• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Otaku from 100 Countries Voice Which Characters They Want to Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
If I had to pick an anime guy it would have to be the man that Takashi Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends) will grow up to be. Because he seems like a truly kind, compassionate individual and I actually like the character as a person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
My favorite girls are Tohsaka Rin, Hyuuga Hinata, Erza Scarlet, Nakano Azusa, Izumi Konata and Kirino Kousaka (haters gonna hate). I would love to date those girls. Anime catgrin
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
FLAZE35 wrote:
Are they sure they asked otakus and not people who just watch mainstream?

Well you know how all the people who only watch mainstream think they are otaku when they really aren't. A better question would be "for those of you who keeps up to date on current anime and not just watch bleach, one piece, naruto, fairy tail.......who do you want to date?"
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
FLAZE35 wrote:

Well you know how all the people who only watch mainstream think they are otaku when they really aren't. A better question would be "for those of you who keeps up to date on current anime and not just watch bleach, one piece, naruto, fairy tail.......who do you want to date?"

Apparently, you're not a true otaku if you watch mainstream. And anime fans wonder why nobody likes us. That seriously is the most elitist way of thinking. I am sick of saying that if I like something like "Naruto" or "Dragon Ball," I get some pretentious weeaboo hipster lecturing me on how "Mars of Destruction" is the greatest anime ever and that I'm some kind of wannabe for *gasp* liking a popular series.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't consider any of Spice and Wolf, Oreimo, High School DxD, or K-ON! to be "mainstream" titles; in fact, the latter three are hard-core otaku titles. I do agree that the other titles are benefiting from being widely-known to the international otaku community, but that hardly makes the entire list "mainstream."

Not surprised to see Ruri/Kuroneko make the list over Kirino. She has consistently beaten Kirino in character popularity polls (in fact, Ayase sometimes beats Kirino out, too) and has been a fan favorite since the moment she first appeared.

Not surprised to see Asuna on top, either. She's pretty, capable (when the series allows her to be), loving, a gamer, and - perhaps most importantly to some - not above having sex with a guy she likes. What's not to like to an otaku guy?

And I am also quite happy (but surprised) to see Holo on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
What the hell do women see in these men? They're just a bunch of brooding loners who play by their own rules.

It is no coincidence, I think, that the first three guys are really good at and love housework. Wink
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
All that terrible taste in women. No Ritsu or Kurugaya? and why isn't Horo on top?

Just terrible.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I found it awesome that Lucy Heartfilia and Erza Scarlet made in the top 10. Those two have that persevering characteristic that I like very well.
Eri94

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Not surprised to see Asuna on top, either. She's pretty, capable (when the series allows her to be), loving, a gamer, and - perhaps most importantly to some - not above having sex with a guy she likes. What's not to like to an otaku guy?

This is all you people need to hear.
KN_guro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Saber would be my number 1 girl and Keisuke from TnC my number 1 guy. Asuna is kind of annoying and SAO is a boring anime. Bleh.
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
FLAZE35 wrote:

Don't give us that hipster crap. Sounds to me that you're just butthurt that your favorite didn't make the list.

This is what I hate about anime top tens. You'll always find that guy who complains about something mainstream being on the list. They're not the real otakus.

lol You mad? Yes, mainstream isn't my favorite (although I still read One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach). No, I'm not butt hurt. In fact, I prefer that my favorite not be on the list.

Edit (saw your later post): Did I ever say it was bad? Did I? I was simply questioning the accuracy of the title. I find mainstream anime to be an important part of the industry. Without it, many fans, including me, would never have gotten into anime in the first place. I was just surprised at the results.

Last edited by FLAZE35 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The bolded part alone would disqualify her with many otaku; their pure perfect waifu can't be "experienced" in any way. (Not my opinion, just saying "purity" is a desired commodity when it comes to drawings of fictional people.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Key wrote:

The bolded part alone would disqualify her with many otaku; their pure perfect waifu can't be "experienced" in any way. (Not my opinion, just saying "purity" is a desired commodity when it comes to drawings of fictional people.)

Hey, not just fictional! Haven't ya read the "Asian Women's Guide to Men" that's been passed down by philosopher for more than 2,000 years?! In East Asia at least. Here are the 14 rules, updated for modern times: Wink

• 1. You man is your king
    Never forget that your boyfriend gets top priority. More than yourself, your parents, your outside interests, and even your children, your man is the most important thing in your life.

• 2. Wake up early
    Be sure to rise before him in the morning so that you can make him a nice, healthy breakfast and ensure that he has a good start to his day. If he must wake up and leave the house before you, then have something already prepared and waiting for him in the kitchen.

• 3. Never nag him. Ever!
    Do not ever nag your man about something. If he wants to drink a lot after coming home, it’s all to do with his job. If he forgets to take out the garbage, then do it yourself instead.

• 4. Stay at home
    When he gets home from a busy day at work, try to be there for him. If you also have a job during the day, then get home as soon as possible.

• 5. Smile
    When your man returns home, greet him with a heartfelt smile. If you can, go the extra mile by bringing him a nice, cold drink while you’re at it.

• 6. Prepare dinner
    Because you’re already at home or should be getting there before him, make your man a delicious dinner that he can eat soon after returning. And, because he might be tired from work, try giving him a massage.

• 7. Let him go out with friends
    Don’t be mad if he wants to go out for an evening of poker or sports with his friends. See him off with a smile and show him you care by giving him a sandwich and a beer to take with him.

• 8. Ask first
    Whether you plan on using your significant other’s hard-earned money or cash from your own paycheck, be sure to ask first before buying anything for yourself.

• 9. Relinquish the remote
    Let your man decide what to watch on television. The TV is his and thus he should get to decide what channel to watch. The same goes for on-demand, movies, and rentals.

• 10. Be submissive!
    Don’t do anything he wouldn’t like, and never complain. If your man doesn’t want you to watch that one reality TV show or to go out drinking with your friends, then abide by his rules. This will bring both of you happiness.

• 11. Be wild in bed!
    Bewitch him. If your man likes sexy underwear, then wear some. Be shy and bashful in the company of others, but when the lights go out, go wild. He can make you happy; let him know that he’s the only man in the world for you.

• 12. Know your sports
    If you know a thing or two about sports, it makes for a good conversation topic. However, always allow him to start the discussions.

• 13. Stay fit
    Your man should be proud to call you his partner, so be aware of your body shape and always dress nicely.

• 14. Keep things clean
    Always keep the house sparkling clean. Do that, and your man will always want to stay with you. He shouldn’t have to go searching for clean socks and underwear. Finish all of the laundry and make sure that his shirts are neatly pressed.

Now ya too can understand East Asian societies! Very Happy
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Holo is the most human character on the list imho (despite not being technically human).

poonk wrote:
If I had to pick an anime guy it would have to be the man that Takashi Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends) will grow up to be. Because he seems like a truly kind, compassionate individual and I actually like the character as a person.

I'd have some interest in (a youngish) Natsume's grandmother, actually. Natsume's wimpy compassion makes me feel rather sorry for her...

Reiko: "Natsume, I bequeath to you the massive demon army I spent a lifetime assembling using my powers of awesome. My dying wish is for you to use it to conquer the world or something."
Natsume: "Go, demons! Be free!"

She must be rolling in her grave Anime cry.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Holo is the most human character on the list imho (despite not being technically human).

poonk wrote:

I'd have some interest in (a youngish) Natsume's grandmother, actually. Natsume's wimpy compassion makes me feel rather sorry for her...

Reiko: "Natsume, I bequeath to you the massive demon army I spent a lifetime assembling using my powers of awesome. My dying wish is for you to use it to conquer the world or something."
Natsume: "Go, demons! Be free!"

She must be rolling in her grave Anime cry.

Hinata is pretty human too. She's realistically too scared to fight and works to make herself better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6