• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show -The Worst Anime of All Time

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I was hesitant to post because I have not watched much bad anime (at least that is what I believe), but there is an anime that bothered me.

My least liked anime I have watched is Gundam 00's A Awakening of the Trailblazer. This movie is not the worst anime ever made, but it bothered me and found it largely pointless (even though I am Gundam fan).

And like others here, I will probably never watch the worst anime ever made because when I come across what seems like awful anime, I usually do not bother to watch it in its entity.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty hard for me to name any objectively bad anime, because, while I may dislike something, I am usually able to find at least a few redeeming qualities.

I can't stand boring anime, however (poor animation, too). When it comes to boring anime, look no further than The Humanoid: only 45 minutes, feels like 3 hours. Lazy animation, boring character designs, and a plot so generic and inconsequential I can't even remember it!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to find some Plan 9 level bad suggestions in the comments, but it's mostly just people saying what anime they don't like. Sad Also, using the word "sheeple" in an entertainment thread is the equivalent of Godwining a political discussion. Nothing you say after that can be taken seriously.

My personal worst is Garzey's Wing (dub for extra wtf). Having seen Dunbine first couldn't save it (I didn't know they were related), since it's not the plot questions that are the problem, it's pretty much everything. I definitely plan to seek out some of Mike's offerings though, so that could change. Very Happy Some of the Ken plots actually sounded kind of interesting (especially the mental patient one).

diadumenian wrote:
Which episode of Wizard Barristers is the particularly bad one?

Episode 11. There were long static filler shots that did not reflect the dialog (we don't have the animation done! put up a picture, any picture!), reused sequences that didn't fit either, and a host of other problems that were just jaw-dropping in that they bothered to air the thing at all. Here's a sample (if you don't want to be spoiled, put something over the subtitles). If the entire series had been done like this, I think it might have surpassed Garzey on my worst list. Smile
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was hoping to find some Plan 9 level bad suggestions in the comments, but it's mostly just people saying what anime they don't like. Sad Also, using the word "sheeple" in an entertainment thread is the equivalent of Godwining a political discussion. Nothing you say after that can be taken seriously.

I think before that, being okay with anime being banned because you consider it to be 'bad' already tells you all you need to know about a person.

OT,
I think most flash anime would also fit nicely, or shows like Vampire Holmes or Pupa.
If you want full-length shows with that kind of quality, you really need to go back and find those shitty '80/'90s ovas.
InuKag1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Ayashi no Ceres and Fooly Cooly definitely. That whole "marrying within the family" thing never appealed to me, which is why I didn't get very far with Ayashi no Ceres; I think i stopped when her brother started to have feelings for her because of some spell. And Fooly Cooly just didn't make any sense, one of those pointless shows with no clear plot
InuKag1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
A few shows come to mind for me. Two in particular. Infinite Stratos is without a doubt the most annoying garbage I've had the displeasure of sitting through.
The only reason I finished it was because my friends seemed to like it so I thought there would at least be something in the show to redeem itself because I was familiar with their taste... there was nothing. I won't even dare and try Infinite Stratos 2.

Also... Evangelion. Yes I know it was a groundbreaking show and pretty much everybody seems to praise it, but for me personally there wasn't a single episode that I enjoyed. It's not as 'bad' as Infinite Stratos, but instead it was way more 'boring'. I was bored out of my mind when I tried to watch it, I don't remember how and why I got through the whole show.
I have no problem with people liking this show because I appreciate what it did within the anime industry, but this was definitely not a show for me and I don't wish to ever see it again.

For the rest there's Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Kotoura-san, Blood-C and, as featured in the article, Skelter Heaven, but Infinite Stratos still remains the worst of all.
Yep you definitely got my vote for Infinite Stratos, completely pointless
D-Rock

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The worst anime I've ever seen were Rosario x Vampire, Haganai, Baka and Test, and this one short movie (ugh). I can't remember the name, but in it the characters are in this space prison and these two characters have sex in their sleeping bags. At the end spoiler[she ended up giving birth to an adult male] and... well, I can't remember much, but none of it made any sense. The animation was a bit 'crazy', almost on par with Kill la Kill. If someone could try to help me remember, that'd be appreciated.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if it's up there with the worst stuff of all time, but the worst anime I've seen would probably be last year's Dai Shogun: Great Revolution. I sat through the whole thing just to see how much of a trainwreck it would be overall and whooo boy, it was a big one. J.C. Staff has had their share of production issues from time to time, but that show was an animation disaster. Heck even calling it an "animation" disaster is generous because it was barely animated at all. The plot is almost just as bad, barely making any sense in regards to what the point of it was and featured the most horrendous "sexy vamp" caricature I've ever seen and it just comes off as unnecessarily gross.

Even the fanservice fest it's clearly meant to display falls apart as the animation's so terrible it comes off as an unintentional joke and goes too far with trying to make all the girls "sexy" (looking at you titty grandma). Literally the only redeemable quality it has is the character designs and even those aren't particularly great. To make matters worse it was helmed by Dai Sato aka the guy behind Eureka Seven and you really have to wonder what the heck happened to have him put behind this travesty of all things.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
I think most flash anime would also fit nicely...

I have to disagree with that. I'm not sure it's fair to trash it because of the medium itself. Flash is Flash and you have to work within its limits. What you do within those limits determines if it's bad or good. Calling something out just for being done in Flash is kind of like saying 8-bit games are all bad because they're 8-bit, or South Park is bad because paper-cutout animation.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate Girls deserves to be in contention. Magical girls who gain power from having their clothes disintegrated and fight monsters of the day with semen guns and yanking on their "core" between their legs. It's utter trash.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Lol wow people listing Evangelion, Yuri Kuma, Kill La Kill, FLCL, Le Chevelair D'eon, Haruhi and K-on! the worst anime ever? Rolling Eyes Just because you don't like angst, fanservice, yaoi, yuri or moe doesn't make something bad. There are far worse shows like those, people are just aiming at what they know is popular for attention. Brain PowerD is a bad Evangelion. Hakkyu is a bad K-on!, etc.

These people should really actually go watch something like Twinkle Nora Rock Me! or Garzey's Wing. It's like the people saying Jurassic World or something is 'the worst movie they've ever seen' so they can be noticed and be controversial. Really, truly bad stuff is going to be obscure because of it being so bad. Batman and Robin is silly, but it's not near as bad as some of the horror movies of that era. Maybe I have a soft spot for laughing at bad things. On that note Angel Cop is brilliant! With the dub on it was actually funny enough to keep me going through the whole thing. Ofc too bad stuff is WAY better to watch with friends.

Last edited by Lili-Hime on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onrack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
So far the worst I've seen is 'Blame'. It was incomprehensible, and not in a good way like FLCL or Cat Soup. I ended up with a headache and the desire for a strong drink.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about calling it the worst of all time (because it did have some catchy music), but seeing as how it was a sequel to one of my favorite anime of the '80s, I feel the need to mention Bubblegum Crap, err, Bubblegum Crash! Compared to the Crisis series, everything about Crash! was so lazy that I think it is best forgotten.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch bad anime, but I have seen one that I consider the worst: Ijime. It's basically a 10 minute moefied after school special about a queen bee and her posse who mercilessly bully a girl over stupid things, and then said queen bee gets bullied after her family loses their money. It's just absolutely awful on every level: the animation, the voice acting, the INSANE amounts of facepalm-inducing melodrama (the reasons the queen bee bullies said girl in the first place are 1. bumping into her in the hall way and 2. Messing up her shirt. Yes, I kid you not), the HUGE eyes, the absolutely horrible handling of serious subject matter...it made me want to puke! Seriously, I can write a better story about bullying than this!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm lenient when it comes to liking or disliking a series or OAV. It has to be bad on many fronts - writing, animation, voice acting and pace. And the one anime where it fails on all fronts is one that was brought up in an earlier post: PUPA. It is the absolute worse anime I've seen so far. I have a bald spot from scratching my head wondering why it was ever made in the first place; Jesus H Cheesecake! It boggles my mind!

Others that may not come close, but in my eyes are plain awful anyway:

Lime-iro Senkitan (talk about bad pacing)
Isuca (look up 'generic anime' and this one currently heads the list)
Akikan! (there's only been a few times I wanted to reach in and strangle the male lead, I'm looking at you Dears, but this one....)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15