• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fractale's French Simulcast Still Continues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
No, it doesn't. Because a license to stream in the UK is going to be a heck of a lot more expensive than a license to stream in Tunisia.

It's not like every region has the same amount of cost associated with its region licensing. It would be quite foolish to think that.
Yeah, everyone knows the UK internet is a series of tubes that are so thin that streaming is a sport reserved to the tyrant mobster kings of Glasgow.

I mean, of course, don't you know anything about science?

Wow, so Manga UK is based in Glasgow now? I knew things had gotten bad for them since the 90's, but I didn't think it had gotten that bad.
No, the Monster Tyrant Kings of Glasgow rule the UK and takes the tubes for themselves.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Crunchyroll is global. It doesn't print DVDs (or did that 5cm/second DVD/Bluray ever come out lol?).

Whereas FUNimation is primarily using these streams to promote sales of its physical media, of which it only really cares about North America. Not too hard to figure out their business plan.

Yeah, but the thread is about streaming. I never mentioned DVD releases. If Funi is using streaming as an advertising means, too bad for them. That's bad marketing, because they should be aiming to make money with it if they want to get in the streaming market; if they don't want to, all the more to take Fractale from them.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
Advertising works in regions.

Why would American advertising companies agree to pay money for something that is going to be streamed in Australia? Or the UK?

They want it, but just for their area. If Manga UK or Madman want to stream Fractale for their respective area, or if Crunchyroll wants to take it for the rest of the world, I'm sure they have that ability. It didn't stop the French at least Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
Nah, I meant advertising what they might license and release on disc.

I know that someone is building a streaming platform over here. Not sure if it's Manga, though. But to be fair, I'd rather have Beez.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Wait. Funimation has to cancel their 360p stream, but France can keep it's FREE 1080p going?

What bullshit.

I think the theories about English subtitles possibly being put on the JP DVD or BDs being the reason for the US stream getting yanked are starting to sound a little more realistic.

here is a teaser for you, I have crispin freeman on my tweet list, and his last tweet had a link to an article by Yutaka Yamamoto and guess what he had to say about fractale.....

Quote: His latest anime series, "Fractale," to be aired from Jan. 13 on Fuji Television Network Inc., will target non-anime fans and one-time fans who have shifted away from the genre. Yamamoto said he hopes to create an interface with prospective fans overseas through such measures as adding subtitles to his works.

Link to entire article: http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201101050206.html

so maybe this is bigger than we think.....
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
peachsncreamsoda wrote:
And even if they weren't getting it from French streams, like someone said before, won't they just do it now? I mean I was always under the impression that they (the people i guess who do the illegal subbing/posting and what have you) get the stuff where ever and how ever they can. Sure, maybe it was easier to get it through Funi but it's not like thats really gonna stop too many people. And how much easier really was it to get it that way? And I guess the subber who didn't get it from Funi's stream got it from a RAW or something right?

Fansubs groups often have a "raw provider", e.g. someone in Japan who records the who for them and sends it straight to them - probably as amultigigabyte .ts file. Otherwise, they just download the first raw to appear on Perfect Dark or Share. To get wakanim's streams they would need someone in France willing to rip the stream for them - why bother when they already have the contacts to get it from Japan, faster and probably in higher quality (since the TV streams are less compressed)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rowsdower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

here is a teaser for you, I have crispin freeman on my tweet list, and his last tweet had a link to an article by Yutaka Yamamoto and guess what he had to say about fractale.....

Quote: His latest anime series, "Fractale," to be aired from Jan. 13 on Fuji Television Network Inc., will target non-anime fans and one-time fans who have shifted away from the genre. Yamamoto said he hopes to create an interface with prospective fans overseas through such measures as adding subtitles to his works.

Link to entire article: http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201101050206.html

so maybe this is bigger than we think.....

That's a great idea, Yamamoto! Because it's a well-known fact that every single person in America can play Region 2 discs!

Oh wait, none of my anythings can do that, at least without hacking and breaking a few warranties.

I guess it's a good thing I thought the first episode of Fractale was tepid, cliched, and droppable, then!
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess it's a good thing I thought the first episode of Fractale was tepid, cliched, and droppable after the first episode, then!

Agreed that every first episode is disposable after the first episode. But Fractale isn't. Even if they tried to make it a huge hit and failed, it's still a high quality art and refreshing story.
InsaneLampshade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:

That's a great idea, Yamamoto! Because it's a well-known fact that every single person in America can play Region 2 discs!

Meh, everyone outside of America bought region free DVD players, I didn't know they still made region locked ones, lol.

You'll just have to buy the blu-ray version.

Last edited by InsaneLampshade on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:

Isn't it equally well known that the Americas and East Asia share the Blu-ray Region A?
rowsdower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
rowsdower wrote:

Isn't it equally well known that the Americas and East Asia share the Blu-ray Region A?

All of these would be very good points if I owned a Blu-Ray player, or had intentions of buying one any time soon. Not much of a point when I don't even have an HDTV. If I had to choose between paying my tuition, related fees, rent, groceries, every utility bill under the sun, and car insurance... or an HDTV and Blu-Ray player for a show I found uninspiring outside of its background art by a director who has never worked on anything I found interesting, I'm afraid I'll be taking the former.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
If I had to choose between paying my tuition, related fees, rent, groceries, every utility bill under the sun, and car insurance... or an HDTV and Blu-Ray player for a show I found uninspiring outside of its background art by a director who has never worked on anything I found interesting, I'm afraid I'll be taking the former.

#1 Anime is expensive. Both to make and to purchase.

#2 Some of us can afford to pay the bills and buy HDTVs/BR players. Life is unfair, but that's just how it is.

#3 Clearly, if you don't like the show, you are not the intended audience for any physical media release regardless.

#4 It's going to get a cheaper DVD release by FUNimation later, which the vast majority of NA interested in owning the show will buy. If you can't afford that, you can always rent or borrow from a friend.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

#4 It's going to get a cheaper DVD release by FUNimation later, which the vast majority of NA interested in owning the show will buy. If you can't afford that, you can always rent or borrow from a friend.

It baffles me the blind fate people have that Funi will release a DVD after losing the chance to publicize the show using simulcasts. I repeat myself, how many show you have buy on amazon that you had not already seen? What makes you think that people will buy a DVD for a show they have never seen? It is not a worthy investment for Funi if the fanbase is just a few dozen fans.
rowsdower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

#1 Anime is expensive. Both to make and to purchase.

#2 Some of us can afford to pay the bills and buy HDTVs/BR players. Life is unfair, but that's just how it is.

#3 Clearly, if you don't like the show, you are not the intended audience for any physical media release regardless.

#1 and #2: I know this, and I don't mind it. I recently started law school, so while I can just barely scrape by at the moment, chances are good I'll be able to afford such luxuries later. I don't resent those who can easily afford them now, though I do prefer that they not consider themselves the norm.

#3: While I personally may be indifferent to Fractale and am therefore out of the purchasing equation altogether (no arguments there), I know there are others in my financial boat who would enjoy it. And this really leads into #4.

#4: What makes you so certain Funimation will release DVD discs (or any Fractale media at all, for that matter)? If the speculation that Yamamoto et al wish to reach out to an overseas audience by adding English subtitles to Japanese DVD/Blu-Ray is true, why bother with Funimation at all? If that's the road they wish to take, there's really no point in getting Funimation involved. They may feel it's more profitable/cost-effective/what have you to bypass North American licensing altogether. After all, North American DVDs and Blu-Rays are typically much less expensive than their Japanese counterparts. Why not pull a Kara no Kyoukai and make the importation of pricey English-subtitle-equipped Japanese Blu-Rays the only option? They may not get licensing fees from Funimation, but they may feel that's a negligible loss.

In other words, if those remarks from Yamamoto are legitimate, it leaves North American audiences with few options: import pricey Japanese Blu-Rays/DVDs sight unseen (or seen, if one goes the fansub route), watch the series illegally so the Fractale production crew never sees a dime, or don't watch Fractale at all.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
It baffles me the blind fate people have that Funi will release a DVD after losing the chance to publicize the show using simulcasts. I repeat myself, how many show you have buy on amazon that you had not already seen? What makes you think that people will buy a DVD for a show they have never seen? It is not a worthy investment for Funi if the fanbase is just a few dozen fans.

It's not like the majority aren't simply going to download the illegal version. Or are they? Or well, just tell me what that 30k downloads of the second episode alone on a certain torrent site represents. Now tell me what's the average viewing Funi gets.
You don't really believe that everyone who watches it fansubbed won't buy it, do you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6