keijo different above everything else is that it isn't presumptuous in that way, from its setting to its official merchandising, it won't lie to you and say that this is a grand epic story, it goes to the basic core of what it makes it popular, it isn't hypocritic on why it makes itself popular and gives it a fun twist to it.

How is a show lying or hypocritical if it has plot and fanservice? How does Keijo merchandise not lie compared to other fanservice merchandise? How does a show or merchandise lie to begin with? The whole argument of Keijo being honest or self-aware makes no sense, let alone acting like Keijo has no plot to begin with. It may not be an epic saving the world plot line but it's still a plot line like any other sports show of being the best.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Ah yes, the "true connoisseur" who enjoys partaking in skeevy gross depictions of women. And people wonder why otaku have such a terrible reputation

If people find that off-putting they're probably in the wrong hobby, and if they're not fans to begin with then who cares what they think? I haven't cared what my peers think since middle school.

The amount of disks on my shelves suggest I'm in the right hobby, and that I can be in said hobby without partaking in juvenile (or even flat-out disgusting) depictions of the opposite gender. There are plenty of other fish in the sea.

And while you may take the edgy "I don't care what they think" route, keep in mind that what you consume and how you present yourself definitely affects other people's perceptions of you, in ways that can in turn affect you. Try walking up to a random female acquaintance of yours and saying with a smile, "I like watching Japanese cartoons with high school girls getting their boobs groped!" I'm sure they'll be proud of you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7