• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 5.0 Layout Options

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
The layout you chose will be saved for your next visit (if you're logged in, it will be saved to your account, otherwise a cookie will be used).

Perhaps it is another bug, but despite what the article says the layout is still not saving (at least for me) when I return to the site in a new window, even though I am still logged in.

Last edited by Melicans on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
"List View" is just a crummier version, a simulacrum, of the old layout. Could it at least just give us the old layout? The main layout still looks like your webserver just barfed up its data onto my screen.

The layouts can be changed without having to log in. Would you (since I know that you could) also provide that option without having to log in? I don't know what "research" y'all are citing here but this site is microscopic on my screen, making it useless. The font sizing is also all screwed up, it looks jarring.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Did something change overnight with widths on the main page? I'm using the list+images view, and today the width given to the list items text is miniscule. As in, each headline is wrapping over 4 lines because there's so little space. This is in the top part of the list, where it's sharing the page with the feature list on the right. I'm using the default page width.

I understand the rational for the 100-character widths, but the way it's implemented now complicates things when some pages are primarily a single column, while others are multiple, yet they have to share the same page width. Right now the front page list items are getting ~25 characters per line only.

Personally I never understood the large scrollable banner thingie at the top of the main page. I seem to remember Zac calling it modern when it was introduced with ANN4 (I think) but I've always found it to be a usability liability. My standard way of interacting with the site is to go to the main page, scan the feature column on the right, then start going through the main list. This will discover everything I'm interested in with little effort... unless the link is hidden in one of the banner pages. That thing changes very infrequently, but I find myself always having to scroll through it just to make sure there's nothing new lurking in it. At least the thumbnails it had in v4 could sometimes help indicate a new page (unless it was using a regular image.) Now with ANN5 it's even bigger, and without the smaller thumbnails it's even less useful.

As for the good stuff, I too love the menus and the quick filter for the list. Huge improvement there. I also like the customizability you've given, with the 4 layout options and page widths. That said I almost never log in when browsing, so the page width setting is unavailable to me.

Maybe add an option for image sizes? Current or small? I don't have speed issues so I wouldn't mind if they are just downsized in the client, but I did prefer the older image sizes in general.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I can deal with the new upgrade, but I cannot deal with how they have completely borked the site for phones. Everything is just bizarrely squished into tiny spaces and zoomed in MASSIVELY for no good reason. I seriously hope this gets fixed soon because it's driving me crazy. It makes anything longer than 2-3 sentences an absolute pain to read because you have to scroll endlessly.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I love the new layout; I love the options; and I love all the thought you all put into it. Good work!
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I can deal with the new upgrade, but I cannot deal with how they have completely borked the site for phones. Everything is just bizarrely squished into tiny spaces and zoomed in MASSIVELY for no good reason. I seriously hope this gets fixed soon because it's driving me crazy. It makes anything longer than 2-3 sentences an absolute pain to read because you have to scroll endlessly.

really? I find the site 100 times easier to use on a tablet or phone. It looks better and so much easier to navigate on smaller devices then previously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

As I mentionned in PM, please tell me what phone you have and send me a screenshot.

We tested on a couple phones, and while the menu still needs work, for the most part we are quite happy.

This is what an article looks like on my phone:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5