• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA Adds Chronicles of the Going Home Club Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
While I am one of the people who liked the Girls und Panzer dub (At the very least it's worlds better than 95% of Sentai dubs) that's a dumb statement.

Nope. It meets every single criteria for being classified as a good dub regardless of what anyone could think of it personally.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And that applies to the rest of US anime industry as well - obviously they are making more money out of the dubs (as evidenced by Sentai going back and dubbing their early sub-only releases) and how they're doing now with releases, as they can afford more and more licenses than others.

True for some of them, but at the same time, they have also released blu-rays of their sub-only titles, something they said a couple years ago they would not do, where they have kept BDs reserved for dubs only. Also, Funimation has broken their dub-everything policy and released a sub-only title, OniAi, which interestingly has sold out on rightstuf. Basically dubs are evaluated on a case by case basis. If dubs always made more money, everyone would be doing it for every title.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

Nope. It meets every single criteria for being classified as a good dub regardless of what anyone could think of it personally.

Not really, but feel free keep living in your own little fantasy world with regards to that dub.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
1. I don't consider the act of Funimation STARTING to offer premium releases to be "radical change" (nor would anyone else who is sane). Like I have already stated, the majority of the releases that they put out are the same barebones-type releases that they have been putting out for years.
You don't consider Funimation releasing a sub-only bluray and real LEs, something that they haven't done ever, to be radical change? Regardless, it is change. The other companies in North America are making changes to jockey for more market share and NISA is standing pat.

I'll stand by my offer to buy a dubbed NISA release, if they ever decide to stop yanking our (dub fans) chain and actually release one. I don't think that the apparent success of OniAi for Funimation bodes well for NISA (as a dub fan, I also see the writing on the wall here). The more successful Funimation's sub-only release of a niche show is, the more Funimation will pursue those niche shows, I believe that is a given (same goes for Sentai). Himeko90, you seem pretty stalwart (and strident) in your belief that NISA's niche is unassailable, that the other anime companies can't touch it and that NISA's situation will chug along unchanged. Maybe it can, but I very much doubt it. To do the quote thing, "Change alone is unchanging" <-Heraclitus
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Also, Funimation has broken their dub-everything policy and released a sub-only title, OniAi, which interestingly has sold out on rightstuf.

when was this? I just now checked rightstuf and I didn't see anything that said sold out on the product page
Himeko90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
You don't consider Funimation releasing a sub-only bluray and real LEs, something that they haven't done ever, to be radical change? Regardless, it is change. The other companies in North America are making changes to jockey for more market share and NISA is standing pat.

Yeah, don't see Sentai Filmworks doing anything different or subscribing to this "change" that you speak of. lol

Quote:

I'll stand by my offer to buy a dubbed NISA release, if they ever decide to stop yanking our (dub fans) chain and actually release one. I don't think that the apparent success of OniAi for Funimation bodes well for NISA (as a dub fan, I also see the writing on the wall here). The more successful Funimation's sub-only release of a niche show is, the more Funimation will pursue those niche shows, I believe that is a given (same goes for Sentai). Himeko90, you seem pretty stalwart (and strident) in your belief that NISA's niche is unassailable, that the other anime companies can't touch it and that NISA's situation will chug along unchanged. Maybe it can, but I very much doubt it. To do the quote thing, "Change alone is unchanging" <-Heraclitus

I'll just leave this here.........

Quote:
2. Considering the fact that NIS has the exclusive rights to distribute the titles that they have and have a loyal base that is willing to put up the money for their releases CONSISTENTLY (which can't be said for the dub-watching half of the community), your quote does not apply to this situation. The Anime industry is not like the car industry, within which, multiple companies are offering essentially the same types of products that have the same functions and features (last time I checked, you can't get a specific series from just anyone in the Anime industry).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
Not commenting on the quality of the show since I haven't seen it, but I wonder how much it will take before Blood- withdraws his pledge to buy every NISA premium edition. I like almost everything they have put out so far, and still need to buy a few of them, but there has to be a breaking point. Could this be it?

I did watch most of the first eppie of this before dropping it. It wasn't that I found it terrible, it just wasn't floating my boat and its not like I didn't have enough to watch. So no, I don't see this being my NISA pledge-breaker. Wink

The title that could very well do that - and I have nightmares about it - is if NISA ever picks up Chihayafuru. This is a much beloved show by virtually everyone who has ever seen it - except me. I plowed through the first two-and-a-half eppies before giving up in disgruntlement. Since that time I have developed a loathing for it that I cheerfully admit is pathologically unhinged and not merited. But there you have it.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
configspace wrote:
Also, Funimation has broken their dub-everything policy and released a sub-only title, OniAi, which interestingly has sold out on rightstuf.

when was this? I just now checked rightstuf and I didn't see anything that said sold out on the product page
Indeed, OniAi is sold out on rightstuf and amazon. Not one seller on amazon has OniAi in stock. Product Availability - More Arriving Soon! on rightstuf, where I got mine.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
In the TRSIverse, More Arriving Soon! has a very different meaning than Sold Out. The first refers to the fact they have to simply refresh their stock. The second means they may not ever be getting additional copies (but then again, they may).
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Himeko90, I read it the first time. Bolding it, and "leaving it here" when it has already been "left here", doesn't change anything.

Maybe NISA can maintain its exclusivity. If it can, is that enough to save it? "Shows that won't sell enough to support dubs, released on sub-only bluray" is a niche market and Funimation and Sentai are cutting into it. There are those who buy every NISA release just because it is NISA (ie:diehard fanboys) but I am certain that there are those, and many more of them, who buy only the NISA releases that appeal to them. Can those groups of NISA purchasers still support NISA as much as they are today in a future where Funimation pumps out some very appealing LEs that are as good if not better? NISA doesn't sound like they can afford to lose any ground here.

Funimation is experimenting with sub-only, and it looks to be a success. Sentai is expanding its experimentation with sub-only and it too looks to be a success. With all of these successful experiments going on, now seems like the time for NISA to finally release that experimental dub that it has been teasing us with for the past few years. NISA is already on dangerous ground just being a North American branch of a Japanese company; Wasn't Bandai's American branch still profitable when the Japanese killed it?

If you want NISA's fledgling anime branch to survive it probably wouldn't hurt to see it thrive.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
@ Echo_City - I don't think your contention that Funi and Sentai are cutting into NISA's niche really holds up. If you dug The Eccentric Family, then NISA is going to be the only place you'll be able to buy it. The fact that Sentai (and now occasionally, Funi, I guess) releases other titles sub-only on BD doesn't really mean shit for NISA. It's really about whether or not the titles they acquire are appealing enough to sustain its niche in what is already a niche market.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Echo_City - I don't think your contention that Funi and Sentai are cutting into NISA's niche really holds up. If you dug The Eccentric Family, then NISA is going to be the only place you'll be able to buy it. The fact that Sentai (and now occasionally, Funi, I guess) releases other titles sub-only on BD doesn't really mean shit for NISA. It's really about whether or not the titles they acquire are appealing enough to sustain its niche in what is already a niche market.

THIS SO MUCH.

Seriously, I don't know how many times I need to explain and/or rephrase this for Echo_City. As long as NISA continues to pick up series that people want, it doesn't matter that Funimation is STARTING to do premium or sub-only releases because you will only be able to buy the series in question from NISA. This is why I brought up the car industry comparison (you can't just buy a specific show from anyone).

At the end of the day, Echo_City's "NISA needs to do dubs! The other companies are eating their lunch!" argument is full of holes and doesn't hold water in my book. As long as they continue to license series that people want, they don't need to worry about what the other companies are doing (by the way, Sentai doesn't do premium releases, so I don't know why he keeps bringing them up). Given that fact, NISA's devoted base (most of whom don't give a damn about dubs), and the reality that the people running that company seem to be content with where they are within the Anime industry with regards to size, there is no need for them to add dubs (that may be a kick in the pants for dub lovers like Echo_City, but that is just how it is). Ultimately, if what they are doing currently is working for them (which it is) then they don't need to mess around with it.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
I haven't really paid attention to this show, but it sounds amusing. I do like NISA releases. I don't have every one like Blood-(I applaud your dedication), but I do have a fair amount.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
Just to clarify: I don't currently own every NISA title. It's just that I do plan to buy everything eventually. I think the only 2013 release I have is Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl. I generally only move when I get wind that a title is going OOP or in the very rare times when a title goes on sale.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:

Not really, but feel free keep living in your own little fantasy world with regards to that dub.

It has perfect casting, where every character sounds and acts like they are intended to be. The performances are top notch. Audio quality is stellar. No butchering or other modifications to the script. Lip flaps are matched near perfectly.

There's nothing wrong with it. It sounds great and provides the same experience as the original audio, except without all the reading.

It's an objectively good dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5