• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Parts 1 + 2] (TV) [Phantom Blood + Battle Tendency].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
dragoneyes001, your next line will be...

"jojo anime sucks okay? get over it because i'm done with you guys."

I can't wait for Battle Tendency Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
Episode Three:

Laughing x a million! JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is made up of a single element that hithertofore has not appeared on the Periodic Table. That element? Awesominium in its purest form.

I love how this show makes normal "over-the-topness" seem understated. If you are the type of viewer that needs action to conform to some vague notion of reality, don't watch - your brains will melt out your ears and Dio will lick them up.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
I think my testosterone level increased just from watching the third episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

No lie! My chest hair is definitely bushier.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
Man episode 3 was just pure awesome, and there's only going to be more awesome from here. Was kinda surprised Dio's "urraaayyy" sound was really included in the anime but it somehow managed to be both creepy and ridiculous at the same time Laughing
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

4 years after premiere of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure:
The world is now dystopia.After scientists have discovered that simply by watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure you develop strength that suppresses limitations of human bodies,several people started abusing this power.Then the war began between people who watched Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and rest of civilization(few Mormons).The Mormons won and now everybody lives in "utopia"(Utah and Cleveland).But the question imposes,can there be true happiness in a world without Jojo?Our 1036527647 little Mormons are about to find out as they embark on the adventure that will change the fate of humanity!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Dio's totally playing Jojo.
That kid is so naive it's ridiculous!
Dio on the other hand is rotten to the core.
I'm glad Jojo's father finally got to see real Dio.
Once again Dio took something precious from Jojo.
Now he's even a vampire... that's beyond bad.]

This was an amazing episode!
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see the shiny and fabulous RIPPLES(hamon)!!!!!

Oh yeah and dragoneyes001, I bet you haven't predicted this yet: spoiler[Jonathan's Grandson Joseph Joestar fights against AZTEC VAMPIRES, each one name after bands/musicians.

Then the Great Grandson, Jotaro, is a young Japanese/American Clint Eastwood badass that Travels throughout Asia to fight against the Fabulous Vampire Dio in Egypt to save his mother from an illness.

THEN! We meet Joseph Joestar's illegitimate son pitted against a serial killer with an amazing stand named after one of many Queen's amazing songs, KILLER QUEEN!

Hell, I could keep going but we should all be enjoying this Bizarre series and talking about it like good-hearted gentlemen, don't you think?]
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
My apologies for not reading EVERY response in this thread...

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is one of the greats [great manga publications, if not anime adaptations]. It's simultaneously truly classic and utterly unique among the shonen-type stories. Did anyone yet mention that Jojo holds the distinction of being the 2nd-longest running manga published by Shueisha? There's nothing else like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and the series influenced many of the mangakas and animators responsible for our favorite anime titles [I think I can take that liberty here; certainly ANN forum-goers must have favorite anime titles in common]. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure seems to be similar to a title like One Piece in certain respects: it's a huge, sprawling adventure story, the art style is and was often criticized for its departure from more classic 'anime-style' executions, and it's now considered one of the seminal works within its genre.

Some of my buddies and I who enjoy watching anime have adopted a 'three episode rule' of sorts for this type of problem. We give an anime series the benefit of the doubt for AT LEAST 3 episodes before we begin to form a solid opinion of the show. If those who were in doubt about this show from having watched the first episode actually made it to the third episode, then I feel those people were in luck. By the third episode, you can get a sense that the story is WILDLY unpredictable [I personally shun the practice of gauging predictability], that the feel and style is WAY over the top quite intentionally, and that it's not going to be a one-sided, ethically ambiguous cruelty fest [the third episode finally sees the emphasis of the two opposing forces, "gentleman's" honor and virtue versus the poverty and wickedness inherent in choosing to live by deceit, violence, and greed].

DavidShallcross, thank you for the link to the "1000 Manga" column.

That said, being an OLD fan of this manga, I must comment on how impressed I am with this anime adaptation. IMHO, they really nailed it.

Blood-
Quote:
If you are the type of viewer that needs action to conform to some vague notion of reality, don't watch - your brains will melt out your ears and Dio will lick them up.

Absolutely!! You get it.

Also, it seems that most of the reviewers who wrote the Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide were not familiar with the manga either... it looks like several watched only the first episode and gave up. It drives me nuts to think that they're potentially missing out on one of the great ones.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the JoJo thread, Pablo_Equis. I haven't read any of the JoJo manga, but this show is making me want to, that's for sure. Pity it is one of the few titles this season that has not yet got a legit stream. There's absolutely no question I'd buy the hell out of this puppy if it gets the R1 treatment.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Good news for the fans of Jojo. The director of best episode of OVA version (you know what I am talking about ,the one episode with cards)will be directing the fourth episode of this TV series.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The Director from the D'arby The Gambler episode is gonna direct the fourth episode of JOJO!?

OH MY GOD!!!!!!
underlock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

Yeah, I also noticed that on me since Jojo came out.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
And so the storm of manliness continues with episode 4. Jojo goes for some good old fashioned shonen training (which we thankfully don't have to sit through) and Dio continues to be more of a prick by recruiting Jack the Ripper of all people(guess we know why he dissappeared suddenly Laughing ).

Also Speedwagon continues to be hilarious almost everytime he's on screen despite still being kind of questionable why he's there in the first place.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Miss Erin Pendleton back in the picture. I wonder if...

*gasp!*

...you guys don't think Dio would do anything to her again just to get back at JoJo, do you??? I mean, even Dio wouldn't be that diabolical, would he???

Anyway, I'm totes gonna carry a glass of merlot with me next time I go out ass-kicking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13