• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone bothered by incestuous relationships in some anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcindiana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Being from Indiana, I am sort of an expert on incest. Laughing
Just kidding. Actually, this subject has had me scratching my head for a while. The fact that it appears in so many different shows makes me think there must be something attractive about this subject to the Japanese. This theme wouldn't be nearly as common if there weren't a market for it.
What does this imply? I don't really care. I'll let you ponder that one. Frankly, the subject doesn't bug me.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
jcindiana wrote:
The fact that it appears in so many different shows makes me think there must be something attractive about this subject to the Japanese.

It's part of a subject fairly common in all forms of artistic creations thoughout the history and around the globe: forbidden love.

Love between two married persons. Love between different social castes. Love between races. Love between two families hating each other for centuries. Love between two warring states. Love between the same sex. Love between kinship. Love between different life forms. Et cetera.

Incest relationships is just too much a taboo that many still can't accept it even in fictional form. Remember that interracial and same-sex romances were accepted into the mainstream (but still being resented by many) rather recently (~20-40 years, depending on regions and cultures), following the liberation of love between aristocrats and commoners less than a century ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dracoowl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
Hmmm first time I saw incest was in the new episodes of Fushigi Yuugi spoiler[where Tamahome lost his memories]. spoiler[A brother and a sister was in love but they died in the middle of the series -.-]
Not my stuff though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
I am a bit. I think people with siblings are bothered by this subject. If it's not too thorough I may brush it off, but if it's anything like the twins in Shakugan no Shana then I will definitely be bothered!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Now, if it is lesbian twincest, I'm all for that. Laughing Twisted Evil
Time and Space

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Love between two married persons. Love between different social castes. Love between races. Love between two families hating each other for centuries. Love between two warring states. Love between the same sex. Love between kinship. Love between different life forms. Et cetera.

Incest relationships is just too much a taboo that many still can't accept it even in fictional form. Remember that interracial and same-sex romances were accepted into the mainstream (but still being resented by many) rather recently (~20-40 years, depending on regions and cultures), following the liberation of love between aristocrats and commoners less than a century ago.

(Heh, "love between two warring states" that leads me to wonder why the states are warring in the first place Confused )

Too many people are likening homosexual relationships and the taboo that once surrounded them, and incestuous relationships, which I feel are still rightly condemned for legitimate reasons. A gay couple is like a heterosexual couple in every way, except they cannot reproduce. Due to the secularisation of political intstitutions and western culture in general, old religious traditions about fulfilling the purpose of sex by creating children are no longer considered valid, even in various Christian denominations, and probably other religions. Our governments prohibit certain sexual acts, admittedly, sometimes for bad reasons, hence homosexuality was once condemned, but concerning incest, the reason is legitimate. Sexual relations between two who share the same parents are more likely to produce offspring who have debilitating genetic mutations, therefore banning such acts seems to be the best way to prevent such misfortunes. Regardless of this, it would be supremely inefficient of our genetic survival if we were to reproduce with our blood relatives because we could not produce children, as a result, it is highly likely that built within our DNA is a process whereby we are made to recognise who our siblings are, and if we ever think about having sex with them, we do so with revulsion. There are likely exceptions, as is evident with homosexuals.

However, unless one is strongly swayed by some kind of slippery slope argument, then it is easy for someone to dismiss all of this and simply say "contraception", and if a brother and sister produce together a deformed child, then it can be aborted, which is another moral dilemma altogether. But don't forget slippery slope...innumerable abortions...admission of zoophilia...necrophilia(any objections? I can't think of any...you could pimp out your dead grandmother...ugh sorry)...even paedophilia?

This topic is just wrong actually, I think I wrote too much and I thought I was on an Anime message board.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
There's actually a new thread for this topic open so let's move the discussion over to that one which you can find here. We don't really need two threads going on the same topic and as this one was dead for 2 years it's best just to use the newer thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5