• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trends in hyperviolence in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcsinn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I think Key originally was just looking for some ideas and feedback? A few of us are trying to take it a bit further. If you feel the thread has “degenerated” then help us get it back on track.... If you are trying to say that its all futile, well ok but we still may get something out of the discussion.

All I said was that only a few were contributing to a discussion of anything, the majority of the thread has degenerated into a list of anime that may or may not contain violence. In that context, it has degenerated.

Here is another example of putting words in my mouth ... where did I say all was futile. I find the insinuation that I could contribute a bit insulting. Have I not contributed simply because I largely disagree with the popular opinion? I gave a definition, a controversial one, but no one else has offered a definition at all. I observed that discussion of a topic poorly defined is almost impossible because no one is sure what the other commenter actually meant.

That's not to say that people aren't entitled to their opinions, simply an observation that it is hard to discuss what you can not fully understand.

I questioned how one can say there is trend to towards 'hyper-violence' and then state that there have been very few of these types of shows over the past couple of seasons. Isn't that contradictory? Well off to work - maybe more later if you're interested.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
The reason why we haven't been debating the definition of "hyperviolence" is because most of us are well aware of what Key means by "hyperviolence". There's no need to discuss what is already fairly obvious.

In fact, pretty much the only person who doesn't know is you, wcsinn.

There's violence, and then there's violence that makes normal violence look tame by comparison, i.e. hyperviolence.

A guy punching another guy in the face casing the victim to fall over and leaving a small bruise that is gone before the episode ends is violence. A guy punching another guy in the face so hard that the jaw detaches and is sent flying is hyperviolence.

A sword slicing into an arm leaving a cut and causing some drops of blood to hit the ground is violence. A sword being thrown so hard it embeds itself in a guys neck with blood gushing everywhere, that's hyperviolence.

Guy gets beaten up by some bullies in an alleyway and then goes home and mopes is violence. Guy gets kidnapped, stripped naked and tortured until his mind breaks and he chokes to death on his own intestines is hyperviolence.

Guy breaks another guy's neck cleanly with no blood and a simple sound effect is violence. Guy rips off another guy's head and pulls the spine - still somehow attached to the head - out of the body is hyperviolence.

Do I need to go on?

There are as many levels of violence as there are ways to hurt someone. However, most people instinctively know what 'normal' violence is and when it crosses the line to become hyperviolence.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
I want to know what the ulterior motive is. Surely by now, it can be released to the public, right?

I wish I could offer more to the discussion, but I can't. Simply put, my memory does no justice toward this discussion because I can't package "ultra violence" into a title that's non-memorable.

I've seen Deadman Wonderland and I recall no scenes of ultra violence. No, I do not need a reminder as I couldn't care less. I felt the overall series was forgettable, so it's not surprising I recall nothing of it.

Two of my favorites, When They Cry and Elfen Lied remain memorable because of what they did: went beyond the scope of adult bloodshed and brought in children. Call me cynical to believe this wouldn't have the same impact if the kids weren't involved. When something goes that far out to capture the audience, it tends to stick with them.

High School of the Dead, to me, doesn't count because it's a zombie movie and any gore within it is standard expectation, when the emphasis is on survival, and not one who has become a zombie and has to deal with it.

I'll also point out there's a flaw with the "science" behind tracking these types of series, as noted with the "drop off" in the early 2000s, and that's because production committees copycat successes by emulating elements (they believe) suddenly become popular.

I don't think anyone where will deny the early 2000s is also when anime started getting bombarded with the moe invasion, which quickly "infested" the industry and remains to this day.

If there is a resurgence in the making, then one should ask what series ignited it. Could it be the mildly successful High School of the Dead? The re-release/booting of another classic series?

Something triggered it, and you can bet if the audience paid to see it, there's going to be more of it coming, even if it means in the form of a series where a guy is lapping up the saliva of another classmate.

I believe the goal is more "shock value" than hyperviolence, as this tends to do well in regard to word of mouth. Ask yourself this: did you check out Mysterious Girlfriend X because it sounded good or the talk about the saliva?

Heh. I've yet to see it, but I'll admit the hype definitely has me interested in it, not the actual show itself. I'm not afraid to admit this, because if fans feel disgusted by something, I'm like a moth to a flame.

This is how I discovered Elfen Lied and When They Cray, two titles whose descriptions don't come close of telling us what it actually delivers.

Well, that's all I can add. My apologies for not giving more examples to the discussion, but when you've seen anime as long as I have, you'll too discover series simply vanish from memory because they're forgettable, regardless how violent they were (or were not).
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The reason why we haven't been debating the definition of "hyperviolence" is because most of us are well aware of what Key means by "hyperviolence". There's no need to discuss what is already fairly obvious.

In fact, pretty much the only person who doesn't know is you, wcsinn.

There's violence, and then there's violence that makes normal violence look tame by comparison, i.e. hyperviolence.

A guy punching another guy in the face casing the victim to fall over and leaving a small bruise that is gone before the episode ends is violence. A guy punching another guy in the face so hard that the jaw detaches and is sent flying is hyperviolence.

A sword slicing into an arm leaving a cut and causing some drops of blood to hit the ground is violence. A sword being thrown so hard it embeds itself in a guys neck with blood gushing everywhere, that's hyperviolence.

Guy gets beaten up by some bullies in an alleyway and then goes home and mopes is violence. Guy gets kidnapped, stripped naked and tortured until his mind breaks and he chokes to death on his own intestines is hyperviolence.

Guy breaks another guy's neck cleanly with no blood and a simple sound effect is violence. Guy rips off another guy's head and pulls the spine - still somehow attached to the head - out of the body is hyperviolence.

Do I need to go on?

There are as many levels of violence as there are ways to hurt someone. However, most people instinctively know what 'normal' violence is and when it crosses the line to become hyperviolence.

by that criteria ^ neon genesis which Key would definitely denounce as unfitting is Hyperviolent. the battle scenes with the angels showed way beyond simple impacts and "blood"shed but it doesn't qualify because they are robots fighting even though each fight seems to make the pilots spew blood like fountains.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Well, violence against giant monsters is a bit removed from violence against humans.

I would argue that there are some parts of Neon Genesis Evangelion that are definitely hyperviolent. Like when spoiler[Unit 01 decides it's a bit peckish and snacks on Zeruel, and Unit 02 getting savaged by the mass-produced Evas in the movie with all the entrails and oh my god that was scary.]

But is Evangelion violent enough overall to be considered hyperviolent? I don't know.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
Here is another example of putting words in my mouth ... where did I say all was futile.
Well I think when you say its unnecessary and silly:
Quote:
IMHO as the list grows longer the attempt to classify most of them as some sort of hyper/ultra violent not only become unnecessary but in many cases down right silly.
You also seem to question the purpose of trying to break violence down into categories and therefore challenge the basis of this thread here:
Quote:
I said I don't understand the need for violence to become hyper-violence or ultra violence. Violence is violence, the person getting the crap kicked out them isn't going to differentiate.
Can you understand how that might be interpreted that the whole endeavor is futile?

Quote:
I find the insinuation that I could contribute a bit insulting.
Hey man, what I’m getting is hostility from your statements. All I was basically saying is “let’s talk about it”. How a friendly invitation to discussion becomes “insulting” is beyond me. Do you really think I was trying to insult you? Really? Well, it’s a bit insulting to me how you keep ascribing nefarious intentions to my statements.

Quote:
Have I not contributed simply because I largely disagree with the popular opinion?
I’m going to take this to mean that you believe that I think you have not contributed. Well, perhaps this may disappoint you, but I think you have contributed especially in the discussion of Another. I never said you were not contributing.

Quote:
I observed that discussion of a topic poorly defined is almost impossible because no one is sure what the other commenter actually meant.
I acknowledged that this was a possibility and was open to suggestions on definitions or parameters. Instead you took my friendly invitation for more discussion to be somehow “insulting”.

Quote:
I questioned how one can say there is trend to towards 'hyper-violence' and then state that there have been very few of these types of shows over the past couple of seasons. Isn't that contradictory?
Since I didn’t make that statement I will let the person who did answer that.

Since this isn't getting the thread anywhere I will attempt to get back to discussing anime.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
To add to what others have said, we are not just listing extremely violent shows just for the sake of it wcsinn. The purpose of the list is so that when it is more complete, we should be able to see a trend in the amount of hyper-violent shows per year. From this, we may even be able to pinpoint a 'culprit' causing a resurgence.

On that note, adding to the list: Kai Doh Maru (2001), Nekojiru Gekijō (1999), Kurozuka (2008), and Judge (1991).
And for a couple more 'memory isn't serving me well' titles:
Armitage III (1995), Blue Gender (1999), Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage (2006), and Btooom! (2012).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
...in Sword of the Stranger, there is certainly a happy end, but it starts off with a small melee, where blood is splattered everywhere, appendages are chopped off, and all sorts of things. There are a few more fights of similar magnitude...However, there are periods of downtime between the fighting that serve to tell a deeper story and sometimes comes off as sweet.
I think this is kind of interesting. How much does the tone of the show/movie/OVA color our perceptions of the violence it contains? Some examples:

1. Afro Samurai seems to be invested in trying to be cool whether its through its music, visuals, dialogue or choice of voice actors. So is the violence then made cool too?

2. Black Lagoon series is soaked in violence. We have high body counts, murder, the killing of children, maiming, beheading, etc. But it also has its elements of dark humor. Does the humor distract us from the violence and therefore make it more appealing?

So, do the warmer moments of Sword of the Stranger make the violence appear less shocking? Do some works appear not to qualify for an extreme violence tag because other elements in the work help to downplay it?

bonbonsrus wrote:
I was reading though this and realized that somehow Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan was missed from this list. I think that one certainly qualifies for the list you are making.
I've heard of it, but never seen it. Any info on what qualifies it? [edit] I'll add it to the list.

Tris8 wrote:
On that note, adding to the list: Kai Doh Maru (2001), Nekojiru Gekijō (1999), Kurozuka (2008), and Judge (1991).
Armitage III (1995), Blue Gender (1999), Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage (2006), and Btooom! (2012).
Question are we now going to go further back than 2000? I thought Key was mainly interested in what's happened since 2000.

Last edited by One-Eye on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
I was reading though this and realized that somehow Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan was missed from this list. I think that one certainly qualifies for the list you are making.
I've heard of it, but never seen it. Any info on what qualifies it?
Oh, this definitely qualifies. An 'angel', Dokuro-chan spends her days 'protecting' a boy who has been sentenced to death by heaven. But she has a horrible temper and several times each episode graphically kills him by beheading, rending him in half, or bludgeoning him to death. She can revive him so he doesn't permanently die, but the literal fountains of blood easily qualify this title.

One-Eye wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Question are we now going to go further back than 2000? I thought Key was mainly interested in what's happened since 2000.
Hm, dunno. But it would probably be easiest to stick with 2000-2012 and not bite off more than we can chew. This way we can be more focused.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm nixing Blue Gender as qualifying for this list, as it's more intense than intensely graphic. The Armitage III properties don't get especially graphic, either. Btooom! is iffy for making the cut, too.

And NGE is more a case of having a couple of extreme scenes than being generally hyperviolent. I'd even apply that to End of Evangelion.

As for others that qualify, the first Mardock Scramble movie absolutely (and, I think, uncontestably) does; the second one is more ambiguous, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5